You’ve GOT to Take Mercury Off Your List

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP: Sable

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/you-got-to-take-mercury-off-your-list-sable-rip/

jillwagnernthdegree-226x350.jpg

The Detroit News reports that Ford’s wind-down of its Mercury brand continues apace (i.e., very slowly). Now that the mothership has eliminated its standalone Mercury franchises, they’re using the same process of attrition to grandfather the brand’s models to death. As of Thursday, Ford will no longer build the Mercury Sable.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
ill miss seeing that chic on commercials.

Chicka caliente. Muy bueno.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Who is going to miss the Sable anyways?

Before they made them out of Volvo's, it was one of the 5 best looking cars on the road. Something about the rear end. OMG

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Who is going to miss the Sable anyways?

Before they made them out of Volvo's, it was one of the 5 best looking cars on the road. Something about the rear end. OMG

Is this some sort of joke that I'm not getting?

The current Sable is produced off of a Volvo chassis. I just like the looks of the Sable from the previous model. Not sure of the years it was produced but I'm guessing it was the mid to late 90's.

I think the old sable is a very foul looking car. I think the same generation taurus looked ok though.

The current Mercury Milan looks very nice to me.

I actually think the Mercury versions usually look a little nicer than the Ford version.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee

I actually think the Mercury versions usually look a little nicer than the Ford version.

That's the whole idea. I don't know why cutting a brand like Merc is touted as a "money saving" deal. If they simply consolidated all the standalone dealerships, having a different name-plate on a model is no more costly than just offering a different trim level. Its actually a very cheap way to get a slightly different look that targets a different market.

The way GM handled different brands for so long (different production lines, frequently using different engines for each division even if the size and power were the same) is VERY inefficient. But Ford and Chrysler stopped doing that in the late 50s and went to corporate drivetrains so that the different "brands" never went much deeper than different sheet metal, trim, interiors, and signal light styles.

FWIW, the last Merc that really grabbed my attention was the early 2000s Marauder.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
I think the old sable is a very foul looking car. I think the same generation taurus looked ok though.

The current Mercury Milan looks very nice to me.

truly man.. those 80's sables were ugly as sin, it boggles the mind how they were even selling. Tauruses were a bit ugly IMO too.

Those 80s Sables would be the only ones I would drive. The Taurus/Sable were a really big deal for FoMoCo back in the 80s. They had all those already-Japanese-auto-worshipping-reviewers really excited. I mean, take a look at the other American cars on the market of the same vintage.

Good riddance to a brand that should have been killed a couple of decades ago.

As for this Jill Wagoner chic, I just don't get it. She really isn't that hot at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Good riddance to a brand that should have been killed a couple of decades ago.

As for this Jill Wagoner chic, I just don't get it. She really isn't that hot at all.

The Mercury line is rather weak....but after Ford killed off the wonderful Crown Vic (only sold as a fleet vehicle now) the only car available with a V-8 and rear wheel drive is the exceptional Grand Marquis. Once that car is gone I see no validity for Mercury in my opinion. I'll sure miss the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis though. Best large sedan and most reliable, tough, and comfortable vehicle I've ever driven.
R.I.P.

1993 Mercury Sable

Very smooth lines, wrap around green house, and the last generation of the "Uni-light" between the front headlights. This is one of my favorite american sedans of that era.

gen2sable1.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE
1993 Mercury Sable

Very smooth lines, wrap around green house, and the last generation of the "Uni-light" between the front headlights. This is one of my favorite american sedans of that era.

gen2sable1.jpg

Nice CVPI 2002 Maxima.

My buddy had a 93 Sable at one time..I drove it a few times. It was a great car with no problems what so ever..Everything worked perfectly and the a/c was the best...It looked great also IMHO...He put way over 100K miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back