Your neighborhood grocery store

I feel lucky that my neighborhood grocery store is well-stocked with a good selection of high quality foods that the bigger supermarkets don't carry. For example, tonight I ought a freshly roasted Mary's chicken for dinner. Super juicy with crispy skin and spiced really well. This market is maybe half a mile from my house. How far do you have to go to find such a cheese selction?

The local chain retailer has a decent selection of cheese but nothing like our local supermarkets. The local ones may not have as much but they seem to have what the big chains near us don’t. Like my dad is a huge fan of Hoop Cheese and the local supermarket and small fruit stands and stuff have it but the chain retailer doesn’t so we go to the little one to for that particular cheese. I’m just the type I will eat it as long as it’s not blue cheese LOL. 🧀

Only 0.5 miles to our local downtown gourmet wine and cheese shop, with two other ones in the next town over. Living in the crowded north Jersey suburbs does have its comforts and conveniences.

Here King Soopers (Kroger's) has Murray's cheese inside. I also have a local cheese importers.

Hannaford Bros. has a 1/2 decent cheese selection. But Wife is off Dairy with her diet, so no nice Aged Scottish Cheddar or
Smoked Gouda lying around.

As an aside , but relating to cheese -
I find a Havarti is BETTER than you standard grocery store Mozzarella or Provolone for melting on
Burritos or that impromptu "Pita" Pizza or most finish baked Italian dishes. Its reall " stringy" too.
Quite a surprise I found out by " accident" in re-purposing some Italian salami sub cheese for my frozen to
microwave El Monterey beef and been burritos

An absolutely Fantastic melting cheese. I just used some cheap, pre-sliced packaged plain Havarti I got in the Walmart SuperStore Deli Meats section.

14 miles away is a "Nicolas Market". It's a small, 5 store chain generally supplied by Wakefern Foods. They have a glass walled cheese room and hired a real fromager (sp?). No pretense at all, just an incredible selection.

Yo, AutoMechanic, we must compare DNA someday as I too can't eat blue cheese. It all tastes like crayons to me. I've heard that's not uncommon. Similarly, there are people who feel mixed mint based spices like Herbs de Provence and "Italian Seasoning" taste like soap or perfume.

I too can't eat blue cheese. It all tastes like crayons to me. I've heard that's not uncommon.
I don't even remember what it tastes like, just that I don't like it...
if some one presses me as to why, I give this argument based on 2 facts:
The bacteria that makes Blue Cheese is a cousin of the one that makes Penicillin, which I'm allergic to. I don't want to chance it.

Family owned grocery store about 10 minutes from the house . Huge cheese selection , liquor , deli , even a Hibachi grill .

Similarly, there are people who feel mixed mint based spices like Herbs de Provence and "Italian Seasoning" taste like soap or perfume.
Neither of those two spice mixes has any mint in it. Italian dressing is an American invention and often contains lavender, hence the floral aroma. Many people consider the taste of cilantro to be soapy.

Neither of those two spice mixes has any mint in it. Italian dressing is an American invention and often contains lavender, hence the floral aroma. Many people consider the taste of cilantro to be soapy.
Cilantro 🌿 soapy? Lol 😂 my dad says it taste like stink bugs 🤣🤣🤣.

I don't even remember what it tastes like, just that I don't like it...
if some one presses me as to why, I give this argument based on 2 facts:
The bacteria that makes Blue Cheese is a cousin of the one that makes Penicillin, which I'm allergic to. I don't want to chance it.
I like blue cheese, especially the soft ones like Danish Blue. However, I don't like blue cheese crumbled over salad and I can't stand blue cheese salad dressing. That stuff is nasty.

Back