Your top 5 favorite oil formulations this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this is a bit pretentious, but I always like these end of year threads that end up with top lists on different forums for fun... like top 5 favorites games this year, or movies etc. Since oil obviously doesn't come out often enough, I'll just throw them all together, along with formulas and even viscosities can make a difference so I'll throw it in too. I'll start. My top 5 favorite oil formulations this year...

01.) Redline 5w40 (I like this version as it's the perfect weight and doesn't have the tons of Moly, which I'm not a fan of an oil having over 250ppm for reasons I won't get into here. It's a Group V ester based oil with a mix of Group IV to boot. One of the best priced boutique oils there is and you'd be hard pressed to find a better oil than this anywhere imo. I'm particularly impressed in this oils ability in direct injected high perfomance turbocharged cars and it's ability to help prevent intake valve deposits. I love it's super low NOACK rating too.)

02.) Rotella T6 5w40 (Inexpensive and stout as you know what. UOA's for this are almost always excellent, even on known oil shredding direct injected turbo's. Bang for your buck, really tough to beat this oil. If this was a jacket, it's a Carhardt)

03.) Mobil 1 0w40 European Formula (One of the all around greatest oils out there. With a spec sheet a mile long and a pedegree to back it up. Used as factory fill for so many european sports cars it's staggering. This oil, straight off the shelf, is used in many race cars during races such as 24 hour LeMans. This oil has an almost legendary status.)

04.) Castrol Syntec 0w30 European Formula (aka: German Castrol. This oil even has it's own dedicated thread here at bitog, which says something. Used to be green in color but now gold. One of the thickest 30 weight oils there is, almost 40. Thought to be mostly Group IV basestocks this oil does extremely well in so many high performance cars it's sort of a "go-to" oil for many. Often on sale at AutoZone and Pep Boys for great prices, as it is now currently.)

05.) Castrol Edge 10w30 (I like the additive package more than the 5w30 as it's a bit more stout. For me, this oil is the smoothest and in particular, very quiet. This is what made me like it so much, as it quiets down my wifes loud engine SUV to the point that when I took it out, my wife asked what I did to her truck. Doesn't have a lot of fanfare here, but it seems like those who have tried it have made the same comments as I have here.)

Honorable Mentions:
Royal Purple 0w40 (A newer formulation from the purple people. It has an SM rating. Those who have looked at specs say it matches up extremely closely to M1 0w40, which is a good thing. According to RP, this is a Group IV based oil with Group V "Synerlec" and some Group II for solvency I believe.)

AMSOIL 5w40 Premium Protection. (I haven't had the chance to run this myself yet, but seen some very impressive UOA's of it on some very brutal on oil cars. I plan on giving it a go sometime soon).

I've always liked Havoline/Chevron oils - I love the high-moly add-pack, and that they blend it very thin within grade.

Petro-Canada oils - amazing cold-weather performance, I've experienced it firsthand.

Everything Amsoil - I've never run it, but I like the add-pack they use in them, and they always seem to show well above average UOA's.

1) Any name brand oil that I can get for $1.00/qt after rebate.

2) The cheapest name brand oil that I can get without a rebate.

3) Generic cheapo oil (Walmart, etc..)

4) Overpriced boutique oils

5) Vegetable cooking oil

#1 EDGE 0W20 (Excellent) New

#2 PU 5w20/30 New

#3 M1 0w30 AFE

#4 Rotella T6 5w40 (I agree with you on that...lol)

#5 Amsoil XL 10,000. (First SN out and runs good in my Altima)New

I Think at least 3 of these formulations were new this year.

i know this isnt exactly what youre asking here, but im going to shoot from the hip...Ive been a mobil guy for quite some time, i love m1 and the dino is great too, ive never been a castrol man, and w the spill didnt help my view of bp, but I bought a "deal" w 5quarts of edge and a Bosch D+ filter, i fell in love! Im saying for me this has been the best combo in my 08 ford 2.3. and as a way to offset costs this yr, i decided to run 4 quarts m1 and 2 quarts mobil clean 5w20 in my 03 4.6, seems to work well. and im a BIG sm engine man, and nothing but valvoline sae30 goes in them.

