Your favorite??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this ahs been discussed to death, so please forgive me but a search did not come up with what I am looking for.........

It seems that the most favored dino oils on this forum are 1. Pennzoil with Purebase 2. Castrol GTX

I know, I know there are many other good oils..but is this correct? and why is this the case.........is there a poll somewhere that I can look up for favorite dino oils ??

Actually, I think Chevron Supreme is probably more popular than either of those two.

But honestly, any three of those choices would work very well in 3-4k intervals.

Schaeffer's, this is so far my favorite oil.The blend #701, since I switched over to the Schaeffer's I am getting better gas milage and the truck just seems alot smoother,and the price is not bad at all when ordered in bulk.Seems to be a very well formulated oil and always gets good UOA, sometimes better than most full synthetics.

quote:

Originally posted by cheeks:
Castrol 5W20 in my 2003 F150 Supercrew except for summer months.

Wow really? A 5w20 in a F150 truck?
shocked.gif
dunno.gif

I consider Pennzoil and Castrol to be pretty equal except for cold flow. I prefer Pennzoil just because they have better marketing practices than Castrol. Lately I've been buying Castrol though since Wal-Mart has some good values on the 5 quart jugs. For my Camaro which I race and my truck which I intend to keep forever I run Mobil 1 10w30. Everything else in the "fleet" gets Castrol unless Pennzoil is on sale too.

Actually, I have maybe 5-6 "favorites"...every time I read a new post it seems I go out and buy that oil...thus the shelves in my garage are a multi-colored spectacle that would draw comparisons to the shoe rack in Imelda Marcos' closet...thanks a lot guys, I'll put you in my will if there's anything left over after Mrs. Cheeks divorces because of all this...or sends me away in a white jumpsuit with long sleeves
wink.gif

Ditto on the oil filters...bought a half dozen Bosch Premiums due a a few posts on this board, then threw them away after the bypass valve issue posts cause I didn't save the receipt...hell, my neighbor doesn't have to buy oil come to think of it, just come over when he needs a change and ask me if he can have what I'm not using
smile.gif

Right now my faves:

Chevron Delo 400 if I could find it in 10w30 for my 1999 Chevy Suburban..they make it but hard to find...unless someone can convince me it's ok to run 15w40 in my 5.7 liter V8 where the owners manual says "do not use any oil not specified"..than meaning 5w30 or 10w30.

Castrol 5W20 in my 2003 F150 Supercrew except for summer months.

quote:

Wow really? A 5w20 in a F150 truck?

Yep, hard to believe. Frankly I wouldn't run it either except for the good 5W20 Used Oil Analysis I've seen on this board. Even though the Castrol, Motorcraft and Pennzoil 5w20's have received some positive remarks on here, I still don't have enough evidence or comfort level to run it in the hot Texas summer. Just changed it to Mobil 1 5w30, but I don't have a problem running the 5w20 from November thru March.

If running Dino oil, is it bad, good, indifferent to change between brands over the life of an engine? I've read that you should stick with a brand if possible. Different bases, additives, etc, I suppose.

(I'm referring to frequent 3k changes on dino)

comments?

quote:

Originally posted by AdamIsAdam:
If running Dino oil, is it bad, good, indifferent to change between brands over the life of an engine? I've read that you should stick with a brand if possible. Different bases, additives, etc, I suppose.

(I'm referring to frequent 3k changes on dino)

comments?

You'll get better results if you stick with the same oil, as you won't get any additive clashing, so the TBN will remain more stable than it would if you switched brands constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back