Z-Alt Muscle Car Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been testing this Z-Alt oil in our lab since June of 2009, I must say I am impressed. I have ran an oil analysis testing lab for the last 14 years and have tested many different oils in the market for racing applications as well as diesel and industrial markets. One thing that got me really interested in this product was the fact I have a drag-race car that I run on the weekends and wanted to find an oil I could use to run my engine into the higher RPM's without being nervous at 150 mph @ 8.80 seconds.

I seen some interesting things with the Z-Alt oil when it comes to film strength and oxidation factors. I thought at first this was another Chlorine based product which scared me to death, but when tested, 0-ppm of Chlorine is present in this oil. I have seen many engine failures over the years due to Chlorine in oil additives. The long term effect these chlorine products have on bearings, oil galleries, pumps and more can cause major downtime failures for sure.

I ran 9 quarts of the Z-Alt oil in my drag car in early October at our final race of the season, after 8 times down the track I drained the oil and saved enough to run some test on. My wear metals numbers on FE, CR, PB and AL was very impressive compared to the other oil I ran previous in the season, a reduction was seen with the Z-Alt oil across the board. Also I noticed the oxidation was < 3.2 which proved to me the oil could withstand the heat I was putting to the engine durning the hard runs down the 1/4 mile.

Looking at the moly technology of the Z-Alt oil, I must say they found a way to make film strength that impressed our lab technicians and also proved to protect the moving parts of a high horse power engine. I hope in the future they offer other grades of oil for different applications for the street as well as diesel trucks.

Now, can somebody tell me where to get this oil besides their website? I only had 12 cans of the 20w50 and I cannot find a dealer in my area. I need to make sure and get some before March for racing season.

Originally Posted By: wileyE
the can shows it as a 20w50, the PDS as 8 cst ?

They also make a 10W30, not just the 20W50.

I think I might have to check it out.

Thanks for the info about the 10w30.

I forgot to let "WileyE" know when I tested the new 20w50, the viscosity was @ 18.8 @ 100cSt, I forgot in my last post, sorry.

I think their oil booster had a viscosity of 8.1 @ 100cSt. I seen this being used at a NHRA track in Vegas this year by some Mopar and Ford guys......

That add says that zddp has been REMOVED from modern oils, which any BITOGer knows that just aint true, simply lowered a few hundred PPM.

I have talked about this oil with my engine builder and other collectors.

We would like to see if this would really help with corrosion when old classic/muscle cars sit over a long period of time. They mention in the add about corrsion resistance but does this oil REALLY protect as good or better then other oils on the mkt.

Also would be curious on the exact amounts of Moly and ZDDP in the product.

The can is kind of cool. LOL.

Originally Posted By: Camman
I have been testing this Z-Alt oil in our lab since June of 2009, I must say I am impressed. I have ran an oil analysis testing lab for the last 14 years and have tested many different oils in the market for racing applications as well as diesel and industrial markets. One thing that got me really interested in this product was the fact I have a drag-race car that I run on the weekends and wanted to find an oil I could use to run my engine into the higher RPM's without being nervous at 150 mph @ 8.80 seconds.

I seen some interesting things with the Z-Alt oil when it comes to film strength and oxidation factors. I thought at first this was another Chlorine based product which scared me to death, but when tested, 0-ppm of Chlorine is present in this oil. I have seen many engine failures over the years due to Chlorine in oil additives. The long term effect these chlorine products have on bearings, oil galleries, pumps and more can cause major downtime failures for sure.

I ran 9 quarts of the Z-Alt oil in my drag car in early October at our final race of the season, after 8 times down the track I drained the oil and saved enough to run some test on. My wear metals numbers on FE, CR, PB and AL was very impressive compared to the other oil I ran previous in the season, a reduction was seen with the Z-Alt oil across the board. Also I noticed the oxidation was < 3.2 which proved to me the oil could withstand the heat I was putting to the engine durning the hard runs down the 1/4 mile.

Looking at the moly technology of the Z-Alt oil, I must say they found a way to make film strength that impressed our lab technicians and also proved to protect the moving parts of a high horse power engine. I hope in the future they offer other grades of oil for different applications for the street as well as diesel trucks.

