You’re expert advise on Hyundai GDI: NEW with High mileage, 75% city, high idle time

Y’all seem to know your stuff over here. I’ve been going down the oil rabbbit hole for a couple months but for the first time ever, I’ve succumb to information overload and realizing there are many many factors to consider what oil will serve me best, yet only a handful of options to pick from so no need to o er think. Im now reduced to the point where I can’t think anymore and accept I’d be better off hearing y’all’s opinion.

What would you run for oil?
What would you use for additives?
How often oil flush? Or would you do at all?

2021 Kia k5 GT-line
1.6 turbo GDI Gamma (II or iii)
50-60,000 miles per year
75% or so city driving. I’m probably exaggerating there but it’s heavy for sure.
And lots of idle between drives. I’ll turn car off weather permitting.

Thank you. I already feel less weight on my shoulder. Very much appreciate the wisdom in the forum.

5w30 ,5w40, 0w40.
Personally with hyundai /kia engine issue;s i wouldn't push past 5000k.
In my wife's Accent which is mainly short tripped i change at 3000k with pennzoil plat 5w30 it comes out black and sticks of fuel.
No additives or flush needed in your case.

Any 5w-30 syn at 10k OCI and a good Fram Ultra or alike for 20k. Keep an eye on the oil level.
Doing 10k oci's with a regular 5w-30 syn that involves more stop and go driving with more idling is not a good thing. I do 9-11k oci's but that's because i do a lot more highway than city and my old truck engines don't beat oil up like these modern turbo gdi engines do.

Use any modern mid saps euro oil and you'll never have an issue. With these engines frequent changes are key. I wouldn't go beyond 7k with a good 30 or 40 grade euro. Quaker state euro for its price would be my pick as you can change more frequently with the savings and it's still a good properly rated oil. I'd also use a fram ultra. That you can leave for 20k and reuse it at least once as i do.

Y’all seem to know your stuff over here. I’ve been going down the oil rabbbit hole for a couple months but for the first time ever, I’ve succumb to information overload and realizing there are many many factors to consider what oil will serve me best, yet only a handful of options to pick from so no need to o er think. Im now reduced to the point where I can’t think anymore and accept I’d be better off hearing y’all’s opinion.

2021 Kia k5 GT-line
50-60,000 miles per year
75% or so city driving. I’m probably exaggerating there but it’s heavy for sure.

Thank you. I already feel less weight on my shoulder. Very much appreciate the wisdom in the forum.
No more than 5,000 miles. Better off with Mobil 1 ESP 0w30.

2021 Kia k5 GT-line
50-60,000 miles per year

You said 50-60,000 miles a year, I think you meant to say 5000 to 6000 miles a year?

2021 Kia k5 GT-line
50-60,000 miles per year

Sell it while it’s under warranty. Sorry. You asked 🤷‍♂️

If you’re really set on keeping it past warranty, run HPL so you’ve got the maximum safety margin possible. Best of luck 👍🏻

Read the manual. Then pick a full synthetic which meets the required specification in the recommended viscosity. Both should be called out. If there are too many brands to choose from and it’s still overwhelming. Then pick the cheapest name brand you find that day and stick with that one forever for the sake of simplicity if nothing else. And do the serve service schedule called out in the manual. Do all this and you have picked the correct oil at the best price and are using the most conservative maintenance schedule. Everything else is pretty much out of your hands. No additives. No flushes.

Most importantly why are you getting so worked up over this? Sincerely you shouldn’t be. It’ll be ok.

Not oil related - but probably a good idea to wait the 2minutes until the cold start idle drops to 1000rpm before driving.

Read the manual. Then pick a full synthetic which meets the required specification in the recommended viscosity. Both should be called out. If there are too many brands to choose from and it’s still overwhelming. Then pick the cheapest name brand you find that day and stick with that one forever for the sake of simplicity if nothing else. And do the serve service schedule called out in the manual. Do all this and you have picked the correct oil at the best price and are using the most conservative maintenance schedule. Everything else is pretty much out of your hands. No additives. No flushes.

Most importantly why are you getting so worked up over this? Sincerely you shouldn’t be. It’ll be ok.
Problem with USA owners manual, recommended weight is for fuel economy.

5w30 ,5w40, 0w40.
Personally with hyundai /kia engine issue;s i wouldn't push past 5000k.
In my wife's Accent which is mainly short tripped i change at 3000k with pennzoil plat 5w30 it comes out black and sticks of fuel.
No additives or flush needed in your case.
I hate to be that guy... But...
"5000k" = 5,000,000
"3000k" = 3,000,000
Unless by "k" you meant "km"....
Anyways, now that I got that off my chest 😂, I fully agree with grade recommendations 😇

Back