ZDDP level of Rotella CK4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the ZDDP level of Shell Rotella T4 15W40 CK4?

Im looking for a JASO MA oil with 1200 ZDDP of greater.

Valvoline advised me that their motorcycle oils have 1120 ZDDP.

I believe the last VOA I saw listed the levels around 1000-1100 for zinc and phosphorous.

If you really need 1200+ then I think Brad Penn oils are pretty stout in that area. Mobil1 V-Twin 20W50 may also have higher ZDDP levels.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I think Valvoline VR-1 racing 20W-50 has over 1200.

Im looking for a JASO MA oil (wet clutch compatible motorcycle oil) with 1200 ZDDP or greater.

Right from their web site:

OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® T6 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil

API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4
ACEA E9; JASO DH-2; Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification
(DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/MA2,
Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

To me the real approval is the Allison TES 439
smile.gif

Most modern motorcycle engines use slipper cam/lifter arrangement. Very few use real spinning lifters on a cam (Harley and I don't know who else), so anything above about 1,000 PPM is quite adequate.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Most modern motorcycle engines use slipper cam/lifter arrangement. Very few use real spinning lifters on a cam (Harley and I don't know who else), so anything above about 1,000 PPM is quite adequate.

2012 Suzuki S40 650cc in my signature... very old engine, with flat tappets, online info says that at least 1200 ZDDP is required for this engine. Engine stretches out cam chains in less than 5000 miles requiring replacement in some cases as well. Of all the engines I own, I am under the impression that THIS one needs a stout oil.

Whatever you use, most wet clutch bikes will wear the viscosity down significantly by 2-3K miles so plan on
changing it frequently. The Rotella will likely be the best option...changing frequently won't cost so much.

I recall the new CK-4 Rotella T4 15w40 formual did not change and still contains 1200 ppm Zinc and 1100 ppm Phosphorus
thumbsup2.gif

Sorry I cannot find Shell documents to support this.

Last edited:
The CK-4 15w-40 dino "Triple Protection" T4 is also MA/MA2 advertised:

http://rotella.shell.com/products/rotella-triple-protection.html

ROTELLA® T4 Triple Protection OEM Specifications
15W-40 CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4; ACEA E9; JASO DH-2, MA, MA2; Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-3; Cummins CES 20086, 81; Detroit Fluids Specification (DFS) 93K222, 93K218; Deutz DQC III-10 LA; MACK EO-S 4.5, EO-O Premium Plus; MAN M3575; MB-Approval 228.31; MTU Category 2.1; Allison TES-439; Volvo VDS-4.5, VDS-4

Why not run a dedicated Powersports oil if you're seeking specific ZDDP? Redline would be a good choice, see below. Low NOACK at 9% over 2000 Zinc, 0w40. Specs below.

Good responses. The Rotella CK4 formula still looks good. I was under the (false) impression that they removed a lot of additives when they went to CK4 from CJ4. The Mobil 1 V Twin at 1750 ZDDP (and wet clutch compatible, according to them) looks like a winner. Its not JASO MA certified though, although I'm not sure that would matter in my application.

Likely, I will just try Rotella CK4 since its cheap, I have some in the garage, and the additive levels still look good.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Good responses. The Rotella CK4 formula still looks good. I was under the (false) impression that they removed a lot of additives when they went to CK4 from CJ4. The Mobil 1 V Twin at 1750 ZDDP (and wet clutch compatible, according to them) looks like a winner. Its not JASO MA certified though, although I'm not sure that would matter in my application.

Likely, I will just try Rotella CK4 since its cheap, I have some in the garage, and the additive levels still look good.

CK4 is basically better than CJ4 as long as the oil is not "dual rated" for diesel and gasoline.

It's the oils that are CK4/SN that have weaker additive packages because the SN spec limits ZDDP levels. If you can find any old CJ4/SM stuff then it'll be stout and ok to use.

Also be wary of oils that are JASO MA2 as this spec also limits ZDDP.

JASO MA is fine though.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
CK4 is basically better than CJ4 as long as the oil is not "dual rated" for diesel and gasoline.

It's the oils that are CK4/SN that have weaker additive packages because the SN spec limits ZDDP levels. If you can find any old CJ4/SM stuff then it'll be stout and ok to use.

Also be wary of oils that are JASO MA2 as this spec also limits ZDDP.

JASO MA is fine though.

Huh? I plan on running it in a motorcycle. A motorcycle that requires JASO MA. Shell Rotella is the only heavy duty engine oil that is advertised JASO MA. Care to elaborate on your post as it relates to the topic at hand? Shell Rotella is also JASO MA2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back