#1 Edge, #2 M1, #3 My mobil "blend", #4 Mobil Clean 5k,#5 Valvoline WB

Last edited:
Pretty much a rephrased "which oil is best" thread.

I don't necessarily disagree with your list, but perhaps the last two could easily be replaced with other choices. In fact GC is not even near the boy wonder it used to be.....just saying.

No mention of SSO 0W-30? No Shaeffer?

I'm unclear on which Amsoil 5W-40 you mention?

1. Pennzoil Platinum
2. Pennzoil Ultra (would be my first choice if I could get it)
3. Mobil 1 0W-20AFE
4. Pennzoil YB
5. Petro-Canada if I could get it

All in something W-20

I'll keep my list short.

1. Edge 0W20
2. Edge 5w30, hoping Santa will wake them up at Castrol and come out with Edge 0W30.

Here are the 5 oils I currently use, have my family using, or would use...

RP
Kendall GT1
Penzoil Ultra
Pennzoil Platinum
Castrol GTX

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo

I don't necessarily disagree with your list, but perhaps the last two could easily be replaced with other choices. In fact GC is not even near the boy wonder it used to be.....just saying.

I was just going by stuff I've ran this year myself or oil's that piqued my interest. It wasn't meant as a reworded what is the best oil... just more for fun. These kind of fun lists end up on forums at the end of a year a lot and are just fun to do and read. It is DEFINITELY not meant to be some kind of definitive list of best oils! You can have a favorite oil based on any number of factors, cost, rebates, durability, cleaning, because of distant memories with your father, lol, whatever.
smile.gif

I meant AMSOIL 10w40 Premium Protection btw. I think it's AMO (?)

1. Pennzoil Ultra (5w30,5w20)/Pennzoil Ultra Euro
2. Tie between Castrol Edge 5w30 and Pennzoil Platinum
3. M1 HM 10w30
4. Regular M1 5w30
5. M1 Extended performance 5w30

1. Whatever synthetic is FAR!
2. Whatever synthetic is under .99/qt. after rebate!
3. Whatever HDEO is FAR!
4. Whatever HDEO is under .99/qt. after rebate!
5. M1 for $4 on Black Friday!
Detecting a pattern here...

1. PP, since I have plenty in my stash acquired cheaply.
2. Edge, since I have a nice sub-stash acquired cheaply.
3. Delvac 1300, acquired cheaply.
4. M1 0W-30, acquired cheaply.
5. GC, which every engine I've ever used it in likes (there, I said it), and which is priced as reasonably as any other Syntec when offered as part of an oil change special.

If I could buy but one oil for everything, GC would probably be my choice, except that a killer M1 MIR might sway me toward M1 0W-40. Either could be used to good effect in anything I own.
Too bad that neither is offered in money saving jugs.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Originally Posted By: Pablo

I was just going by stuff I've ran this year myself or oil's that piqued my interest. It wasn't meant as a reworded what is the best oil... just more for fun. These kind of fun lists end up on forums at the end of a year a lot and are just fun to do and read. It is DEFINITELY not meant to be some kind of definitive list of best oils! You can have a favorite oil based on any number of factors, cost, rebates, durability, cleaning, because of distant memories with your father, lol, whatever.
smile.gif

I meant AMSOIL 10w40 Premium Protection btw. I think it's AMO (?)

Thanks for clarifying! Yes AMO is the 10W-40. Amsoil's first. I really also like DEO 5W-40, but I think my all time favorite is HDD 5W-30.

In no particular order:

- Liqui-Moly Synthoil Energy 0W-40
- Liqui-Moly Synthoil High Tech 5W-40
- Q8 Formula Excel 5W-40
- Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30
- Pennzoil LongLife Gold 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back