Your Opinions on a Car for My Wife, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Fusion would also be a good contender.

Agreed the 2012 though. The 13 is a new body and I never recommend buying the first year.

I wouldn't worry. I violated that rule when I bought my 2010 SHO. A few little things here and there but nothing show stopping. At 52k now and I'd buy it again.

I am also not crazy about the new passat. Big and boring to drive, interior is simple but underwhelming, and x100 about that cheap analog clock. Of those 4 I would check out the Honda or Nissan.

We have a 2013 Passat TDI and like it. It is my first VW and first German car. I took a chance on the reliability. I did a lot of research and feel comfortable with the decision. It comes with a 50k mile drivetrain warranty, so it's got 50k to prove its reliability to me. This generation Passat is now assembled in the US. The TDI was the only engine we considered. We probably would have bought an Accord, otherwise.

We ordered it with a 6 speed manual to avoid the dual clutch auto. As a 6MT, you can't get the nav, sunroof, and other higher end options (not in the US, anyway).

We've put about 5k miles on it in 10 weeks of ownership and no problems. It has averaged ~42mpg. It has a ton of room in the rear seat (plenty for a couple car seats).

Overall, we are happy with the purchase and would purchase again.

I would go for the Accord based on previous experiences with Honda in general. My wife and I have owned/operated a 92', 94', 00' and 07' Accord and they were all excellent vehicles with no glitches whatsoever in any of them. We ran the 00' Accord to 220,000 miles before trading it in for the 07'. She currently has the 07' at 130,000 miles. We're going to try and get it to 300,000 and see what happens.
smile.gif

I also had a 92' Prelude Si. It was the car that made me fall in love with Hondas. Just loved the way it drove. After ten years and 110,000 miles, I gave it to my sister-in-law and got a 2002 Acura TL-S(Had kids. Needed more space). I liked it, but it also had issues that annoyed me. I personally think Accords are made better than TL's (based on my personal experience). When I finally had the money(and my wife's permission!), I bought a used 96' Prelude VTEC. Did I mention that I love Hondas???
grin.gif

The one thing my wife liked the best about the Accords, (and I think your wife would also appreciate this) was that every knob and button was within her reach without having to stretch. No small feat, considering my wife is only 5'.
Aside from the occasional lemon,(Every model no matter how reliable will have a few) I can pretty much state with absolute confidence that your wife would be very happy with an Accord.

I don't have any experiences with the other makes, so I can't comment on them. Good luck with your purchase!

I could complain about lots of things on our Accord, but the reality is that it hasn't needed any work in ~80,000 miles and 10 years. Brake pads, timing belt replacement, tires, oil, nothing else.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Fusion would also be a good contender.

Agreed the 2012 though. The 13 is a new body and I never recommend buying the first year.

I wouldn't worry. I violated that rule when I bought my 2010 SHO. A few little things here and there but nothing show stopping. At 52k now and I'd buy it again.

Many people do have good luck with first year vehicles. It is just a personal preference for me. I like to have as good of idea as possible of what I am buying. It's not like I'm paranoid or anything, I really just like the styling of my tin foil hat lol

From the list, I'd go with the Honda.
Unless your wife is really engaged in driving, it should be perfect for commuting and errands.

2013 Accord: looks excellent (if we were in 1999), the resale is there, the usual set of Honda stereotypes are there, it's relatively well built, and built in America. If you can get a competitive price over the other choices, I'd go with that one for sure

mazda 6 if you want the car with funnest to drive 4 cylinder. if not id say accord for reliability!

too bad you dont like toyota!! above 2 are good tho

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Accord for the interior, and an engine that makes more than the specified 278hp.

278hp? Now I understand your comments regarding tracking the car. I thought to myself"an accord? On a track?" But with those kinds of ponies now I understand.
I will have to remember that this summer and not under-estimate the accord when I pull up on a light.
Back on topic
I like the Altima for looks and styling. I drove a rental for a week and I didn't want to give it back however I cannot comment as to their long term reliability.
And there is always old faithful asin the accord.
VW has lost something over the years and I read and hear friends complaining about theirs all the time.
I suggest renting each option for a week and have the lady put in some seat time with each of them. A few bucks now in rentals could save you a serious headache later if she decides regrets he choice.
Remember:if the mama ain't happy nobodies happy.
Good luck in your quest.

