Your Opinion - NEW car or USED car for young adult

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first got my license I was 16 and the first few months I was driving around in my mom's or dad's cars. This was when we were hit with a hurricane and had to share our high school with the other high school because their school was destroyed. My school had the early session that started at 6 something or 7 (I can't remember). My sister and I were driven to school in the morning by our dad and since our mom worked close to the school we just walked there and took her car. I ended up being grouchy about it because I was tired as heck after school and had to sit around to wait for my mom. I guess I was one of those hissy fit ungrateful teenagers.

I was working part time for a year or so and had saved some money so I told my parents I wanted my own car. They said okay so I was looking for cars. Originally I was looking for something used in the $2000 range. One day I went browsing with my dad and went to the Honda dealership. We were looking at used cars, but I think we upped the budget a little since most of the ones in the $2000 range made my parents feel uncomfortable because they seemed old. That night I ended up driving a brand new Civic off the lot. I paid for a part of it, but the parents paid for a really good chunk.

It may just be my parents' philosophy (mom's mostly) that they have to provide to the best of their abilities for my sister and me, but they take care of insurance and any car repairs that are needed. But we kind of have an unspoken mutual agreement that we have to do well in school. So we find ways to pay for college and get the grades and they will do their best to take care of the rest.

I have to say though that I took better care of my car than my dad or mom of their car. With the exception of a few dings and scratches (caused by others), it looked almost new at 4 years old when I crashed it.

Thanks for reading my long story if you got here.

Last edited:
It's social status.

There are guys who buy a VERY expensive car since they drive around a lot and want to give the impression that they are wealthy. They also live in a shack.

There are guys who buy a gopher car. The commuter, gets them from point A to point B. They live in a nice house.

Then you got the guys who own a nice car, nice house, but the personality of a spoiled child. If you are born into wealth you are more likely to turn out spoiled. If you worked your way into wealth then you still know what it means to work.

*guys meaning guys/gals.

IMO, one thing all the parents should do instead of 'handing down' an old car is actually sell it to your kid instead of just giving it to him / her. What sort of value system are you instilling? Answer: None at all. If we are to tell the whole truth here, you're exchanging a car worth only a few thousand $$ for the convenience of no longer having to haul your kid everywhere he / she wants to go, but the harm your doing isn't worth what you gain.

"But I want my child to be in a safe car". Give me a break on the excuses. I drove a 1978 Chevy Monza from age 16 - 18 that I paid for by working my @ss off flipping burgers at Burger King. And guess what folks...I survived it without a scratch, despite being rear-ended by a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. It did just as much damage to his grille guard and bumper as it did to my bumper and taillights.

I'm not suggesting you put your kid in a car that's just plain unsafe to drive due to its own mechanical / structural infirmness, but your child also won't die any worse death in a used Civic than he / she will in a BMW 3-series. And the value lesson you're teaching by making them pay for it will be invaluable down the road. Don't rob your kids of the pride of ownership by buying it for them. We have enough spoiled brats driving around in BMWs as it is.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
When I first got my license I was 16 and the first few months I was driving around in my mom's or dad's cars. This was when we were hit with a hurricane and had to share our high school with the other high school because their school was destroyed. My school had the early session that started at 6 something or 7 (I can't remember). My sister and I were driven to school in the morning by our dad and since our mom worked close to the school we just walked there and took her car. I ended up being grouchy about it because I was tired as heck after school and had to sit around to wait for my mom. I guess I was one of those hissy fit ungrateful teenagers.

I was working part time for a year or so and had saved some money so I told my parents I wanted my own car. They said okay so I was looking for cars. Originally I was looking for something used in the $2000 range. One day I went browsing with my dad and went to the Honda dealership. We were looking at used cars, but I think we upped the budget a little since most of the ones in the $2000 range made my parents feel uncomfortable because they seemed old. That night I ended up driving a brand new Civic off the lot. I paid for a part of it, but the parents paid for a really good chunk.

It may just be my parents' philosophy (mom's mostly) that they have to provide to the best of their abilities for my sister and me, but they take care of insurance and any car repairs that are needed. But we kind of have an unspoken mutual agreement that we have to do well in school. So we find ways to pay for college and get the grades and they will do their best to take care of the rest.

