Zerex Asian - Universal Coolant for Japanese Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zerez Asian is a great product.

Peak Global Lifetime also works well. It is similar to Zerex G05.

What's the difference between this Asian specific coolant and generic green coolant such as regular Prestone? What makes this suitable for Asian cars specifically?

Regular Prestone is not what we call "conventional green" Regular Prestone is all makes all models and has a green color but kind of a brighter green and it is basically Dexcool, denoted by the 2EH in it.

Conventional green that is sold under auto parts stores brands and all made by Peak is a formula containing silicates and not what we want in Asian vehicles.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Regular Prestone is not what we call "conventional green" Regular Prestone is all makes all models and has a green color but kind of a brighter green and it is basically Dexcool, denoted by the 2EH in it.

Conventional green that is sold under auto parts stores brands and all made by Peak is a formula containing silicates and not what we want in Asian vehicles.

Then why does Prestone even bother selling a Dexcool labeled product as well? And why are silicate not ok for Asian vehicles but are fine for American vehicles?

Last edited:
The Japanese are very focused on corrosion and silicates.

Pretty much all the non-OEM lifetime coolants are Dexcool (Havoline) clones and are the wrong thing for Japanese cars.

The noteworthy exceptions include Peak Global, Zerex G05, and, in the past few years, Zerex Asian.

I had used Peak Global in the past but I do like this Zerex Asian stuff.

I don't know if anyone has confirmed this, but it supposedly is made by CCI in Japan for Valvoline.

To build on this Asian silicates talk, I have two jugs of Prestone All Makes All Models in my basement and I just checked the back of the jugs. It clearly says, "Silicate, phosphate, borate, and nitrite free". I would not hesitate to use standard Prestone in an Asian vehicle.

All Makes All Model type coolants are usually dexcool clones which contain 2-EHA which most Asian manufacturers don't like.

Conventional green contains silicates which many also frown on.

I would have no problem using an AMAM in an Asian vehicle where the coolant doesn't come in contact with the IM gasket since the 2-EHA is a 'plasticizer' which eats at the gaskets that contain plastics (I think most newer gaskets have been upgraded to avoid this but I'm not sure about that). Even Ford is now using 2-EHA coolant in it's new vehicles.

I would also have no problem using conventional green in an Asian vehicle as long as it was changed every 2 years. The main issue with silicates is their tendency to attack water pump seals....this really isn't the problem it used to be since silicate levels have been greatly reduced in recent years.
Also, if you are doing a timing belt change every 90K you are usually changing out the water pump so preserving the seals becomes less important, IMO....

Having said that, I'll be using Peak Global in my 2008 Corolla when I change out the factory Toyota SLL (pink) this fall (approx 73K on the clock)...It doesn't have 2-EHA or silicates...

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs

Then why does Prestone even bother selling a Dexcool labeled product as well? And why are silicate not ok for Asian vehicles but are fine for American vehicles?

Prestone has already stated how the specific Dexcool products have a certain proportion of ingredients specific to GM's wishes and the All makes all models is very similar.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
To build on this Asian silicates talk, I have two jugs of Prestone All Makes All Models in my basement and I just checked the back of the jugs. It clearly says, "Silicate, phosphate, borate, and nitrite free". I would not hesitate to use standard Prestone in an Asian vehicle.

Many Japanese cars call for phosphates, something not found in Prestone amam. That is why I use OEM coolants in cars for my family.

I wonder if the Zerex Asian is backwards compatible? The reason I ask, I use the Zerex G-05 in my 02 Windstar and 04 Taurus. I use the Zerex Asian in my Mercury Milan (Duratec 2.5L).

Thanks
Joe D.

Great new formulation for the inquisitive mind who wants to prove a point.

Saving of $8 vs. Toyota Pink, the savings is noise in the grand scheme of things.

BTW, these long life coolants are super syrups. I just did my timing on my highlander and got the old pump out, I was surprised with 120K the pump was in exquisite condition - no nothing on it, that definitely speaks volumes of these long life coolants.

In the owners manuals there is one thing that the manufacturer insists and that is coolants (even plugs that were OEM are no longer insisted these days), so the combination of chemistry and coolants makes the whole thing work spot free and trouble free.

On my invoice I had $44 for coolant (2 gallons) the savings of $8/G is really noise for an educated mind.

Does "Japanese cars" mean to imply and include Korean cars...........Hyundai and Kia?

Originally Posted By: user52165
Does "Japanese cars" mean to imply and include Korean cars...........Hyundai and Kia?

The name is Zerex Asian which would seem to imply any asian make or model. But I would give them a call and ask.

It includes the Korean makes.
The Asian super duper long life coolants are all compatible.

Besides dealer coolants, AMAM, Peak Global, or Zerex Asian, Recochem/OEM-brand and BeckArnley are available in various colors.

Most are ~50:50 blended but Ford has it full strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back