zero tolerance = zero common sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally off the chart stupid. Paddle, in-school suspension, or some other minor punishment.

Judge would find school in contempt for waste if he had any balls.

Bob

They're money wasters. As though the court needed the added traffic. I'd have given the kid the $0.40 and told him to go pay for it.

Demolition Man: "..but not for food.."

In elementary school, they had a jar that the adults kept filled with change so that little kids who had forgot their lunch money or didn't have any, still got lunch.

Of course, this is a fifteen year old at issue, and not a six year old, and maybe somebody ought to do this kid a favor and lay a little tough love on him and tell him that if his family is so impoverished they can't spare him forty cents for lunch, then he ought to get a job after school where an hours labor would feed him for two weeks.

Mom's standard: "I think the school was heartless," she said. "Every child has a different situation and they didn't take that into account." isn't going to do anything for her children but cause them additional problems later in life.

If I were the judge and he were called into my courtroom for a petty theft, I'd give all of them a good lecture.

Originally Posted By: Win

If I were the judge and he were called into my courtroom for a petty theft, I'd give all of them a good lecture.

I'm glad you're not a judge.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Totally off the chart stupid. Paddle, in-school suspension, or some other minor punishment.

Judge would find school in contempt for waste if he had any balls.

Bob

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
What's the nonsense part?

Putting him away for life for stealing donuts, or, being stupid enough to steal donuts after doing two prison terms for felony robbery (robbery involves forcible compulsion or use of threats or fear on the victim - these are the most despicable and dangerous of thieves, because sometimes people get killed during their crimes), and in a state that has a three strikes and you're out law?

For all we know, his moron donut escapade was another robbery, and I'll bet you dollars to donuts (pun intended) that this guy has a lot more on his rap sheet than just the two priors mentioned.

No sympathy from me. He's just another low life crook, albeit a stupid one. If the people of California want to lock him up for life, that's their business.

"We have a Zero Tolerance policy". Ah, yes, this recurring refrain from the totalitarian school officials, who have thereby purposely suspended their ability to reason and to handle problems in a reaonable manner. Their lust to impose their politically correct agenda upon students and their parents is terrifying. And we let them do this to us. Sheep that we are. This is nothing but an indication of the government officials, at all levels of government, local, state, and federal, letting us know that THEY are in charge, of US, and that we had better understand that. Government no longer exists for the people in this country. The people exist for the government. Which is the definition of facsim.

School lunches are subsidized for all at 40 cents and I remember if one were hard up they could get free lunch too, by filling out a form at the beginning of the school year.

If the kid had asked the right person before ripping off the lunch he could likely have gotten a one-time-only freebie, and a free lunch form to take home to his mom.

The whole family must live by the motto "it's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission".

I'm with Win, the mom should step up to the plate and accept responsibility. That she didn't have health insurance for that other child who had surgery (or six kids she couldn't quite afford) is somewhat of an indicator.

Let the kid sizzle. His mom isn't going to offer him any discipline or any straight and narrow course.

There is still tolerance in zero-tolerance situations, but if an administrator chooses not to go soft, the zero-tolerance policy is a firm-sounding backdrop. Good for him for standing up for law and order in the lunchroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back