A car for your wife? Sounds like a fair trade!
lol.gif

Joking of course - but I'd suggest you add the 2014 Mazda6 to your test drive list.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Accord for the interior, and an engine that makes more than the specified 278hp.

278hp? Now I understand your comments regarding tracking the car. I thought to myself"an accord? On a track?" But with those kinds of ponies now I understand.
I will have to remember that this summer and not under-estimate the accord when I pull up on a light.
Back on topic
I like the Altima for looks and styling. I drove a rental for a week and I didn't want to give it back however I cannot comment as to their long term reliability.
And there is always old faithful asin the accord.
VW has lost something over the years and I read and hear friends complaining about theirs all the time.
I suggest renting each option for a week and have the lady put in some seat time with each of them. A few bucks now in rentals could save you a serious headache later if she decides regrets he choice.
Remember:if the mama ain't happy nobodies happy.
Good luck in your quest.

AFAIK, Honda does not officially sell their cars to rental places, as they feel it hurts depreciation. Still, I'm sure some make it into rental fleets somewhere.

While it's not my cup of tea, oilBabe's 2010 Altima S has been almost flawless in 75K miles over three years.

Other than having to connect an evaporator drain hose the first summer, it's just been gas, oil changes and a new set of tires before this winter.

She really loves the keyless entry where she just carries the fob in her purse. For a mom with things to juggle, I can see why that's a valued feature.

Just replaced the batteries on it around the same time as the tires, so just a little over two years life from the factory batteries.

It's a little more sporty than a Camry, and likely has similar reliability.

I think she wishes she stepped up to the SL with a few more features such as a lighting package, and perhaps automatic headlights. I suspect some of those may now be standard on the new 2013 Altima S.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
My wife has a ten year old Saturn that we intend to keep as a grocery getter. For trips and usage for her small business (she gives lectures on making quilts), I'd like her to have a new car that should be more reliable. The Saturn has been reliable but with 104,000 miles on it, I am leery of the fuel pump, the alternator, etc as they are all original.

Anyway, we are looking for a front drive (preferably) sedan that is big enough to hold a child seat in the rear seat for our 11 month old grandson. The car needs to be automatic (not stick) and should be easily servicable by yours truly for oil changes, etc. It should have as a minimum power windows, locks, air conditioning, CD player and radio. There is no need for Bluetooth or GPS as we have the latter as a high quality stand alone unit. Powerdoor locks, remote trunk lock release and power seats are also on the list.

We have narrowed down the field to the following:

1. Nissan Altima
2. Honda Accord
3. Volkswagen Passat
4. Chevrolet Malibu

What are your opinions on which is the best of these? What are your reasons? Have I left out any (not a Toyota guy, sorry) that we should be looking at?

Thanks for the thoughts and advice.

Originally Posted By: mrplavick
...I'd suggest you add the 2014 Mazda6 to your test drive list.

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller
Sonata...seriously...try one!

Yep.

I'm a little biased towards Mazda, but I liked everything except the steering on the Sonata.

I would add in the Kia Optima. The Sonata's prettier sister.

If you can step down to a compact, the Cruze is very well liked.

The Buick Verano is very good looking, meets all the criteria you posted, has acoustical laminated glass and a lot of sound deadening making it the quietest car in it's class. The only real drawback is the price tag. It's a compact at the price of a midsize. But what a compact. Spec'd as I want it, it's pushing $30,000 and that's too much.

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller
Sonata...seriously...try one!

I don't know about the sonata, but the elantra is mpfi, not direct injection. That was a major part or my decision.

I'd go for the Honda Accord. Reliable, handles well, good power, good mpg's, nice looking in the right color as well as an attractive interior. Road noise MAY be a bit worse than the others but other than that I can think of no reason not to choose the Accord.

Honda Accord I4 lx-CVT is my vote.Did had 95 accord 85k sold,97
accord 135k gave it to my sister-still working.My 06 accord with
68k still going strong.Just basic stuff-battery,wipers,brakes,
filters,fluids.Stay on O.E. fluids.Test drive any car's you
choose,compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back