Your opinions/information on Mobil Drive Clean Syn Blend ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local WalMart stocks Mobil Drive Clean and Mobil Drive Clean Synthetic Blend. They are both relatively cheap......$1.19 for the DC and 2.09 for the DC Synthetic Blend.......I read all the post on the Drive Clean on this board, but have not seen any posts on the DC Synthetic Blend. What are your opinons on both of these? Terry, what about any analysis you may have done on these oils? How are they compared to others? Is it worth the money to buy the SC Synthetic Blend??

Appreciate the info!!
cheers.gif

Alex here is my take FWIW. Cost a side the Mobil blend will do a better job and tend to oxidize less with it's 9-12 percent PAO.
If you are not brand loyal and are a Walmart buyer only, the Chevron oil and the Ford Motorcraft oils are very good ones for the money.
The only way to get a blend with more PAO than the Drive Clean is in a Schaeffers oil or a Phillips oil. Phillips is 10/30 only this year.

Again it a FWIW but if I were going to pay 2+ dollars a quart I would step up to Schaeffers or a real synthetic and run the miles up on the interval,,dunno the Drive Clean Blend just might do it? Have not seen a UOA of it to give an opinion of how long it will run but it will go farther than plain Drive Clean w/o PAO.
Just depends on how you drive and planned intervals I guess? I would put most all dino's up against other so called blends that are not a true PAO blend.Or depending on what car you have/warranty ect there are other ways to lube a motor

What type car/motor do you have?

[ January 04, 2003, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Thanks for the opinion dragboat!! I am looking for oil for my 1994 Thunderbird with the modular 4.6 V8 and 93,000 miles. I am doing an Auto RX in a wjile with SuperTech 5W-30 and want to run the drive clean Synthetuc Blend after that to keep cleaning. What do you mean with the Phillips oil only being available this year ?? What is the name of the Phillips Oil?? Are the motorcraft also part syn? Can't get any other syn for $2 here and Shaeffer's is difficult to get...have to buy in bulk..otherwise I cetainly would get it..
quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Alex here is my take FWIW. Cost a side the Mobil blend will do a better job and tend to oxidize less with it's 9-12 percent PAO.
If you are not brand loyal and are a Walmart buyer only, the Chevron oil and the Ford Motorcraft oils are very good ones for the money.
The only way to get a blend with more PAO than the Drive Clean is in a Schaeffers oil or a Phillips oil. Phillips is 10/30 only this year.

Again it a FWIW but if I were going to pay 2+ dollars a quart I would step up to Schaeffers or a real synthetic and run the miles up on the interval,,dunno the Drive Clean Blend just might do it? Have not seen a UOA of it to give an opinion of how long it will run but it will go farther than plain Drive Clean w/o PAO.
Just depends on how you drive and planned intervals I guess? I would put most all dino's up against other so called blends that are not a true PAO blend.Or depending on what car you have/warranty ect there are other ways to lube a motor

What type car/motor do you have?

For a 5 qt sump, why not use 1 qt Mobil 1, 4 qt's Mobil Drive Clean (regular) and then you get 15-20% synthetic for about the same price. I'm not much for self blending, but I think the Drive Clean Blend seems a bit overpriced for the little amount of synthetic. I'm not saying it's bad, I just question the price.

Alex
In the past Phillips offered more true blends but this year it can only be had in a Trop Artic Synthetic Blend 10/30 wt or a Trop Artic Synthetic Blend 15/40. Race oil with plenty of additive for continuous street duty.Because of the merger,some neat oils have been dropped by both Conoco and Phillips for some reason ?

They have a neat oil called the 10/30 Trop Artic Turbo oil,it is not the same as the regular Trop Artic 10/30,it has Moly and something that brings the TBN up to 13 in a virgin analysis
cool.gif
,,,if you can find it,bet you would like it
smile.gif

There is alot of oils to chose from huh ?
smile.gif
That Motorcraft is a good one that nobody really has talked about that much. Easy to find and about 1.25 a quart,5/50,10/30,10/40 and 20/50 PCMO

I am not trying to stear you away from the Drive Clean though
smile.gif

[ January 04, 2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

i used to use drive clean blend...but i blend that with the normal mobil drive clean...1 qt blend with 2 qt normal. i kinda like mobil drive clean...it seems to run smoother to me. i am still wondering if there is something better than drive clean or clean blend...my car has 150k on it and really i need a pretty good oil, aside from syntetic...

is penzoil a better choice? i dont liek castrol...it stinks...is there a differnce, or is it because of the group number they both come from...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back