Your thoughts on Toyota Sequoia's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about getting into an SUV. If I get one, it will have to be a low milage late model used one.

What do yall know of Toyo Sequoia's? I did a little research last year and came up with bad gas milage and front rotors may be inadequate for the heavy truck (many warped under warranty).

I could probably fix the brake issue with replacing the front rotors with OEM size ones from Brembo and slap some ceramic pads on.

what do yall know about reliability, ease of DIY servicing, fit and finish, re-sale value, engine and trans performance, cost of parts, interior comfort, etc etc.

Thanks.

Go ask Ekpolk.
grin.gif

Whenever anyone complains that the brakes in a minivan or SUV are inadequate, you have to take into account the type of driving that these vehicles often encounter..and the fact that some drivers are either on the gas or the brakes doesn't help.

1. I'd re-evaluate my need for a SUV.

2. What Brian said. 90% of the SUV drivers have two modes: Full blast gas or stomping on the brake. With that said-

I'd be very careful of the brakes anyway. And I wouldn't just assume I could cure the problem with "OEM Size Brembo rotors"... cause 90% of the problems associated with the Sequoia and Nissan's Armada (et al) problems reside with the idiots that engineered the things. They try to take the brake system off of a smaller vehicle and put thicker pads on it, thinking that will aid in stopping it.

Google " Nissan+Armada+brake+problems "

Me? I'd see if I could get by with a Honda CR-V. Those things seem to be a jacked-up Accord.

If not, I'd go with the Pilot. It's got a few years of legacy and the reliability is looking great.

I'd vote against the Seq. I had a Tundra which was fine but wouldn't want a passenger vehicle on that frame. They're big, heavy, thirsty and clumsy. And a bit underpowered as well. Drive it for awhile and you might agree.

If you do buy one make sure all the maint. was done, get and keep proof to keep your warranty in effect. I remember something about the rear diff lube needing changing at 15k miles on the Seq, but not the Tundra. Tells me they got a problem back there.

I second the new Rav-4 recommendation. It's dimensions have grown a bit from last year, and the strong V6 (269hp) is rated a miserly 22/29mpg with 2WD. And priced in the low $20k range, it can't be much more than a used Sequoia?

Sequoia is excellent.
For the brakes, use better brake pads and new rotors at each brake job.
MPG isn't too bad and is dependent on the right foot and vehicle state of tune. Toyotas are definitely more efficient then competitors in the same class.

I do not own the Seq but I had the 4Runner with the same engine. Great engine and of course it was rock solid. Two of my buds have the Seq and neither of them have had ANY problems with them. Yes, they are big but I thought that was the idea.

I say you cannot go wrong with a late model Seq but if you want a deal take a look at an 03 or 04 4Runner with the V8. Good truck.

Sequoia is a nice truck! I like the limited model with rear spoiler. The 4-Runners are very nice also.

Islandvic,

You got alot to learn, bud.

I realize "everybody in South Texas drives a big truck". But this $3 a gallon deal ain't over with.

Go ahead and produce your image. I ain't impressed.

Might take a peek at that book "Millionaire next door".

Islandvic,

Why not just pony up for a used Land Cruiser? I've always wanted one, & if you buy one, I could just live vicariously through you.
grin.gif

thooks,

My office is in a office building that is full of Realtors. What Islandvic says about producing an image is more important than you realize. Sad but true.

I live in Texas where bigger is better. I am used to thirsty vehilcles. All of my cars/trucks are V-8's.

Plus, I think a male Realtor in South Texas (where everyone here drives F-250's, Suburbans, Ram 1500's, PowerStrokes, DuraMax's, Cummings diesels and Expiditions etc etc) driving a CR-V or RAV-4 would be considered kinda "girly".

I need room for clients, and need to keep up the image that I make money and that I can afford a "big SUV". It's the mentality here. If I lived in Austin, I could drive a freaking Prius and everyone would give me a thumbs-up. Here, a Prius would get you the middle finger.

Remember, I live where a very large % of U.S. production of gasoline is refined and shipped to supply America.

I understand the Sequoia would get 15mpg and a CR-V would get 30, but a $5000 commission check is twice as much as a $2500 check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back