your accident avoidance personal record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOGers,

With all the cuckoo-heads on the roads, how many accidents you had to avoid in one drive/one day?

my personal record: 4 last Thursday (2 with phone glued to ear, while moving into my lane)

I have driven 1.5 million kilometers since I got my license because my job requires extensive travel. I see bad driving on a regular basis and I usually having to avoid being hit at least weekly. I always have an "exit strategy" and have forward/rear facing dash cams in case an accident does happen and I need to prove it wasn't me.

So far I have been able to avoid all accidents on numerous occasions and the only one I was involved in was where traffic came to a stand still and I braked short of hitting the guy in front of me until the car behind me didn't stop and pushed me into the next guy at 80km/hr and when our Cabriolet was T-boned by a speeding driver. Both times there was nothing I could do but watch it happen. I'm still having issues with whiplash to this day because of the Cabriolet accident.
mad.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Hi BITOGers,

With all the cuckoo-heads on the roads, how many accidents you had to avoid in one drive/one day?

my personal record: 4 last Thursday (2 with phone glued to ear, while moving into my lane)

This isn't something that I normally keep track of, but it does remind me of a Saturday adventure about a month ago.

I don't like driving around town on Saturdays, especially during the afternoons. There's just way too much traffic and stupid people on the road. So my wife and I usually get up early, get our errands run before everyone else is up and about, and then spend the rest of our day doing whatever.

Well, about a month ago, my wife decided that she really wanted to go to a movie in the middle of the afternoon one Saturday. I didn't want to go necessarily, but she was really set on going so I relented. As I was backing out of our parking spot at our apartment complex, a guy came flying around the corner and nearly hit us. He was going so fast that my cross-traffic detection didn't even sound off until he was already passed. I finished backing out after that and made my way to the exit when a lady, who was on her phone, turned the corner and came into my lane. I slowed to a stop as she was getting really close and had to honk my horn at her before she plowed straight into us. She looked up real quick and I could see her swear (I'm going to guess rather loudly) and swerved out of the way. All that happened within 50 feet of my doorstep. I turned around and went home and told my wife that no movie was worth driving around with these shining examples of intelligent society and potentially getting our new car in an accident.

I'd say 4 is also my personal record as far as CLOSE calls back when I was commuting into the city. All 4 of them involved distracted drivers.

I have a dash cam now.

The scary thing more recently is how many "professional" drivers I've seen pull some ridiculous stunts. Like dump trucks and tractor trailers running red lights LONG after they have turned red.

Don't really keep track, but I get I average about 3-4 per week, and usually around parking lots.

One is enough for me. I was at a stop light late at night in the rain. On the left, there is a blind curve and on the right it's straight. The speed limit is 45mph. The light for me turned green. I felt a fuzzy pressure on the left side of my face and hesitated. A car came through the intersection against the red light traveling at freeway speed and sliding on the wet pavement. I paused a moment longer after that and went on my way. If I would have just pulled out right away that Chevy Caprice might have killed me.

Now I have a better understanding why some people pause just a moment when the light for them turns green and I don't mind a bit anymore. If there appears to be a potential problem and it's not clear, I also pause for just a moment.

The old but true joke is that I could have been seriously killed or mortally injured.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Don't really keep track, but I get I average about 3-4 per week, and usually around parking lots.

At a school where I once taught, I was told to be sure to park in the faculty/staff parking lot. Why? Well, cars get hit less often in the faculty/staff lot than in the student lot.

There is an entrance to a parking lot on the way to my work. Seems like people do not realize that not every car will be pulling into that parking lot. Some continue past it to other destinations. There is a crash a day there and I have had many near misses there because someone made a left turn thinking I was going to me pulling in instead of going by.

Also. Whenever I deliver Trusses I take some sort or accident avoidance. every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back