Your opionions about Super-Tech Motor Oil from Wal-Mart??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know most of you are very familiar with the Super-Tech oil filters from Wal-Mart and many on the forum are believing they are some of the best filters available.
Now.....Wal-Mart also sell Super-tech motor oil. Regular dino and synthetic......is anyone here using their oil or has any knowledge who makes it where it comes from and how good it is.

Thanks for your help !!

I've been using the 'SuperTech' synthetic oil (10w-30) in a couple of my older cars, and it seems to be OK, but I haven't done an analysis so I don't really know. For $2.97 a quart, I'm hopin' that its at least a little better than dino. It's sure cheap enough. When Wal-Mart has the 5-quart Mobil 1 jugs (I kinda' like 'jugs', you know what I mean?)for $17.97, I'll buy a few of those. They don't seem to have them all the time though.

Greg, I believe the stuff we have at our Walmarts up here is from a different supplier. The Supertech stuff in the US is supplied by Quaker State.

Johnny will have a lot more info. on this than me, but I do use it.

1. It's made by a PZ/QS subsidiary that will be phased out.
2. The specs (to my eye at least) look about as good as QS, even though it's not QS.
3. Some of the production has been shifted to Warren. There's a lot of Warren companies (when I have time I'll research that). Warren Performance apparently makes Sears Spectrum oil and those specs are pretty good too at least for Warren's own marketed oils.
4. There is a very good chance that production will be shifted to the Equilon plants when Havoline gets shifted from that plant. When that happens ST might look a lot like Shell.

I still use it because it's $11.94 an oil change, uses bottled not bulk oil, and has good numbers. I've put off testing because SuperTech a year from now will probably be a different (Shell) oil. My feelings are that most SL oils are plenty good enough with 4K changes, unless you're driving a Camry or other oil grinder.

I should have added that there is a SuperTech syn. oil test-- on Mazda I think-- posted here that had very good results. One of the best group III's I think at least on that single test.

I use both the Super-Tech Synthetic 10W-30 and 5W-30.

They're definitely Synthetic becuase they make my engines very happy in the winter!!!

For $3/qt its very cheap.

Mobil 1 is about $4.77/qt but I'm contemplating switching to Mobil 1 for all my engines and changing them once or twice a year.

Metroplex, If your going to start using M1 try and find the 5 quart jugs at Wallmart for $17.88
grin.gif
I know that alot of Wallmart's don't stock them but if your's does it makes M1 out to $3.35 per quart. Our local Wallmart usually has the 5 quart jugs but yesterday was a different story. I went in around noon looking to buy a few and noticed there was a empty space where they usually are so I asked the guy at the counter and he said they put out 25 of them when they opended and they went like flies in #$%&.

our walmart has never heard of the 5 qt jugs!

I asked them too. They only have the $4.77/qt deals.
frown.gif

Unless someone can prove that the SuperTech Synth oils are the same as dino oils (Group II), i'll probably use them and change the oil once or twice a year.

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
I should have added that there is a SuperTech syn. oil test-- on Mazda I think-- posted here that had very good results. One of the best group III's I think at least on that single test.

Actually, that test was on Oz's car, but it was the Tech 2000 synthetic from the Canadian Walmarts so it's a different oil I think. He did a 5000km interval but it was a highway trip too so any oil will shine in this situation too.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Metroplex, I believe it is common knowledge that the S-T synthetic is a group III basestock.

Yeah so?
As long as its better than a Group II performance wise, it's a very good buy.

Even in freezing temperatures, the S-T synth flows like water. The Pennzoil 5W-30 dino flows like molasses at the same temperature.

Metroplex.

I believe Groucho was merely helping by replying to you above post

(They're definitely Synthetic becuase they make my engines very happy in the winter!!!

For $3/qt its very cheap.)

Group III's are not aknowledged to be a synthetic even by you in previous threads,I step it up a bit,Lubrizol does not group them with synlubes either.
Why don't you have a analysis done on these oils you ask about ? Performance in the motor used and how it is driven tells the story if not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back