Your thoughts on new Camry or 2013 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

I'm thinking of selling the '05 Sienna since I'm down to 2 kids and getting either the new 2013 Accord or a Camry. Let me know your experience with the new Camry style that came out last year. I know the Accord is new today, so I don't anticipate any info on that model from anyone. I'm going to get a 4 cyl either way.

I personally think the Camry has gotten uglier and uglier since the model that was out in the mid-1990s.

The accord has always been a good looking car and I think this one is no different. It is also not some treasure trove of newfangled advanced tech, so I cant imagine that it is the kind of car that is going to need a lot of changes even in its first year.

Id go 4 cyl MT accord all the way. Better looking, im guessing more economical, and I suppose new chassis, which may or may not be a good thing, but it is new...

I don't think you could go wrong w/ either but I agree the looks of the new Camry aren't the best. Accord CVT is supposed to be very unnoticeable by CVT standards. Whatever that means... They say the manual 4 cyl Accord Sport is a hoot to drive a la the old TSX...

^ what he said, you cant' go wrong with either.

I suggest you test drive them both and see which one fits you better.

My friend's sister bought new 2012 Camry LE few months ago for $20k plus tax and license from a So Cal dealer.

The engine is very quiet in city driving, very little wind and engine noise on highway.

As mentioned above, you should test drive both Camry and Accord to see which one you like better. You may also want to test drive Hyundai Sonata too.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I personally think the Camry has gotten uglier and uglier since the model that was out in the mid-1990s.

The accord has always been a good looking car and I think this one is no different. It is also not some treasure trove of newfangled advanced tech, so I cant imagine that it is the kind of car that is going to need a lot of changes even in its first year.

Id go 4 cyl MT accord all the way. Better looking, im guessing more economical, and I suppose new chassis, which may or may not be a good thing, but it is new...

I'm sort of stuck with the CVT if I go with the Accord since my wife will be the primary driver and she doesn't want to shift anymore even though she's got mad skillz with a manual trans. Also, the CVT actually gets better mileage than the 6-spd, which is apparently not that unusual these days. I've never even driven a car with a CVT, but there aren't a lot of people that seem to be fans of them. I'm also still a bit leery of D.I. engines and the new 4 cyl Accord engine is their first DI engine for the North American market. The Honda website says the CVT gets better mileage (by 2 MPG) so they are likely the future and I probably need to get used to the idea of DI and CVT. I may go drive an Accord next week and let you know what I think. The Accord is definitely a better looking car IMO. I've never owned a bad Honda or Toyota---

I think both are boring. Buy a 2014 Fusion. I say 2014, because it will take a year to iron all the kinks out...:)

Seriously though, out of those 2, flip a coin. Drive both, and pick the one you like best. Both will have good resale. Both are appliances.

I'm a Toyota guy but the Accord still uses wishbones in the front. Easy to change shocks yourself. ALso, th enew Accord is a bit smaller than the last one. I thought they were getting a bit fat.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I think both are boring. Buy a 2014 Fusion. I say 2014, because it will take a year to iron all the kinks out...:)

Seriously though, out of those 2, flip a coin. Drive both, and pick the one you like best. Both will have good resale. Both are appliances.

That is a good option, the pics I saw of that car look pretty good.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I'm a Toyota guy but the Accord still uses wishbones in the front. Easy to change shocks yourself. ALso, th enew Accord is a bit smaller than the last one. I thought they were getting a bit fat.

I know it heresy, but Honda ditched the wishbones and went to struts on the 2013 Accord-----! They did it on the last generation Civic too (I had an '02 Civic), much to the dismay of many customizers.

I read on Motor Trend they went to a standard strut setup in the '13s.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01

Yeah, they're appliance vehicles for sure. I've got kids in college, so I have limited choices and I need better MPG with gas getting near that $4 range again. When I need to get my speed thrills, I get on one of my motorcycles---:)

If you're looking for a modestly sport oriented family sedan, the Camry is out of the running, the Accord 4 cylinder and NEW Fusion are best choices.

When it comes to reliability and durability the Accord does the best overall job at being a tiny bit fun to drive and bulletproof reliability.

I personally would buy the NEW 2013 Accord LX with a manual transmission. It is one heck of a deal when you consider what you are getting.

The only negative about it is the lack of the dbl wishbone suspension for struts which will give a slightly more firm ride, but most folks won't mind it.

The Honda Accord used the dbl wishbone frt suspension from 1986-2012. Between 1976-1985 they used struts.

this Kia Ford Hyundai durability won't mesure up if you keep the car into the second or third 100k.

saw another new Kia on a tow truck this afternoon.

I know it's a little thing, but I HATE the Accord's automatic gear selector.

That is the cheesiest, plastic, most imprecise selector ever.

I've played video games that had a higer quality shift selector than the Accord's

The manual feels pretty good considering it's a cable shifted front wheel drive, but that auto selector is horrible.

And why just the Accord and Camry? Why not consider the Optima, Kizashi, Legacy, Mazda6, Passat, Malibu, or Fusion?
Or if it's price, why not a Mitsubishi Galant? It's a little dated in the powertrain dept but the Galant is a pretty nice car for a little less on average.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

I read on Motor Trend they went to a standard strut setup in the '13s.

Bummer. Camry then.

Should I address the elephant in the room and recommend the new Altima ??? It looks really good on paper, including handling and fe #s. What more , its still a port injected engine , so no worries about deposits like in a DI engine, also cheaper to repair in the long run. You can get decently equipped 2.5 SV model between 22.5~24 k depending on what kind of deal you work out.

Yes I know it has a CVT, but its a second gen CVT and in Sport mode does a simulation of a 6 speed transmission. 38 mpg highway. Regular Unleaded. 0w20 Full Syn OEM spec.

The Accord appears to be the more athletic one. Honda maintenance is typically much easier than Toyota, as you probably are aware of.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Altimas only because my mother has a 2010 Altima 3.5 V6 and the car is extremely well-made and an absolute blast to drive. Unfortunately, they do not age as well, are more difficult to service and the dealer generally caters to a "different" clientele.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I'd be interested in the maintenance schedule for that new Accord CVT trans.

On most Honda transmissions, be prepared to drain and refill the transmission fluid at least every 3 oil changes if you want it to behave properly.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back