Zaino vs Duragloss

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK,OK...You've convinced me; I will try the Duragloss, but which product would be best for my situation? I have a bottle of Turtle Wax Ice that I'd like to use up. Following that, which Duragloss would be most appropriate?

Also, any suggestions on the best internet source for DG, as I have never seen it locally?

I would use the Turtle Wax Ice for the black rubber and plastic parts, and the Zaino or Duragloss for the painted surfaces. No point in putting either of those good products over the ICE. Search the board for Turtle Wax Ice, and see for yourself. JMO

BTW
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Originally Posted By: dangkevi
OK,OK...You've convinced me; I will try the Duragloss, but which product would be best for my situation? I have a bottle of Turtle Wax Ice that I'd like to use up. Following that, which Duragloss would be most appropriate?

Also, any suggestions on the best internet source for DG, as I have never seen it locally?

Since I've only used DG 101, that's the only one I can recommend, however I highly recommend it. You don't have to use up the Ice, you can do like I do and start a collection of different waxes. I have some Turtle Wax, and assortment of Mcguiar's products, and the Zaino, but I now find myself going back to the 101 for a couple of reasons; it's so easy to use and it looks so dam good!

One quick note about the 101. Since it's a cleaner wax you can't put on multiple layers of it like you do with Zaino (not the AIO, it's also a cleaner wax), and some other finishing sealants. If that's what you're looking for then I'd suggest you try something other than the 101. If you're looking for a one application product that's durable and offers a show quality shine, then look no further than the DG 101.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I would use the Turtle Wax Ice for the black rubber and plastic parts, and the Zaino or Duragloss for the painted surfaces. No point in putting either of those good products over the ICE. Search the board for Turtle Wax Ice, and see for yourself. JMO

BTW
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

If you put either the Zaino AIO or DG 101 over the Ice it would just remove it because they are both cleaner waxes. Cleaner waxes don't layer like non-cleaner sealants do.

I understand that, my point is why waste any time with Ice at all? Especially when we're talking about quality products here?

I should have been more precise; the Ice product which I'd like to use up is the "Liquid Clay Bar" (which I don't see offered any longer on the Turtle Wax site). It requires a follow-up wax, which need not be of the cleaner wax type, I assume.

Does this change your Duragloss recommendation for me?

Oh, and any advice on a good internet source for Duragloss?

I don't have much faith in ICE products either. Honestly if you're going to do all that work, get a good clay bar, Mothers has a nice kit, then have at it.

AD

No this doesn't change my recommendation. And I'm sorry I forgot to list where you can buy DG. I don't know where you can get it online, but I do know it's available at NAPA automotive stores.

I should have been more precise; the Ice product which I'd like to use up is the "Liquid Clay Bar" (which I don't see offered any longer on the Turtle Wax site). It requires a follow-up wax, which need not be of the cleaner wax type, I assume.

Dump that Liquid Clay Bar garbage and get a real clay bar system like Clay Magic from Autozone. If you have a CarQuest local they carry most of Duragloss's product line. My favorites are the 501 and Aquawax.

Oh, if you can't get it locally, I would order it directly from their website, they often throw in samples of things.
55.gif

Just so it's known, DG 501 is not a cleaner wax. It would require the use of a clay bar or a pre-polish before applying it. I have heard good things about it though. I use the 101 because I like the one-step application.

Glad SOMEONE understands the purpose of the various DG products; their description on the web site is confusing at best. Seems to me that following a clay bar treatment it would be appropriate to use the 111 formulation, which does not contain abrasive cleaners.

Grampi,on the DG web site, I find one-oh-five, but not the five-oh-one that you mention.

Glad SOMEONE understands the purpose of the various DG products; their description on the web site is confusing at best. Seems to me that following a clay bar treatment it would be appropriate to use the 111 formulation, which does not contain abrasive cleaners.

Grampi,on the DG web site, I find one-oh-five, but not the five-oh-one that you mention.

Maybe it is 105. I may have been having a dislexic moment. Whatever it is, I've heard good things about it, but I do know it doesn't have any abrasives in it.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I always considered clay baring your car should be standard before polishing.

I do too unless I'm using a product that has an abraisive in it. DG 101 does.

I contacted Duragloss from their website concerning 501 and its cleaning abilities and here is what Duragloss responded with:

Quote:
Charlie,

The 501 has more cleaning properties than the other polishes. It makes a great cleaner/wax.

Thanks and God Bless,

Jerry, Technical Support

Comment or Feedback:

Hello Duragloss,

I purchased your #501 Marine & RV polish and have had fantastic results using it on my car. But, I have been wondering how its cleaning ability compares to your #101 and #111. Can #501 be used as a comparable cleaner wax?

Thank you for your input.

Below are the links for both the 105 and the 501. The 501 is part of DG's marine division. I know a professional detailer that uses it on a vehicles chrome trim...he says it has crazy cleaning power. Others use it to clean the paint prior to applying some protection. Both products are very well regarded. Since the 501 has some sealant in it I suppose you can just apply and be done or top with some AW.

http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=308
http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=336

The 105 is similiar to 101 except that the 101 has some fine abrasives in it and the 105 does not. This gives the 101 some polishing abilities to take out light scratches(micro) that come from car washes with brushes etc.

For the first time I used some Duragloss Aquawax. Its a liquid spray sealant. After washing spray on then dry. The surface is very slick afterwards and it smells like coconuts. People on autopia buy it by the gallon. I think its around $34(gallon) if I'm not mistaken and around $8 for 24oz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back