Your longest oci with Pennzoil platinum or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, i have an na 2.4L 2016 Mitsubishi outlander with 21k miles that's on Pennzoil platinum 0w-20, will switch to 0w-30 next time. I drive about 50 min highway, 15 min city combined a day, half in the morning and evening. It's about 50-70f this early Texas spring and in the winter it gets to no less than 35f, summers average at 90+. I let the engine idle for at least 5-10 sec in this mostly non humid warm weather to circulate oil properly. I drive it softly as well.

I change the oil yearly or every 6-8k since it's a year old by then and I'm wondering if I can go longer. I have an na engine in warm weather that I don't beat on so I thought I could go longer. I'd have the oil analyzed for the first time but I'm gonna have to wait 10 months before I can do so.

What have your max mileage and time intervals been on Pennzoil platinum or on a very similar oil like some Mobil 1 synthetic (there are too many synthetic Mobil 1 models I'm confused about them) I've heard of Europeans taking synthetic up to two years or 20k without issues and the conditions are usually worse there as compared to mine.

Personally, I don't go past a year regardless of mileage. I bet your owners manual says the same.

Why do you want to switch to 0w-30? I would go by what the manufacturer recommends. Do yourself a favor and don't go longer then the maintenance minder algorithm on your vehicle.

My dealer provided maintenance schedule is 3 months or 3,750 miles with full synthetic (only because my car has a 10yr 100k power train warranty) Way too conservative I'd be throwing away fresh oil, wasting time, money, and unnecessarily harming the environment.

Those miles are nothing for any quality synthetic. Easily handle being changed annually! Where do you plan to get PP 0W-30? That's a unicorn Euro grade, isn't it? I've done 8k OCI's on both PP and M1 oils.

My Walmart has 0w-30 pp in stock. I didn't think it was a euro grade. They do have Pennzoil platinum euro as well but it's basically platinum with just the extra cost of European certifications thrown on from what I understand.

Yes I agree 3,750 miles is wasting money for sure. Are you saying that if you don't change every 3,750 miles with full synthetic it voids the warranty?

My Walmart has 0w-30 pp in stock. I didn't think it was a euro grade. They do have Pennzoil platinum euro as well but it's basically platinum with just the extra cost of European certifications thrown on from what I understand.

Originally Posted by JavierH19

Really? I'm interested about this, I thought there was only the Euro version. Which I've yet to see anywhere.

You should be fine with the 0w-30. It sounds like you are going to change it yourself and should be good for lots of miles. I just wouldn't go over 1 year before changing the oil and filter. I take pride in my vehicles and 5 or 6 thousand miles is all I will go before changing oil but I have had good luck with my vehicles and have not had to add oil in anything.

Javier, I live in Cypress as well so we live pretty close to each other. My Outlander uses the 2.0L and has a oil life monitor that shows 7500 per OCI. It seem to count down based on miles driven only. I'll probably stick to that regimen although I typically change the oil in my dad's F150 at around 9K with Pennzoil Platinum and it is doing fine with around 220K miles on it. I am going to switch to 10w30 Pennzoil Platinum in the Outlander on the next oil change which will only be its 3rd (only have about 5K on the vehicle at this point).

I run 5000 miles or 5 months with any oil (and PP is next), because that's what Mazda recommends, and Mazda knows their engines better than any oil company does.

Last edited:
The 7500 mile reminder is not for an oil change reminder. It is a periodic inspection reminder. Two different things. It's in the owner's manual. Periodic inspection is a checklist performed at the dealer and emailed to you. It's called the Mitsubishi CVIR. I'm a former Kia and Mitsubishi dealer tech. You can go 5k on the oil changes, keep your receipts. I personally go 5k on my daily drivers.

E03CD923-7A9E-458D-8253-AFA6FA78B8ED.png

CzBrian. The international owners manual for the Mitsubishi 4b11 2.0 dohc. 4j11 2.0 sohc. 4b12 2.4 dohc. 4j12 2.4 sohc and 6b31 3.0 dohc for 2013 and newer state to use 0w-20 to 5w-40 so I'm going a step up. I talked to a Mitsubishi tech and he said the thin oil is only for miniscule fuel savings.

JavierH19
Based on your comments, you either have a Hyundai or KIA. The owners manual calls for 3,750 miles for severe conditions and 7,500 for normal conditions. Keep it simple and split the difference at 5,000 miles. I use a quality blend or synthetic in my KIA, whatever is the best value. I like Motorcraft 5W30 or Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30. Walmart is now carrying Chevron Havoline Pro DS in 6qt boxes at a very good price.

Toyota sienna van in Houston as well. at least 10K on 0w20PP in the V6.

No problem. Still feel a little guilty changing the oil that looks that good. I got raised on the old 1980s oil that came out like black ink when you drained it. not dark pancake syrup like this stuff comes out at 10K miles.

10K is easy for any SN rated synthetic.

I really like the Pennzoil Platinum in my truck, I seem to use less oil compared to other brands I've used, but the most I'm going is 5,000 miles. I have a direct injection engine with a timing chain, variable valve timing and cylinder shutoff through the hydraulic lifters...just seems like a lot to ask of an oil so I don't push it.

There is a rebate deal going on right now with the Pennzoil Platinum...$10 bucks off a 5 quart jug.

The most I've gone on Mobil 1 was 8,000 miles. Different car though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back