You've GOT to be $%#@&% kidding me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I walk outside to do some things on the car I start the engine, let it warm up, shut it off and check the oil.

21ch7pj.jpg

tumblr_lff1n5F6hj1qdlkgg.gif

Below the low mark. I was flippin a poo.

I have no idea where the stuff is going. No smoke, new PCV valve, no leaks, this is the first time I seen this happen on this car. The current oil that's in the car is M1 15w50. Here is the chart of recommended oils to use for this engine. This just happened all of a sudden.

2my5imr.jpg

Should I switch back to Castrol Edge with syntec technology 10w30? This car has a dirty engine which is why I chose M1 to clean it out but I'm worried that it's too thick, The temps here reach close to 100 degrees and I have to rev the out of the engine to get all 83HP out of it. Not to mention I do this to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqtlBOJFZVk

However I do have fault that I don't check the oil that often, but when I do its always at the full mark. Even with The M1 with currently 5183 miles on it. With the engine having a total of 43493 miles on it. My grandfather used cheap oil on it before he passed away and now I started using synthetics.

The engine runs like a top and the only noise it makes is on cold startup. Here is a vid showing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veYQqU7WlDU

is going on? Please Help.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, CALM DOWN! Now, just relax and see if it continues before getting upset again. "Maybe" it wasn't quite filled up before? Maybe the oil did not have time to resettle before you checked it? You are going to be OK...
cool.gif

Why would you start it up and let it run before checking it? No matter how long you let it sit there and idle, I doubt if the oil got up to 40C and with 15w50 quite a bit was still hanging around in the top end after you shut it off. The best way to get an accurate read is park it on a level place and then check the next morning BEFORE you start it up.

Do when cold. I like to do after sitting overnight. That way I don't even need a rag to wipe the dipstick clean -- just pull it out and read. The oil will settle down properly.

I did and it was alittle less than the middle mark, when it was stone cold. I then turned it on and that's the reading you got in the pic.

I agree with the others, it might not be so bad because it sounds like you didn't let it sit very long before checking it.

Originally Posted By: supton
Do when cold. I like to do after sitting overnight. That way I don't even need a rag to wipe the dipstick clean -- just pull it out and read. The oil will settle down properly.

That is exactly the way I do it, and I honestly feel its the only way to get a good accurate reading.

Also that animated gif made me LOL.

I know its weird but the manual of the car tells me to place it on a flat surface, which I have, START THE ENGINE AND LET IT WARM UP. Then check the oil. I also checked it when the car was stone cold.

Originally Posted By: N7Quarian
I did and it was alittle less than the middle mark, when it was stone cold. I then turned it on and that's the reading you got in the pic.

Sounds look you're clear, then! No need to worry, you are keeping an eye on it. As long as its above the add mark, good to go. Plus, a little below the add mark is around 1 quart per 5000 miles. First, this consumption may slow with a few more oil changes. Second, its well within tolerable range. Consider yourself lucky!

Some people recommend not constantly topping off from the middle mark as well, since some engines stop oil consumption before getting down to the "ADD" mark.

Last edited:
One question though. Yes its in the 'safe' zone when the oil has settled BUT when you start the engine and alot of the oil goes to the top of the engine and the pan gets less oil. (less than the fill dot in my case.) will there be enough oil for the oil pickup to pick up?

Originally Posted By: The_Intimidator
Correct me if I am wrong, but youre suppose to check your oil when the car is cold.

Not always. Audi's procedure is to run the car, let it come up to temperature, then turn it off, wait 3 minutes, and check.

Originally Posted By: The_Intimidator
Correct me if I am wrong, but youre suppose to check your oil when the car is cold.

It depends. I have seen recommendations to run the car until you get to operating temp, shut down and wait 5 or 10 minutes. I have seen a couple setups with a dry sump that want you to check while running.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Originally Posted By: volk06
I've never seen a 15w-45 like the manual lists.

That's a metric grade.

Can you go into more detail about how that difference from the SAE grade? Very interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back