I have to say though that I took better care of my car than my dad or mom of their car. With the exception of a few dings and scratches (caused by others), it looked almost new at 4 years old when I crashed it.

Thanks for reading my long story if you got here.

You at least paid into it and worked out an agreement. You are grateful. You weren't like, BAM i'm 17. MOMMY I DEMAND A NEW CAR!!! ZOMGZ ITS THE WRONG COLOR!!!

Catch my drift.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
IMO, one thing all the parents should do instead of 'handing down' an old car is actually sell it to your kid instead of just giving it to him / her. What sort of value system are you instilling? Answer: None at all. If we are to tell the whole truth here, you're exchanging a car worth only a few thousand $$ for the convenience of no longer having to haul your kid everywhere he / she wants to go, but the harm your doing isn't worth what you gain.

"But I want my child to be in a safe car". Give me a break on the excuses. I drove a 1978 Chevy Monza from age 16 - 18 that I paid for by working my @ss off flipping burgers at Burger King. And guess what folks...I survived it without a scratch, despite being rear-ended by a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. It did just as much damage to his grille guard and bumper as it did to my bumper and taillights.

I'm not suggesting you put your kid in a car that's just plain unsafe to drive due to its own mechanical / structural infirmness, but your child also won't die any worse death in a used Civic than he / she will in a BMW 3-series. And the value lesson you're teaching by making them pay for it will be invaluable down the road. Don't rob your kids of the pride of ownership by buying it for them. We have enough spoiled brats driving around in BMWs as it is.

What kind of kills me, and I know BMW doesn't really care. Is that BMW's image is kind of muddled. BMW had a sort of Prestige in the 80's and early 90's. Now your 17 year old rich kid or a kid stupid enough to blow 545 bucks a month on a lease. There are kids who get a financed BMW and literally nickle and dime their parents for all repairs because they weren't smart enough to realize that brakes are $1200 bucks etc.

Last edited:
Used.

My kids (when I have them) will be getting a gazillion-miled, ancient hand-me-down car just like I did. I might help them a bit when that car dies, but that's it.

My current car is another hand-me-down that I've maintained quite well. Yes, it's dented, dinged, and a decade old, but it could do a long roadtrip tomorrow without worry.

My kids'll be helping out with maintenance as well. Not just holding tools, but doing the work. If they want me to do all the work on it, they have to mow the lawn or mop the floor.

I was reading on the Benz forums(the old 70's, 80's Diesel Benz that were 75hp).

So many of their forum users are teenagers and early 20 somethings that goto college and they LOVE the cars. Reliable, comfortable, fuel saving etc. These are some really sought after cars for some kids.

These are the kids that may have wanted a 4x4 but got the MB and went cross country. Maybe there is hope? lol

Last edited:
Wow. That's all I have to say after watching the clip of the rotten brat.

If my parents gave me the key to a brand new Lexus for my birthday, I think I would so happy that I might have had a heart attack. Heck, if it was a Corolla I would have been happy.

Her parents need to disown her and go adopt a few orphans that would appreciate their love.

Spend no more than $3000 on a car for a teenager, and see how long it lasts.

After a year, if it is still in good shape, and hasn't been in any collisions.... then consider something better.

This has been an area of debate for years in my family.
My quite wealthy cousin has 3 girls,all want cars that most people only dream of.Over the years numerous 911's,Infinities,Lexus,and BMW have come and gone,none lasted more than a few years before either being turned into a beat up rat or totalled,they don't even wash these cars.

My brother has 2 girls who will be driving soon,his wife has a like new 2008 Odyssey Touring that she offered to one of them for college,the brat had a fit screaming she wants a brand new car or my brothers new Infinity M45 or Corvette conv.I could have choked the little brat on the spot.

I chose i different approach.My son wanted a car so i told him to decide on the car.Surprisingly he chose a small Ford car with a 4 banger,a/c,ps and a radio.I asked him how much money he had and told him to find one in his price range.

