Your Experience on Ford AOD ATF for smooth shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
The final item on my "should fix" was the "hard shifting" on the AOD transmission on my 90 F150. I got the truck 2 years ago, at 63K miles, put 7K miles on it so far. I replaced the transmission filters and fluids (Synthetic Type F, do not remember the brand.)

Took the transmission to the local, and best rep transmission-only shop and mentally prepared myself for $1000 in repairs. He checked all the usual culprits, found nothing wrong, in great shape, and we went on a 25 minute town and highway trip where I recreated everything I ever worried about. At the shop, he shook my hand and said that that is how AODs shift. Given that in this recession he passed up a quick payday, I am inclined to believe him.

Then,,,,I remembered some ancient threat about "smoothing out" AODs with a specific ATF grad or spec. I cannot find it via the search.

Q. IN YOUR EXPERIENCE, What is the best grade/type/spec of ATF for the older Ford AOD transmissions? specifically for smoother shifts.

thanks! in advance!

Question: Are you sure the spec calls for Type "F" fluid in this tranny? I was under the impression Ford had changed to Mercon by 1990.The dynamic friction between Mercon and type "F" are quite different. FWIW

The AOD does not spec Type F. Only the old C4/C6 do.

The AOD calls for Mercon. I've had good results with M1 ATF.

I've used M1 ATF for as long as Mobil has made M1 synthetic ATF and it has always worked well for me. I change it in my Merc
every two years, aprox 45,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back