You're Not Allowed To Work On Your Own Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat - at a condo we own (not primary residence) - It has one covered parking space and one open air space -
HOA does not allow anyone to work on a vehicle there - no BBQ pits - don't do this or that …
They even told us we need to add more plants to the flower beds …

I'm guessing a neighbour had to file a complaint first for the zoning person to come out and issue a fine. That rule stinks but don't p.o. your neighbours in the first place, i.e. no impact wrenching at 7am.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Just California being California. Nothing to see here.

Yes, you're correct. But, aren't they being a bit extreme? IMHO, I think it's the ones that can afford to bring their vehicles to auto shops, even if it's just to remove a lug nut. They see others working on their vehicles as a degradation to their neighborhood. They're uppity, pompous, self centered people, that have nothing better to do than to complain and make trouble!
mad.gif

Makes sense in that residents don't want a neighbor operating an automotive repair business on their residential street.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Somewhat - at a condo we own (not primary residence) - It has one covered parking space and one open air space -
HOA does not allow anyone to work on a vehicle there - no BBQ pits - don't do this or that …
They even told us we need to add more plants to the flower beds …

Yeah, we got a fine for feeding birds in the 3-foot by 12-foot ? section of our front yard. Technically a warning that could turn into a fine. Lovly HOA compliance vehicle did that one. But. Guess what, I work on my car in the garage anyway.... Nosy neighbors are quite over the top and the police stopped by once. Apparently, having your car with its hood up is a suspicious vehicle! *expletives* the HOA, and they, are quite something.

However, not one thing is said that every American flag displayed on the outside of the home does not have a light on the bottom of the pole. There are dozens around here, maybe the HOA is being selective. Or has no clue. Or is just being HOA. I have not seen one lighted flagpole.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Makes sense in that residents don't want a neighbor operating an automotive repair business on their residential street.

I agree.
But, changing the oil, on your own vehicle? What's so wrong with that? Or, rotating your tires, changing an air filter? These are all simple tasks.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

I agree.
But, changing the oil, on your own vehicle? What's so wrong with that? Or, rotating your tires, changing an air filter? These are all simple tasks.

Those things are fine. Did you read the article?

Like most things it comes back to interpretation. Note that residential repair is allowed so long as the list of things noted in the article are adhered to.

IMO it's intent was to avoid ad hoc repair services in residential locations. It talks about others' vehicles, about long term repair,Mandela about special equipment (Which Is assume implies lifts and other such kit). The issue is that the law is poorly written (perhaps intentionally).

I agree.

Apparently you're not reading the same article you linked to. It states:

code states that conducting "minor vehicle repair" or "minor automotive repair" is legal at a residence, and defines "minor automotive repair" as:

Brake part replacement

Minor tune-ups

Change of oil and filter

Repair of flat tires

Lubrication

Other similar operations

(See section 5.2.0.B of the Zoning Code)

With caveats:

2. Is Minor Vehicle Repair Permitted at Residences?

Yes. However, it is unlawful for any person to engage in, or permit others to engage in, minor vehicle repair or maintenance in any agricultural, agricultural-residential, residential, interim estate and interim residential zones under any of the following circumstances:

1. Using tools not normally found in a residence;

2. Conducted on vehicles registered to persons, not currently residing on the lot or parcel;

3. Conducted outside a fully enclosed garage and resulting in any vehicle being inoperable for a period in excess of twenty-four hours.

#1 is ambiguous but to a reasonable layperson it would imply no lifts, pits, or specialized machines. #3 would imply no "project" cars left outside (indoors is ok) not operational for a long time.

Of course private property is private property, and so people should be free to make it an eyesore. That said, if this was voted on as a ballot item in that county, then it's reasonable to implement.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Of course private property is private property, and so people should be free to make it an eyesore. That said, if this was voted on as a ballot item in that county, then it's reasonable to implement.

Totally correct, what I cannot figure out is that I see police stopping vehicles and issuing citations to people on private property residences such as the places described by 4WD. Seems private property does not matter, in some senses..

I did read the article. But, what I'm getting at is, when will these simple tasks turn into something bigger? What if the neighbors start an uprising about these simple tasks? I mean, if they can cause such a stink about JUST working on your vehicle, don't you think that eventually that changing an air filter will make them think it's too extreme? Where will the line be drawn? What is too much for them to change the rules?
I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
21.gif

I did read the article. But, what I'm getting at is, when will these simple tasks turn into something bigger? What if the neighbors start an uprising about these simple tasks? I mean, if they can cause such a stink about JUST working on your vehicle, don't you think that eventually that changing an air filter will make them think it's too extreme? Where will the line be drawn? What is too much for them to change the rules?
21.gif

Everything isn't a slippery slope. If you're being respectful and cleaning up, I'm sure things will be fine. If you have multiple junk cars and parts in varying states of disrepair, you're going to run into issues.

21.gif

My first thought would be that something you can do in a half hour or less should be okay, the main thing is if you are seen for people to complain..

Ramps out? You are drawing more attention to yourself...

Brake job? Second car/work truck with a tarp as a canopy, getting ready for said brake job or larger repair, maybe a radiator change? Say hello to the police.. (on a public street, maybe. Not sure on that one. In a parking lot, iffy.)

Same way some Autozones have mechanics outside that will do whatever you want, usually mangle your car in the process. Breaking clips and everything. While probably even more Autozones will allow no such thing. The Autozones with mechanics, you would think they work for Autozone, they work on the cars right there. Iffy, because it's still against the rules (Autozone states no mechanical repairs are to be done in the parking lot) but if those people have an arrangement with the Manager then... How this applies to the residential example, is as to attention drawn.

Change the oil, get seen, someone may call to see how you're catching that oil. It is all relative. If it is their business or not. Some people like to call about these things. The debate is if they are wrong for doing so, not as to why they may. (Authorities to report you working on own car, or even thinking you are.)

This is one of those things where a few rotten apples spoil the bunch. I've worked on many a vehicle in my garage, and occasionally brief things in my driveway, and don't mind my neighbors doing that, but not making a lot of noise too late at night or early in the morning, and of course not running a for-profit home business if they get enough traffic from it for me to notice.

At the same time, I don't want neighbors edging their walkways, mowing, etc at odd hours unless the weather has been bad and forces someone to once in a rare while. I realize some people have to fit such things into their work schedule, and wouldn't want someone to have a hardship not fixing their vehicle asap if necessary, again once in a rare while.

I once had a neighbor that was constantly working on classic cars and motorcycles but he was respectful of when he made noise and he built an addition onto his garage so you'd never know it unless his garage door was open.

California... yeah, in a way it's a good thing to let all the voluntarily oppressed nuts have their own place to be around others like them, but it slightly annoys me when ICE products cost more in order to be CA compliant.

Last edited:
If you don't want these restrictions, don't buy a residence with restrictive covenants. Pretty straightforward. Complaining about rules after agreeing to them sounds.........

1. This is why I will never be in a HOA residence.
2. If I had to live in a HOA home it would have a enclosed attached garage.
3. I would have AC in my garage and do whatever the heck I wanted to in my garage door closed garage.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back