ZDDP level change after oil analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the conundrum. The search for the reasoning and science (if any exist) behind many people's steadfast selections of oil based on the most part from it's ZDDP content while at the same time completely overlooking the overall package.
Which of course gets us back to licenses and approvals where they actually do measure wear.

What does this thread conclude? Should mere mortals buy bottles of OptiLube ZDDP oil fortifier or syringes of TriboTech? I know of many people who down bottles of Vitamins every year and stay sick. How about just stick to frequent and shorter OCI with good oil?

Well, for my part the question remains unanswered specifically. I for one don't want to be that guy dumping things in oil with no actual clue as to what it is really doing to the overall package...no mad scientist moments for me.

Those are nothing more than tests for specific properties just as described in the above links...exercises in science if you will.
The ASTM tests and the J300 tests are scientific tests to predict behavior of lubricants using materials similar to materials found in drive trains and do a good job in their predictions..
That does nothing to describe the outcome of a specific oil for you or I.
Beyond laboratory (scientific) tests dyno and fleet tests are run to validate laboratory (scientific) tests, hence, licenses and approvals.
According to the general consensus My Stock Eliminator engine should be in shambles from it's paltry oil ZDDP content.
Whose consensus and why? In addition to the Anti-wear (phosphorus and sulfur atoms) and oxidation inhibition (zinc atoms) in the ZDDP molecule, there are other Anti-wear and friction modification chemistry contained in PCMOs.

Last edited:
The ASTM tests and the J300 tests are scientific tests to predict behavior of lubricants using materials similar to materials found in drive trains and do a good job in their predictions..
Never been suggested it was otherwise, however these do not address the question.
Beyond laboratory (scientific) tests dyno and fleet tests are run to validate laboratory (scientific) tests, hence, licenses and approvals.
Highly doubtful any of these tests revolve around the question posed about ZDDP. If any are found please link it up.
Whose consensus and why? In addition to the Anti-wear (phosphorus and sulfur atoms) and oxidation inhibition (zinc atoms) in the ZDDP molecule, there are other Anti-wear and friction modification chemistry contained in PCMOs.
I confirmed this early on in this thread. As to "whose" and "why"...are you serious? With all the virtual fist fights on various forums on this topic over the years and even today you still have need to ask that question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back