Your Priciest Tow

Never had to pay for a tow out of pocket - I’m a AAA Premier member for that reason, $110 a year is cheap insurance in case I need to be on the hook.

AAA NorCal did do tipsy tows during the winter holidays, 7/4 and the Super Bowl however. In that case, a few $10 cocktails caused me to get one.

None that I can recall. I've had AAA for the past 15 years and have always broken down within the 100 miles that my plan has. I had to use them the other day when my 92 Cavalier quit.

We actually used 4 of our tows this year. One tow was 78 miles. It was covered.. tolls were not.

Was billed $90 to cover the tolls (for their truck) on that one.. but the tow was free. Tow would have easily been ohh hmm.. $3.50 per mile x 78 miles plus hookup fee etc.. a lot. When the car died, was lucky to be able to ride in the back seat of it.. could not ride in cab due to COVID.

$80 to have my beetle towed from where I bought it to my house 22 miles away. I have no complaints the tow truck driver was friendly and complemented the beetle and then talked about how he had one when he was growing up.

As an tow truck operator, biggest tow bill on a point to point tow was $1000 for 182 miles. Normally I would charge port to port by the hour rates which are $125 an hour on that, but the customer was going to get reimbursed by the shop I was towing his truck due to lets say forgetting to torque everything to spec on a rebuilt motor. Our per mile rates are 90 for the hookup, 5 dollars per mile otherwise.

Taking a 500 mile round trip this weekend and will be towing my Jeep.

I keep thinking of the tow bill home for when my F350 breaks down. It's a lot cheaper to rent a truck, so that's what I did!

Worst case, my F350 breaks down the entire 250 miles from home and I'm looking at a $3000+ tow bill. $380 for a Uhaul ...
A U-Haul will not safely carry your truck.

About $350 for me...towing my (crashed) Sportster from the middle of nowhere ~30 miles east of Texarkana to Little Rock. Fortunately, all but I think $60 was covered, plus the $20 I tipped the driver.

I had Triple A for years....never used it. When my Saturn Ion died it was less than 3 miles from the junkyard where I could get $400 for salvage so I called AAA and when I gave them the address they said they would not tow to a junkyard. Told them they will never get another dime of my money. That is my only tow and it cost $50

Back