Your opinion on Post-Covid vehicle repair shop timeline

Hey guys, dropped my 93 Shadow off at a transmission shop last Wednesday, Jan 4th at 6:00 a.m., as instructed when I made the appointment a week before Christmas. This is to diagnose and repair a fluid leak, most likely from the front pump. As of 5:30 tonight, the car is still sitting in the same spot I parked it in.

Trying to be patient while I ponder why they would have me drop it off on a specific date when it's pretty clear they're too busy to work on it for what's turning out to be an extended period of time. Part of my irritation is knowing that once they figure out why it's leaking, they will have to order, and wait for parts.

Really looking for opinions on how long you guys would let the car sit there in an unsecured urban parking lot before you go retrieve it and take it somewhere else. I'm inclined to go over there Wednesday night after work and get it, but I've never been known for my patience, so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Was there a HELP WANTED and "Please do not apply if you oversleep, have no alarm clock, have no car, have court often, have no baby sitter every day, have to give friends rides to work later than we start work, experience flat tires every week, have to hold on to cell phone all day, or become an expert at your job with no need to learn or take advice after the first day," "Must be able to remember to come back to work after lunch. Should not expect to receive Purple Ribbons or Gold Star for showing up to work on time." posted?

I brought a 2002 Tundra to a very regarded shop that clearly preferred commercial customers (as time = money) about 10 days into it, i indicated it was causing strife with the woman whose vehicle it was because getting promised one thing and not delivering was far worse than just promising it "2 weeks out" They finally finished the job on a Saturday, which they usually don't work, to make amends. I think 1 week tops. I would not retrieve it, kindly inform them it is needed.

Last edited:
It’s normal for cars to sit at repair shops like this in my experience, even before covid. They could have gotten backed up or some priority job came up (come back). Call the next day and see how everything is going.

They know you don't want to pay the labor hours for the job, so they are back-burnering you. Not calling you cheap at all. I'm saying the amount of labor that will be required for the job totals the cars worth. They realize they are going to become liable for engine, transmission, drivetrain and suspension after they touch the car. They might have quoted you flat rate, and are now waiting for a slow day to do the work. Simply because they make a lot more money when your car isn't on the lift.

I know this forum is an old guys club, but I figure I'd be honest.

They know you don't want to pay the labor hours for the job, so they are back-burnering you. Not calling you cheap at all. I'm saying the amount of labor that will be required for the job totals the cars worth. They realize they are going to become liable for engine, transmission, drivetrain and suspension after they touch the car. They might have quoted you flat rate, and are now waiting for a slow day to do the work. Simply because they make a lot more money when your car isn't on the lift.

I know this forum is an old guys club, but I figure I'd be honest.

And I appreciate the honesty.

It depends if you can afford to burn your relationship with the shop. If there are an abundance of comparable shops near you, go in and ask for the keys and walk away forever. If they are one of one, or one of a couple, you might just have to be patient. This is why competition is good.

It depends if you can afford to burn your relationship with the shop. If there are an abundance of comparable shops near you, go in and ask for the keys and walk away forever. If they are one of one, or one of a couple, you might just have to be patient. This is why competition is good.

I went to them on recommendation from a reputable shop nearby that specializes in older cars, they just don't work on transmissions. My Shadow was the youngest car at the place when I went over there. They've been friends and exchanging business for 38 years.

There are other transmission shops in the area, but word of mouth can mean a lot in these situations. I certainly don't want to take it to Aamco because God knows who they've hired to work in those garages.

To clarify my position, I wouldn't be getting in such a twist about this if my car were being stored inside at night. I feel like it's very vulnerable sitting in the semi-sketchy part of town it's in, completely unsecured. That, and I was told Thursday that it would be on the lift by Friday.

It doesn't help that as mechanics and skilled tradesmen retire, they aren't exactly being replaced to keep up with demand. And some companies don't care as they can charge more for each job rand turn down work rather than being more competitive like they were years ago.

Gen X parents want their kids to go to college, not be a mechanic or a HVAC tech. A parent would rather brag about his daughter being an RN making 6 figures than having a son that never went to college and is a mechanic making $75K a year.

I went to them on recommendation from a reputable shop nearby that specializes in older cars, they just don't work on transmissions. My Shadow was the youngest car at the place when I went over there. They've been friends and exchanging business for 38 years.

There are other transmission shops in the area, but word of mouth can mean a lot in these situations. I certainly don't want to take it to Aamco because God knows who they've hired to work in those garages.

To clarify my position, I wouldn't be getting in such a twist about this if my car were being stored inside at night. I feel like it's very vulnerable sitting in the semi-sketchy part of town it's in, completely unsecured. That, and I was told Thursday that it would be on the lift by Friday.
Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% with you on your concerns. I'm just saying that from a practical perspective, you take the vehicle back and never return, push them (gently or firmly) about the timeline and risk annoying them, or just wait it out. I recently went with the "wait it out" option with my local mechanic. Aside from their work volume constraints, my repair should have been a day, maybe two. It was closer to two weeks. But I didn't get ripped off and the repairs - which I know were a pain in the rear - were done properly.

It is even possible they had a part shortage working on cars that is slowing them down too. Seen that a bunch lately. Plus, the may have already ordered a part or too for it. Being that old, it doesn’t have to be on a lift…..

That stinks. If you have an appointment, they should be working on the car unless you have some other agreement.
Any decent business knows how to schedule and keep the customer informed.

That stinks. If you have an appointment, they should be working on the car unless you have some other agreement.
Any decent business knows how to schedule and keep the customer informed.

Scheduling in this business is difficult under the best of circumstances, Right now with parts availability being a crapshoot.....It is what it is........That's not factoring in the seemingly constant instability with employee's.

Having a vehicle out in the open where it can be vandalized easily is a whole other issue.

Man, I had a shop i could drop it off in the morning and pick up same day.

One time, I forgot to keep track of my wifes front brakes, and ate the rotors, 4PM friday afternoon, immediately drove to repair shop, they had it fixed late morning next day.

They closed down and retired, IM screwed, for quick service, the shop I want to use, talks like a couple days in line.

EEEEKKKK!!!!

nothing has changed for me. i have been to the same shop for 25 years. they have maintained all my vehicles and they also provide me with tires. they are the largest tire shop in my area. they sell tires to everyone including government, police, industry, forestry. i can go anywhere in the building and no one ask questions. everyone knows me and i consider my mechanic a friend. i am always present when they do maintenance on my vehicle and we check everything together. i consider myself privilegied. they will change my oil same day, even if they are very busy. they will find a spot in their schedule. they keep all the information if my mazda dealer need info. the owner is a woman and she treats me like a vip. same with her husband.

Back