Your thoughts on new Camry or 2013 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bourne
Should I address the elephant in the room and recommend the new Altima ??? It looks really good on paper, including handling and fe #s...

I did an install on an 2013 Altima S (4cyl)today.

21.gif
...meh.

It was a base model with the plastic wheel covers. Maybe I'll like a higher trim model better.

On most Honda transmissions, be prepared to drain and refill the transmission fluid at least every 3 oil changes if you want it to behave properly.
lol.gif
[/quote]

I heard that there may be belts involved?

buddy of mine just traded his '05 Maxi on a new '11 XLE

he had replaced three A/C compressors and limped it in for a trade with the trans failing quickly..less than 125k mi. and got only $5,000 for it.

He really likes his new car.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Should I address the elephant in the room and recommend the new Altima ??? It looks really good on paper, including handling and fe #s...

I did an install on an 2013 Altima S (4cyl)today.

21.gif
...meh.

It was a base model with the plastic wheel covers. Maybe I'll like a higher trim model better.

Yea the 2.5 SV is the one to go for. 17" alloys, upgraded interior trim, Nissan entertainment/communication system with rearview camera, auto climate control. for a couple of grand more you get the convenience package with navi , 7" screen, widely believed to be the best factory navi in the market.

I recently test drove both an optima ex and camry 4 cyl se with navi. MEH .......

Having said that , Optima comes with ridiculous amounts of equipment. Camry SE does have a better caliberated steering than Optima, Although altima is still considered the best since it is an electro-hydraulic unit vs regular electric p/s in the others. In terms of smoothness, the Toyota 4 cyl blows pretty much every other 4 cyl we have tested so far. And its auto tries to mimic a half baked attempt to rev-match on downshifts.

Should I address the elephant in the room and recommend the new Altima ??? It looks really good on paper, including handling and fe #s. What more , its still a port injected engine , so no worries about deposits like in a DI engine, also cheaper to repair in the long run. You can get decently equipped 2.5 SV model between 22.5~24 k depending on what kind of deal you work out.

Yes I know it has a CVT, but its a second gen CVT and in Sport mode does a simulation of a 6 speed transmission. 38 mpg highway. Regular Unleaded. 0w20 Full Syn OEM spec.

I hadn't even thought about the Altima for some reason--but I might take a look at one. I've just owned a bunch of Toyotas and Hondas over the years. I guess I should be open to expanding my horizons. I've never owned a Korean car. I do like the MPG of the Altima 4cyl. I did see in USA today an article on the upcoming Fusion with a photo, and it looked really sharp, but may not be out soon enough. In the past, I found that Hondas and Toyotas tended to have a bit better resale than others. Don't know if that's still true, but it used to be for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JDD

I hadn't even thought about the Altima for some reason--but I might take a look at one. I've just owned a bunch of Toyotas and Hondas over the years. I guess I should be open to expanding my horizons. I've never owned a Korean car. I do like the MPG of the Altima 4cyl. I did see in USA today an article on the upcoming Fusion with a photo, and it looked really sharp, but may not be out soon enough. In the past, I found that Hondas and Toyotas tended to have a bit better resale than others. Don't know if that's still true, but it used to be for sure.

If you have been a Honda or Toyota owner, you will not enjoy working on Nissan. It is far less logical and more complex than either Honda or Toyota. Think German, but a few steps lower. If you are willing to make some sacrifices in the handling or performance depts, Honda or Toyota will likely age better and be easier to handle in the long-run.

Should I address the elephant in the room and recommend the new Altima ??? It looks really good on paper, including handling and fe #s. What more , its still a port injected engine , so no worries about deposits like in a DI engine, also cheaper to repair in the long run. You can get decently equipped 2.5 SV model between 22.5~24 k depending on what kind of deal you work out.

Yes I know it has a CVT, but its a second gen CVT and in Sport mode does a simulation of a 6 speed transmission. 38 mpg highway. Regular Unleaded. 0w20 Full Syn OEM spec.

I think they do.

Ford hasnt exactly inspired confidence in me as a buyer, especially with their numerous recalls on almost all the new vehicles they introduce. Its like they are rushing models into the market, make the first time adopters as guinea pigs.

