:::You've Got To Buy A Fleet Of Trucks: Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
Ford Transit.
NO-just NO!! Maybe in the UK, but not here!! Weak transmissions, weak rear axles, many recalls, having to deal with Ford dealer warranty service!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

Id buy Sprinters.

UD
Not in the rust belt-the ones we had rusted incredibly quickly, within 3-4 years, from the inside out. My vote is for the Toyota Tacoma pickup, with an honorable mention to the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon.

You should never have said auto parts dealer to select a full size pickup. Totally re-routed the conversation to a debate. I get your question, say it's a tire delivery or repair facility. I would put out bids and go with the cheapest or even a lease company. I wouldn't keep them forever because I could only write depreciation for 5 years. When you talk bussiness you totally change the dynamics of what you want and what you get.

Last edited:
I agree. Type of business makes a big difference. Definately wouldn't buy a bunch of big pickups to deliver auto parts. What I see mostly at the big chain stores are Chevy Colorado and Chevy Sparks.

As already mentioned, parts delivery does not need a fleet of full size trucks. Id have one compact size truck, say a Tacoma, for truck deliveries and picking up engine cores etc. Then a couple of compact cars and perhaps a few of those funky Transit vans. Honestly, a small car that gets 45 miles per gallon is what you want your guys driving when they are delivering a water pump and a set of brake pads to a shop.

The AZ near me has five new shiny ford hatches in their side lot for deliveries. Probably fiestas. they are small. They then have on or two small trucks.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I agree. Type of business makes a big difference. Definately wouldn't buy a bunch of big pickups to deliver auto parts. What I see mostly at the big chain stores are Chevy Colorado and Chevy Sparks.

Local auto parts places around me seem to run Sparks or Honda Fits.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
My first question would be why do they have to be full size trucks?

Virtually every parts store uses compact trucks for a reason.

After that, Ford or GM. We've used both in work trim versions for many years with few major issues on trucks that get beat on in field use (construction observation and road maintenance).

I am not starting an auto parts business, but I offered that up as a hypothetical because I like to live within my budget, and at some point will likely get a base v6 powered full size truck. I want something that's a literal work truck (A/C and a radio and no more), and I am well familiar with the day/in day out routine that auto parts delivery trucks endure - hence I used that as my litmus test.

So in your opinion you consider Ford and GM equals?

Small-
Ford Transit Connect
MB Metris

Larger-
Ford Transit
MB Sprinter

Ah, I see this had nothing to do with auto parts.

Pick whichever Ford/GM you find the most comfortable.

Last edited:
I’d be buying Chevys. No aluminum for me, very expensive to fix if there’s body damage.

I’d consider the Ram but Chrysler hasn’t been the greatest in my family lately.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If you need v6 work trucks, Ill vouch for Ford F-150 trucks doing severe service. Ive seen them after being retired still being used by subsequent owners in the same severe terrain and use. Anything statesides should be easy...

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
If Chevy is still putting the 4.3 in their Silverado I would go with that. Solid work truck and would suit your purpose. That or a transit connect as mentioned.

The 4.3 is a torquey engine. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
You should never have said auto parts dealer to select a full size pickup. Totally re-routed the conversation to a debate. I get your question, say it's a tire delivery or repair facility. I would put out bids and go with the cheapest or even a lease company. I wouldn't keep them forever because I could only write depreciation for 5 years. When you talk bussiness you totally change the dynamics of what you want and what you get.

(I am being sincere and not snarky in my reply): Compared to other posters, I am kinda new to this forum, and will keep this in mind in the future.

Nowadays, it seems an odd thing to want a basic worktruck for a personal vehicle. My Ranger has almost 200k, it won't last forever, and a full size truck is more of what I want. But I also want low maintenance and good mileage - much like the desires of what a fleet buyer might want. And I want day in, day out, reliability and durability, with a truck that I can keep for 20 years.

It blows my mind that people will spend 60k on a truck. There's nothing wrong with that, but it isn't for me. My Ranger has vinyl seats and a vinyl floor, and I love it. But the cab and bed are a little too small; a full size might be more appropriate.

So...I guess people prefer Ford overall? I am a little leery of GM; they went through a cost cutting phase, and I don't know how that's affected their trucks.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: 6starprez

Local auto parts places around me seem to run Sparks or Honda Fits.

O'Reilly was all Rangers, then Frontiers and now the NV200/Chevy City Express is replacing them. I haven't seen what AZ uses. Local parts house still have their old Toyota trucks but they're been rotating in Corollas.

Worldpac is using the Prius.

As to your basic work truck with a 6 cyl, I wouldn't. The small V8 gets about the same mileage and is much more driveable and much more powerful. (Comparing GM)

For Ford, the turbo V6 is a good engine. If they sell a non-turbo version of the engine, I would prefer the V8 or the turbo for sure.

To be honest, and I give this advice to anyone looking at a full size truck, go out and drive them. The big three all make good trucks, as does Toyota. They all have there quirks and issues.

For our fleet, Ford and GMC trucks have been the preference for a very long time. Local dealer support was good and in service performance has been good with not much difference in costs in service. It basically came down to which brand had the truck with the mandatory equipment at a lower price. Not much else.

The advice to go with an upgraded turbo or small V8 option is good. Typically these are low cost options, deliver similar fuel economy, and make the vehicle more pleasant to drive in general. I'm not dogging the base engine options, but for a little cost, the upgrades are nice.

I also would not be afraid of aluminum. Because of higher labor on repairs, often times instead or repair, it becomes replace with aluminum. Different, but as there gets to be more and more of it out there, it is less of an issue.

I would stick to a full size truck of any make simply for safety. As a tech I use small hand tools and meters. Most would fit in the front seat next to me and I never carry anything heavy. My next truck will be a '18 Ram 3500 Laramie dually loaded with all kinds of stuff I don't need. Some days your truck is your office, be comfy!

For delivering engines/transmissions having a truck with a liftgate is worth its weight in gold. We had a F150 with one until one of our old GMs sold it out from under us. It was really nice to have. Plus you could toss the pallet jack back there also.

We have a full size Transit and a Mazda B-series currently. We had a Transit Connect that we literally ran into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back