Your old favourite, that you don’t get much anymore

Originally Posted by sohccammer427
Way back in another time I owned a Harley FX shovel head with cast iron jugs. We'd run Kendall Nitro 70 (straight 70 weight) in the summer and drop back to straight 60 weight in the winter. Seriously.

[Linked Image from picclickimg.com]

I used the Kendall GT1 50 wt flavor in my 1975 Kawasaki 900Z1 back in the day. It was the cats meow for motorcycles back then.

Last edited:
The cheap 29c / qt Formula Shell or Chevron Supreme, they don't do rebate like they used to anymore. It seems like they just hydrocrack the base oil into fuel like gasoline or diesel these days.

Castrol Edge 0W-30.

I go back to the original "Green GC" days and also used the "Gold GC" as well. But being able to get Edge 0W-40 from Wal-Mart or Amazon for ~US$30 made me forget about the original GC.
55.gif

Last edited:
Mobil 1 Synthetic - I used it years ago, not anymore.

Havoline - Used this for years in my very first car

The least expensive 10W-40 I could find on sale that met the latest API designation, S_ . The last few years I had the Mazda, that was usually Rural King, Peak (from hardware-store sales), or SuperTech. In the '90s, a lot from Advance on sale with rebates. (Yes, Advance used to have very competitive oil pricing.) In the '80s, whatever brand Kmart, Advance, or a local supermarket chain had on sale with rebate.

Last edited:
We used to have an oil called Esso XD-3 which was a primarily PAO HDEO in 0W30 and 0W40 flavour. Sold in the most basic black bottle with a minimalist label, it was "no show, all go". Really miss that oil, and the others like it

Chevron Supreme and Valvoline Daily Protection (white bottle) were my go-to oils back in the day. I don't use them anymore because I can get "full synthetic" oil for less money... rebates galore nowadays.

Originally Posted by bluesubie
Castrol Edge 0W-30.

I go back to the original "Green GC" days and also used the "Gold GC" as well. But being able to get Edge 0W-40 from Wal-Mart or Amazon for ~US$30 made me forget about the original GC.
55.gif

GC was legendary!

Chevron Supreme but now you can't get it around here so now I just use whatever. Depending on the vehicle, I'm using Phillips 66 Shield, Castrol HM, and Motorcraft blend.

You can still buy it. It's called Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W30.

Originally Posted by pschnahc
We used to have an oil called Esso XD-3 which was a primarily PAO HDEO in 0W30 and 0W40 flavour. Sold in the most basic black bottle with a minimalist label, it was "no show, all go". Really miss that oil, and the others like it

Kendall GT1 High Performance. The name still exists, and in essence the oil still exists as Driven GP-1, but the green Kendall from Bradford has been gone since the late nineties. I used to used this stuff in all my hot rods. Usually 20w50 and occasionally straight 50. A couple of weeks ago I bought 18 quarts of early nineties Nitro 70 from an old acquaintance who used to sell it back in the day. Dumped half a quart of it on my impala this afternoon. 😁

Pennzoil Yellow Bottle used to be all my dad would use and all he trained me to use. Then Walmart started phasing it out the parts stores still have it but we aren’t paying that price for it. Now I use Castrol and Valvoline and Pennzoil when we can find it on sale.

Pennzoil Yellow Bottle used to be all my dad would use and all he trained me to use. Then Walmart started phasing it out the parts stores still have it but we aren’t paying that price for it. Now I use Castrol and Valvoline and Pennzoil when we can find it on sale.
Napa runs Pennzoil on sale pretty often. Including 20w50 and straight 30.

I bought a lot lot lot of M1 0W-40 back when I was putting miles on my Audi. 5qt every 5000mi and a top up quart every 2.5k on the dot. Now I put a lot less miles on that car, and buy a variety of euro oils based on what's on sale.

Back