Your Opinions on a Car for My Wife, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a ten year old Saturn that we intend to keep as a grocery getter. For trips and usage for her small business (she gives lectures on making quilts), I'd like her to have a new car that should be more reliable. The Saturn has been reliable but with 104,000 miles on it, I am leery of the fuel pump, the alternator, etc as they are all original.

Anyway, we are looking for a front drive (preferably) sedan that is big enough to hold a child seat in the rear seat for our 11 month old grandson. The car needs to be automatic (not stick) and should be easily servicable by yours truly for oil changes, etc. It should have as a minimum power windows, locks, air conditioning, CD player and radio. There is no need for Bluetooth or GPS as we have the latter as a high quality stand alone unit. Powerdoor locks, remote trunk lock release and power seats are also on the list.

We have narrowed down the field to the following:

1. Nissan Altima
2. Honda Accord
3. Volkswagen Passat
4. Chevrolet Malibu

What are your opinions on which is the best of these? What are your reasons? Have I left out any (not a Toyota guy, sorry) that we should be looking at?

Thanks for the thoughts and advice.

I would cross out the Passat if you want absolutely proven reliability. Historically speaking you buy VW for interior quality, handling, style, but not reliability. Yes they are better now than in the past, but I still wouldn't chance it unless you are absolutely in love with it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Subaru not on your list?
Easy maintenance, reliable, AWD, great build quality.

Agreed on all of that. Aside from the cheapish interior materials.

2013 Passat TDI SEL is what my wife likes and I would add the extended VW 100k mile warranty.

Of those 4 choices if it were my money I'd go for the Honda Accord. My brother has a 2008 Accord Coupe and in the 110,000 miles it's been pretty flawless mechanically despite some dismal reliability surveys for 2008 Accords. The only issues he has had are some interior wear issues.

We've had three Accords, two bought new and one used.
That should tell you something.
My wife drives a Forester and I wouldn't rule Subaru out.
On the few days of the year when you really need it, AWD is priceless.
The rest of the year, you get a very roomy four seater that is neither quick nor economical.
You could always get an Accord and buy a set of winter tires, if snow and ice conditions are a concern to your wife.
Finally, a 104K Saturn is not worn out.
If minor parts concern you, replace them.
A new Accord would offer significant advantages in interior room, acceleration and crash safety over any Saturn, and the Accord would easily hold any infant car seat in the center rear.
Why not have her drive both a Forester and an Accord and see what she thinks?

Honda CRV AWD hatchback. Its part suv, part car. Tall, no slamming curbs. Well protected body where the rust starts. I've been looking, going to get one as the next used car! Should make a good work vehicle for the city.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Fusion would also be a good contender.

Agreed the 2012 though. The 13 is a new body and I never recommend buying the first year.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Fusion would also be a good contender.

In 6 decades of purchases, my wife's 2010 3.0 Fusion is the best car I've ever owned...in my locale, the Subies have a die-hard following.

On your list... Walking the dog in the morning I hear cold starts, how the cars warm up, etc. The first one on your list, the Nissan Altima. Very quiet, no ticks! If sound matters its a good engine!

too bad your not into toyotas, a camry fits right in. i would avoid any CVT, i dont care if its a honda accord. FU CVT's.

+1
I had a 2011 4cyl. Malibu. A pill head helped me total the car. Replaced this car with a 2008 Accord with the I4.
This is half again the car the Malibu was in my eyes. I am 6'5" and I can sit straight up in the backseat of the Accord. The interior of the Accords were copied from the interior dimensions of the Mercedes 300 class.
I am well pleased with the Accord.
smile.gif

Test drove a Passat TDI for my wife too last week - hated the way it drove, weird and laggy (auto) - interior was only 'ok' - cheapish looking analog clock as if it came out of a dollar store.
did NOT feel good enough for a car that 30k + dollars. Seats were nice. Adding options that are standard on most cars in the segment would drive the price high. Very little car for the money, IMO.
Idle of the TDI was much louder than we expected from inside. Not a good sound, but that's to be somewhat expected.

I really wanted to like the Passat and had high hopes, It feels nothing like the 'German' Passat they used to sell here.

Mazda 6 (2014) interior felt a lot better put together and quality was higher. Even in the base Mazda 6, blind sport monitoring, rear cross traffic alert and rear view camera were standard. BSM is not even available in ANY trims on the Passat. And compared to the Passat the Mazda felt very quick to me. (probably due the highly praised 'sporty' auto trans, that's somehow a cross betw. a DSG and a normal auto)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back