Zerex G-05 compatible with 95 F150 4.9L six?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Zerex G-05 be used in my 95 F150 4.9L six? Currently it has a 'long life' coolant the prior owner had installed (orange color).

I've flushed systems before, but am concerned with gasket & cooling system component compatibility.

Thanks

Are you asking to mix the G05 with the current "orange" stuff"? Or are you asking about flushing it and installing all new G05?

Personally, I don't like to mix different chemistry.

To use G05? Ford recommends conventional "green" coolant earlier than 1999: http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/dealer/quickref/scuc.pdf

The decision will be yours, whether to go "by the book" or listen to the advice and anecdotes shared here.

Sorry, can't help any more. My choice would be "by the book".

Originally Posted By: Gearhead
Can Zerex G-05 be used in my 95 F150 4.9L six? Currently it has a 'long life' coolant the prior owner had installed (orange color).

I've flushed systems before, but am concerned with gasket & cooling system component compatibility.

Thanks

If you don't know EXACTLY what the "orange" stuff is, I would get it out ASAP. If its DexCool or anything else with 2EHA as part of the chemistry, it will attack certain gasket materials.

G-05 is probably the most universally compatible of all modern coolants and should be fine. If you can find a good conventional silicate antifreeze (Zerex MaxLife is an example) then that would be the "by the book" solution. If it were mine, I'd use G-05.

I'll be performing a complete system flush. Is there a reliable method to determine what type antifreeze is currently in my cooling system?

A '95 Ford should have had green conventional in it originally-but the PO may have changed it to the Ford orange-which COULD have been Dexcool/2-EHA related. Get it out of there, use GO-5 (my personal favorite) or Peak Global (everyone else's), either one does a fine job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back