Zerostart tank heaters any good? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are better than nothing. Probably not as effective at heating the block as the standard block heater, but they do seem to keep more heat moving through the heater core, which in turn will help prevent your windshield from completely frosting up everynight.

My own preference is for the magnetic oil pan heater, unless you have an aluminium alloy oil pan.

I use the Kats oil pan heater PLUS a block heater. I also have the tank heater installed. The tank heater uses 850W compared to 400W for the block heater, and it heats EVERYTHING up, including the windshield. The oil pan heater is a 150w device that sticks on with some kind of adhesive, and is also quite effective, and was the easiest to install. The tank heater was tricky to install. If the place is really cold, install all three, and put it on a timer for 2-3 hrs.

That same company makes a heater that adheres to the block or pan with a strong magnet. I found it to be very easy to use and quite effective.

Where will you be that you need a block heater? And on what?

They're virtually unheard of around WI, but everytime I'm online it seems like they're very popular in other regions. I'm not sure why.

Zerostart makes an inline coolant heater that the VW diesel community uses commonly. It is not a "tank" heater, nor does it circulate fluid. The advantage is quicker heat in winter and less wear on cold parts.

I used a Temro Zerostart 1500 watt tank heater on my old '85 Olds Delta 88. It was MUCH more effective at warming the engine than the stock block heater. I'd have heat very quickly, and the engine would turn over at even -30 as if it was a summer morning. They splice into your heater hose, so you have to make sure your heater valve won't interfere (my Olds was a factory non a/c car so it had no heater valve). Also you have to mount the heater as low as the engine block drain for the thermo syphoning to work (not a problem with my Olds' huge engine bay).

I currently use a block heater and oil pan heater on my daily driver. Not as effective as the tank heater alone, but my oil is heated so I am sure I get less start-up wear. I just installed a new Temro frost plug heater in my brother's car last week when I changed his rad. They are very easy to install (as long as you have room around the frost plug), less work than a tank heater. Even a block heater alone will make a huge difference in starting performance.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Where will you be that you need a block heater? And on what?

They're virtually unheard of around WI, but everytime I'm online it seems like they're very popular in other regions. I'm not sure why.

I'm in the process of buying an 07 Jeep Liberty 3.7L for a great price. I'm going to be "hopefully", headed home to NY for a while this winter and will be spending some time in Canada as well.

I'm not crazy about removing a freeze out plug, but would consider it. I've read a lot about the Wolverine heaters which heat the oil pan, seems good, but I want life to be easy, and if a pan heater and a block heater is the ticket I'd like both.

Naturally the Wolverine people are saying their oil pan heaters are all I need no matter where I live.

AD

Originally Posted By: flanso
That same company makes a heater that adheres to the block or pan with a strong magnet. I found it to be very easy to use and quite effective.

Do they make a magnetic block heater? The block is pretty thick, I'm wondering if it would do anything at all. I like the Wolverine oil pan heater idea, but something to warm the coolant is a good idea too. I just don't want to pull a freeze-out plug.

AD

Like I said earlier, I have both a frost plug block heater and Wolverine 250 watt pan heater. I've used the Wolverine alone and it does reduce starting effort, but the engine doesn't really warm up any faster. The block heater greatly reduces the warm up time, and also helps improve fuel economy.

The magnetic heaters are only for the oil pan as far as I know. I have not seen any for warming the block.

If you don't want to knock the frost plug out, it won't cost that much to get it done at a garage.

In all honesty though, your vehicle will start fine unassisted as long as it's in proper tune. But as a BITOG member, I am sure you are looking to reduce wear and improve the efficiency.

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
But as a BITOG member, I am sure you are looking to reduce wear and improve the efficiency.

Bingo! How difficult is installing a block heater via knocking out a freeze out plug on a 3.7L Jeep Engine? I don't have my father close by, as my safety net. LOL

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back