Your Expectations Of New GF-6 Oils ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides perhaps increased LSPI Timing Chain protection - what else are your expectations of the new GF-6 oils that will be coming out later this year ?

I would like to believe that oil becomes more stout therefore it will perform better for longer. What I mean is that we will be able to run the OLM for 10k on conventional-semi synthetic without worrying about sludge.

Originally Posted by Rand
since most syn oils already meet it.... little change.

+1

what else are your expectations of the new GF-6 oils that will be coming out later this year ?

Regardless of the performance improvements, the same cast of people will be hung up on base oils....

I'm more excited about the coming GF-5 rebates...
grin2.gif

My expectations are that it meets the spec. I;m not a Chemist nor a Tribologist. Can't give an expectation without education and experience.

There are several intellectuals on this board that can certainly answer the question. But, I would need to read published research (probably non-attribution) with multiple opinions with multiple PHD's.

I would think the engineers who build engines presented expectations to formulators. Hence the specifications.

We shall see....

Originally Posted by Onetor
My expectations are that it meets the spec. I;m not a Chemist nor a Tribologist. Can't give an expectation without education and experience.

There are several intellectuals on this board that can certainly answer the question. But, I would need to read published research (probably non-attribution) with multiple opinions with multiple PHD's.

I would think the engineers who build engines presented expectations to formulators. Hence the specifications.

We shall see....

There are product engineers that will not present "meeting specs' to their boss. That quality oil brand boss wants his engineer to exceed the specs.

It makes the difference between working for Pennzoil (example), or a company that bottles house / store brand-name oils.

Somehow I find it hard to believe that "SN+" is not already meeting GF-6 specs.

Whatever those specs may be.

Originally Posted by dkryan

"SP" will meet GF-6.

Originally Posted by BLND1

"SP" will meet GF-6.

Correct. There are a host of new tests (6 total) and limits in GF-6 that the current crop of API SN rated lubes aren't subject to like the aeration test. The link below lists them.

If you're already using a D1G2 lube you probably won't notice a difference because of the similarities in D1G2 and GF-6... but I suspect with the rollout of GF-6 right around the corner, every blender knows by now if their GF-5/SN lube needs to be tweaked to be labeled GF-6.

ILSAC GF-6

Last edited:

You can be sure SP has been tested, prior to adding it to jug labels. So yes, it's probably already in SN Plus jugs and has been for a while.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

You can be sure SP has been tested, prior to adding it to jug labels. So yes, it's probably already in SN Plus jugs and has been for a while.

That's possible. They can't officially label GF-6 yet but I suspect there could be some GF-6 level lube out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back