I agree Nissans are a bit different than Toyota or Honda, not terribly so. Although, if that CVT goes bad, chances are only the dealer will be able to even think about replacing it. If you dont care about have the latest and greatest, 2012 Accord 4cyl SE are being sold on Autotrader for under $20k. Thats 177 Hp, 4cyl, 5speed auto, 160 watts 6 speaker stereo with all connections, leather seats, heated seats and 16in Alloys. Not a bad deal IMHO.
EPA Estimate 34 mpg HWY.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I know it's a little thing, but I HATE the Accord's automatic gear selector.

That is the cheesiest, plastic, most imprecise selector ever.

I've played video games that had a higer quality shift selector than the Accord's

The manual feels pretty good considering it's a cable shifted front wheel drive, but that auto selector is horrible.

And why just the Accord and Camry? Why not consider the Optima, Kizashi, Legacy, Mazda6, Passat, Malibu, or Fusion?
Or if it's price, why not a Mitsubishi Galant? It's a little dated in the powertrain dept but the Galant is a pretty nice car for a little less on average.

I've had bad experiences with VWs and don't see one in my future, but I really like their automated manual. The Galant does not interest me just because I dont' like the look. I like Subys, but I like MPG more. I drove a Mazda 6 before I bought my 3 a couple years ago and it just wasn't that great of a car IMO and the MPGs are significantly less than the others----Drove a Malibu in 2010 before I bought my 3 and it was OK IMO, but the 6 speed automatic was just coming out and I only drove the old 4 spd auto and it really was not a good fit for the 4 cyl at the time.

Drove a Malibu in 2010 before I bought my 3 and it was OK IMO, but the 6 speed automatic was just coming out and I only drove the old 4 spd auto and it really was not a good fit for the 4 cyl at the time.

I can say that the 6-speed in the Malibu doesn't impress me at all. We finally got rid of our last Ford Taurus at work (a 2005 model) and they replaced it with a 2012 Malibu. It has the Ecotec 4 with a 6-speed automatic. I like the engine a lot, but the transmission is abysmal. The shifts are very slow and poorly executed. The driving experience feels very disconnected. The rest of the car is just okay to me. It has a smooth ride but wallows in corners and doesn't inspire confidence at all. Even with the 4-banger, that car is "over-engined". It goes way faster than it can handle. I'm not real big on the Fusion for a few reasons, but it's a ton better car than the Malibu. Maybe GM has made some dynamic improvements for the 2013 'Bu, I don't know.

Since I just went through similar exercise (but ended up with different results!), here are the points I would like to make.

1) Honda is seriously discounting 2012 models e.g. 25K for 32.2K list EX-L V6 NAVI model; One can assume similar deals across all the Accord models.
2) By all measures, 2013 Accord would be a slightly better car but the difference is not huge. Even for a Honda, 1st year model can always have teething pains.
3) Honda knows how to make great transmission, NOT! Do you really want to be Guinea-pig for their 1st CVT implementation?
4) One of the reason one would select Accord over Camry is easier buying process because all the cars come quipped from the factory based upon the trim level. You don't need a computer program or a big "if-then-else" flow chart to get the options that you want.
4) I second the person who said flip a coin and decide between the Accord and Camry.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

3) Honda knows how to make great transmission, NOT! Do you really want to be Guinea-pig for their 1st CVT implementation?

1996 Civic HX had a CVT.

My neighbor , a Doctor, just bought a new Camry for work. Commutes to Duke.
Loves it and made a point to tell everyone that it is the most American car you can buy. Made me start thinking that yes Camrys and Hondas are the American auto industry in 2012.
Accord, Camry, Altima all assembled in USA.

Honda's hybrids have had CVTs for years.

I personally wouldn't give a second thought to the CVT...if I liked how it drove. They've been decent in the hybrids I've driven (Ford Fusion, Ford Escape), but I didn't care for it all that much in a Nissan Murano I once rented. I guess as with everything else these days: it's all in the programming.

I've always said that if I can't hear or feel it shifting, then I wouldn't care. But since you can usually hear/feel the shifts, then it's annoying when it hunts up/down.

I have heard that the CVT in the Accord mimics regular transmission i.e. it sort of uses discrete and discernible shift points. I was not aware that Honda had been doing CVT for a while although I don't think there had been many Honda cars on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back