Yz250f-Maxima 20w50 pro plus vs Mobil 1 20w50 vtwin

Gentlemen,

I would like to gather thoughts that you may have on the add packs of these two oils.

mobil 1 vtwin has lower flash and more additives, while maxima has higher flash and less adds.

The M1 vtwin has a fairly stout add pack.
I would like to understand from a tribology standpoint whether the ester fortification In the maxima picks up the slack for the less stout add pack it contains compared to the m1 vtwin.

My application is a Yz250f that has flat tappet over head cams.

Objectively speaking either add package will meet and exceed your mileage expectations... there is no clear benefit of one over the other...
Just follow the oil change interval as prescribed in the owners manual...

where is the emoji for clearing ones throat. uhhhh hummmm

as in

i've been posting oil reports on a 2001 yz250f, 2006 yz250f and 2016 yz250f since i joined in 2004......so lets just call it 17 years.
of posting
here
on bitog (search for...wait for it...wait for it.... ---> yz250f )

i started doing uoa's in 2001...from the 3rd oil change.
to the tune of 94 uoa's done on a yz250f
ive tested maxima extra 15w50 and maxima extra 10w40...both were fantastic
i have never tested mobil 1 vtwin, but i have tested mobil 1 15w50 and mobil delvac 1300 15w40

nothing about a 1940s, slow, pushrod vtwin would inspire me to put that oil in a 14,000rpm race bike. other than if someone gave it to me and to prove its nothing special. i dont give a rats rear about add pack when it shears to water in 50miles. when for over a decade amsoil tech hotline told me to change at 5hrs...yeah who cares about the add pack. its toast. fresh is best.
if you want v8 motoroil, then please pick something better. like shell rotella t 15w40 or supertech 15w40 , both of which i have tested and totally recommend.

the only way i would pick that maxima is if i was doing a very long race (ie 150+ miles with no chance of an oil change) or if i was being sponsored by maxima. the bangforbuck just isnt worth it. great oil...very expensive

I’m sure Mobil 1 vtwin is more than just vtwin oil... and better than Rotella t.
I've run it (20w50 VTwin) in my 11,500 RPM ZRX 1200 (ZX11 ECU and valve springs allow that rev limit vs 10,500 stock) for over 5,000 mi on an OCI and held up as well as any oil I have ever analyzed.

Experience shows it is well suited to that type of engine just as it probably shines with pushrod v twins.

I've run it (20w50 VTwin) in my 11,500 RPM ZRX 1200 (ZX11 ECU and valve springs allow that rev limit vs 10,500 stock) for over 5,000 mi on an OCI and held up as well as any oil I have ever analyzed.

Experience shows it is well suited to that type of engine just as it probably shines with pushrod v twins.

its a good oil...its an expensive oil
your rev limiter is below my max hp rpm
and if your rev limiter is at 10,500...you never to 11,5 because the revlimiter prevents it.

you willing to send me 3 1L bottles so i can prove that?
Me sending you free oil would only prove me generous!

Why do you keep talking about your 14000rpm, it doesn’t give credit to your words. I raced a zx6r at 15000rpm on Castrol GTX for years, what does it prove?

I would not hesitate to use Mobil 1 vtwin in a high revving engine if it requires 20w50.

i picked up a 5 gallons pail of the maxima. Ended up under 7 dollars a quart in bulk. Little more expensive then say rotella, but I’ll probably run it to 7 to 8 hours per change. It’ll make up the price difference. Dirt bike engine oil off the check list for a while.

its a good oil...its an expensive oil
your rev limiter is below my max hp rpm
and if your rev limiter is at 10,500...you never to 11,5 because the revlimiter prevents it.
I just saw this, apologies for not making corrections to this sooner... probably didn't have your cup of coffee in you yet, lol.

The rev limiter is 11,500 RPM like I said in my post using a ZX11D ECU grafted into the wiring harness and ZX11 ignition rotor. Swapping in the ZX11 double valve springs controls the valves at the higher rev limit. Stock ECU rev limit is 10,500. Makes max hp around 10,000 rpm with the ZZR cams. It's a very torquey engine, don't rev it out much but it's there...

M1 20w50 spins up fine in the sump and stays in grade. Even when I get it during Mobil rebate promo's it still works for the price of other oils I know don't do what this oil does. It's a bargain for the miles it goes. (y)

Last edited:
Back