Your pick for Android GPS (driving)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went ahead and bought an HTC Tunderbolt about a month ago. I'm kind of interested in using it as a GPS to replace my Garmin in my car. You all have any prefs for GPS apps for your Android?

Google maps/navigation; it's free. Why pay! Plus, it's got the power of Google right there. It's already been a life saver for me while traveling - eons more functional then a stand alone GPS.

If you're worried that you might hit places without signal for downloading maps when using Google Nav, take a look at Co-pilot. It was $10 or $12 when I got it. Maps are a little old though. It doesn't require cell signal.

I like the Navigon Navigator. I am on PagePlus and don't have data on my Droid X. This app uses no data, all the maps are all downloaded to you SD card. It even zooms down to the lane you need to be in and shows you what exit to take and everything. I really like it. Here is a link, to download it for free. It is either $40 or $60 in the app store.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
If you're worried that you might hit places without signal for downloading maps when using Google Nav, take a look at Co-pilot. It was $10 or $12 when I got it. Maps are a little old though. It doesn't require cell signal.

Basic Google maps doesn't require a connection; I've driven through the boonies without a signal, and while navigation and the enhanced Google features won't work, basic navigation will. It's built into the application apparently.

My understanding is that the google map is only "caching" the frequently used info in the phone, but if you turn it on in the middle of nowhere for the 1st time it wouldn't work.

I had my Verizon data coverage completely turn off while storm chasing this year - something went wrong with it. Anyhow, the next morning, after my phone was off all evening, Google maps still worked! I was kind of shocked. I used it to drive home through 3 different states. Nothing else worked, but the basic map navigation worked.

Ive been using google. I only use it maybe once or twice a year. So I won't pay for anything. Most of the time I know where I am going.

Last edited:
Another Google Maps user here. I use it every now and again, and it works great for being a free application. Shoot, they could sell it and it'd still be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back