Now, can somebody tell me where to get this oil besides their website? I only had 12 cans of the 20w50 and I cannot find a dealer in my area. I need to make sure and get some before March for racing season.

Very anecdotal and little documentation here. I'm curious, can you back some of these claims with? What oil where you using before?

Regards

This product is a gimmick for sure.
At 8 bucks a quart plus S&H for a GPII SG oil it's highway robbery.
Joe Gibbs Hot Rod oil is tailored to the same market and it is at least a GPIII syn plus it's cheaper.
Better still, just go with Red Line and get a PAO/POE syn in any grade you want with all the ZDDP and Moly you'd ever need.

It is kind of strange that people are ripping this product before it is tested. A lot of collectors like me would like to have an oil that does work well with older original unmolested cars.

I would never use Redline or Gibbs oil in my unrestored cars. Actually those are good oils but I do have friends that have ruined engines because those oils broke down... Lets wait on Z-ALT until it is fully checked out before tearing negatively into it.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
It is kind of strange that people are ripping this product before it is tested. A lot of collectors like me would like to have an oil that does work well with older original unmolested cars.

I would never use Redline or Gibbs oil in my unrestored cars. Actually those are good oils but I do have friends that have ruined engines because those oils broke down... Lets wait on Z-ALT until it is fully checked out before tearing negatively into it.

That is BITOG for ya, they like to rip on anything and everything they do not know about. It is amazing the amount of negativity on this site and if it is not a peer pressured product it can not be liked....lol Also anything new scares people on here and no one has any balls to try a new product out.

I have to agree, 8 dollars a for a quart of conv. oil is just too much. I would use it if i could get it for Under 4 per quart.

I love trying new products, I doubt it is a bad oil.

Very Gimmicky, i no like gimmicks.

Looks like P.T. Barum was right.

Your comment about Red Line ruining any engine is of course pure nonsense.

It is true about Red line in my friends engines. When the engine blows twice on an oil you stop using it. They both have been using Red line for years and for whatever reason, got a bad batch of oil.

Ohhhhh, I just noticed you are from Canada. Ha ha, now I understand.

It is true about Red line in my friends engines. When the engine blows twice on an oil you stop using it. They both have been using Red line for years and for whatever reason, got a bad batch of oil.

Ohhhhh, I just noticed you are from Canada. Ha ha, now I understand.

Again, more anecdotal PROOF from the masters. Where is the documentation and unbiased proof?

I didn't knock this oil at all. I was commenting on the anecdotal "evidence" that is thrown around as the gospel truth as if I am to believe that this "proof" is undeniabily true.

Which of course as any REAL BITOG'er knows, objective measurements analyzed with statistical importance is the only way to satisfy a hypothesis. And then, ultimately, "it depends".

Hello PCFxer,
Thank you for your concern, if requested I can show you the lab test and spectroscopy wear analysis testing on my engine.

I was using Shell Rotella because of the Zinc present in the oil then I switched to Redline........not a good choice, the esters in the synthetic oil created plastics in the cylinders......particle count testing scared me to death because of the cost of the pistons alone in this engine.......major fuel in the oil causing reduced viscosity, not good for oil pressure.

Most Amsoil and Royal Purple dealers have an issue when a new oil is entered into the market......I can say I bet 90% of Hemi, Boss and Wedge engine builders dont use Amsoil in their engines.

Check the Moly and Zinc in Redline, you may be suprised what is "not" there........

We tested the Joe Gibbs against the Z-Alt in many applications, although Joe Gibbs is a great guy and a great coach, the oil does not hold up under extreme loads and heat.....as well as others on the market......the Z-Alt 20w50 did a great job under load.

I really do hate the people that slam something new that they have not tested or used........how can you judge something you have not tried? I guess all the years of analytical testing is just wasted time and hear-say is the way to go because you heard something on the internet.

Boss302fan, you are right, the can is cool......and yes there really is some corrosion inhibitors in the oil. We did a lead corrosion test to see the effects on an EMD engine, less than 22ppm was present and passing was 45ppm or less. I can let you know the moly and zinc numbers are impressive, but I have been asked not to express those numbers from the main testing we did at this time.

I have used their 10X additive in a couiple of applications as well, very impressed........I think this is the same chemistry in their oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back