I also looked for a newer one at a significantly higher price without telling him.Then we went to look at the ones he chose and he settled on a decent older car,i told him to think it over before handing his money over.

Then i just happened to drive by the one i found and he flipped out,feeling a little sad he just couldn't swing it,never the less satisfied with his new found car.

The look on his face when i told him he could have it for the same money and i would handle the rest was priceless.
He looks after that car like it was made of gold because he worked hard and saved for it.

Originally Posted By: Trav

The look on his face when i told him he could have it for the same money and i would handle the rest was priceless.
He looks after that car like it was made of gold because he worked hard and saved for it.

Very Cool - the best of all worlds.

I forgot to say that if I were to go back and do it again I would have got a used car.

I really liked my car and felt even better about it being new while my peers were either still riding the bus or driving older cars, but at one point it felt like I skipped a rite of passage by not having a car that needed things fixed. Sounds strange, but that was honestly in my head for a little while. Now that my second car is used, I think I fulfilled that rite.

It's also a lot less painful to find a dent or a scratch on a car that already has a few versus one that was kept in immaculate condition and jerks decide to key it, ding it, and even denting a rear quarter panel without taking responsibility for it.

I just recently found an area on the corner of my rear bumper where someone scuffed it and took off some paint. Although I felt bad about it, I know that I would probably be steaming if I still have the Civic.

Last edited:
I had to buy my first car from my folks and I had to pay for my own insurance, drivers test and drivers education. Not because my parents couldn't afford it but because they were teaching me responsibility and for that I'm grateful. I wouldn't have it any other way, even if I thought it wasn't fair at the time.
grin2.gif

I used my parents' car twice a week when I was 16, rode the bus the rest of the time until my friends started getting cars. When I was almost 18 I found the GN cheap and my grandmother loaned me the money for it. I remember the feeling of having my own car to take whenever I wanted and not having to ask permission. It was a great feeling and I still remember what it could be like. Also having the GN need a new engine later on and being laid off for a year taught me a lot. I was in my mid 20s with no car. I'll never forget what that felt like. I may have spent more than required for the TL but I'll never forget where I came from.

I was given my first car by my grandparents. A Green 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan with a 2.2L and 3 speed automagic. I was happy with it. I mean, I was not going to complain about a free car. It started everytime I turned the key, and rolled down the road. What more could I ask for? I think it only had to be towed once, but that was from a failed theft attempt much earlier in its life. I put new tires, brakes, spark plugs, plug wires, thermostat, coolant, various sensors, A/C Compressor, changed the oil every 5000 with synth and the transmission fluid literally almost as often. I did beat it on the road, but the power sucked, and I think my maintenance made up for it. I did get in an accident with it when I was rear-ended at a stop light, but that was not my fault. I gave it back to them running better than it was when I got it when I got my Vic. The trunk is beat up and insurance totalled it out, but it still runs great, and my brother will probably get it when he starts driving.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: Trav

Very Cool - the best of all worlds.

My dad did something like that for me too. That's a smooth move.

I don't buy myself a car that costs more than $2 or $3 thousand, so I'm certainly not going to help my kids buy anything different. It's stupid to buy a new car if you believe in getting your money's worth out of something--even those who buy new cars know that! Sure, there are other reasons to buy new, but no practical reasons. A first car should be practical, first and foremost. Safe, sturdy, easy and cheap to fix, parts readily available everywhere. Sure, I'll help my kids buy their first cars, but they'll be older cars that still have lots of life in them.

My kids both have used Ford Police Interceptors. One was for 1500 bucks [00] the other [03] for 2200 bucks. Both were take home Highway Patrol Cars. They had their oil changed out every 3K miles while they were in service. They have had them for close to a year now and they run just fine. Plus they are not gas guzzlers.

I feel the Interceptors are nice safe car for them. Even though the mileage is high they have been well maintained. Normally these cars go to cab duty until around 400K miles.

I would not recommend a city car or a pool car that everyone uses. But a take home highway patrol car is a perfect car for them.

I would rather have them in a full size car then a small Corolla.

I am surprised myself how much they like them. They even talked one of their friends into getting one.

To top it off they are very low maintenance cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back