Yukon pinion and carrier bearings....

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, got a 2007 GMC yukon with 130k, been hearing a roaring noise in the rear end this past week, took it to the dealer and they said it was pinion and carrier bearings making the noise, they said it needed to be fixed as soon as possible, gave me an estimate for $1400, seems high to me, what do you guys think ?

IF you are going to pay them that CRAZY price, you might as well change out the ring and pinion at the same time.

I'd bet there are some good rear axle shops in your area which could do ALL I've mentioned above for MUCH less, (GOOD, AAM, U.S. made) parts included.

they said i didnt really need to be driving it, is driving it around town say 10 miles a day gona hurt anything ?

Maybe they are pricing it high to cover themselves because it is a fit and try job. 130k isn't very impressive for bearing life. Did it leak?

There's a shop near me that does nothing but axles. They charge $375 for a bench rebuild, $475 for an in-vehicle rebuild. I'm going to take my Bronco's rear axle there to get re-geared and rebuilt.

Originally Posted By: kenwin30
they said i didnt really need to be driving it, is driving it around town say 10 miles a day gona hurt anything ?
the more you drive it the more metal gets moved around and does more damage.it will ruin the gears eventully. also if it spins a bearing in the housing you will need a whole new housing... probly double what they quoted you before. id start looking for a used axle from a crashed truck

Parts are cheep - under $200 for the four bearings. Carrier bearings are super easy with a good puller. Pinion bearings suck because of the crush sleeve (I assume an '07 still has one?)

Yes, I've done them...in case you were wondering....

Replacing the pinion bearing requires pulling everything apart and setting the gears. The pinion bearing failed on my jeep's front axle and it was cheaper to just buy a whole new axle from the junkyard.

Does that have a 10 bolt or a 14 bolt. Yeah 1400 is super high. Try taking off a thousand. If you have a gov lock locker in there you might as well change that out while you are in their. If you don't have a locker or ls now would be a good time to add a nice limited slip like an eaton truetrac.

Last edited:
Try replacing the carrier bearing first, and see if that's all it takes... especially before tearing into the rear end.

I had a carrier bearing fail on my 2004 Silverado at 70,000 miles, it sounded horrible.

Does a dealership have anybody really good at rebuilding differentials? How many would they see a year...one or two at most? Take it to a specialty shop.

If the pinion and carrier bearings are as bad as they say, then the gears could wear funky. See if the dealer will provide an itemized list. If the $1400.00 includes the ring and pinion, then that's pretty close.

I just did a rear end in a Jeep that had excessive carrier bearing play (oh yeah, Dana 35...). The customer did not have the money to replace the ring and pinion, so all I did was bearings and setting an acceptable pattern was very difficult.

It may not need everything the dealership is trying to sell you. I have a Suburban 1500 that the carrier bearings went out at 160,000 . One carrier bearing inner race spun on the carrier and the backlash was about .060 in very few miles. Howled like a coyote. When I got the carrier out I turned the pinion by hand and the bearings felt fine with no play so I didn't replace them.

I replaced the Carrier, Carrier bearings, oil and I ground new shims at work to set the backlash at .008 ( I'm a Tool & Die Machinist) for a total cost of 180.00 It now has 298,000 and still runs silent.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
Does that have a 10 bolt or a 14 bolt. Yeah 1400 is super high. Try taking off a thousand. If you have a gov lock locker in there you might as well change that out while you are in their. If you don't have a locker or ls now would be a good time to add a nice limited slip like an eaton truetrac.

They would NEVER put a 10 bolt into something that big and heavy (especially NOT a 7.5"/7.65" one)!

It's bad enough they used them in my car and S-10s/Sonomas.
frown.gif

Couldn't tell yah. But now that I think about it, my 72 c10 also had a 10 bolt.

Until we swapped in a 3.73:1 posi Dana 60 full floater.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back