young woman running her car dry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys A female relative of mine has a 1999 hyundai elantra the car has 2200000km just randomly decided to check the oil. The level was so low that it didn't register on the dipstick . It took 2.5l of oil to register full at the time I only had 1l of she'll helix 10-40 semi synth and the rest was made up with mobil 2 left over as waste oil from previous oci.
Now what should I do she doesn't check the oil or top it off would a thicker oil like 20-50 slow consumption .
Cliffs:
Old car consumes oil
Young girl wouldn't top it off
Should I bump up a grade to slow consumption.
Australia we use thick oil

Last edited:
Lots of cliffs...

So, would running out of oil, thereby destroying the engine, be the only way that she learns the value of maintaining her car?

You keep doing it for her, she will not learn that lesson....

Those cars do use some oil. Nothing earth shaking but maybe 1qt 2500 miles is quite normal

on another note whens the last time the timing belt was done?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I think you have too many zeros there...
He should have let the 'young female' help him write the post.

Originally Posted By: Testoprop
Timing belt was done recently car consumes 1 quart per tank of petrol

Sounds like she needs to make adding a quart when getting gas a normal thing.

Originally Posted By: Testoprop
Hey bro learning disabled was trying my best
Your post was fine, it was a joke about stereotyping "young girls". That is a true stereotype a lot of the time. Its just that I've seen a lot of grown men do the same thing.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I think you have too many zeros there...

very likely that's the case, but not impossible...
2,200,000 km is about 1,370,000 mi
to cover that distance in 15 years they car would have to have been driven 146666.66km/year (91134.44mi/yr),
or 401.82km (249.68mi) every day for the last 15 years.
and depending how far out in the bush one lives, that could be possible. stupid, but possible.

2.5L shouldn't be "dry". It may not be full on the dipstick, but I don't think it's empty.

Friend of mine had an early 00s Hyundai. I have to say, 140K miles and it was just worn out ... but 140K miles on extremely little maintenance is pretty good.

I'm sure if he hadn't gone 40K without changing the oil, changed the transmission fluid and spin on filter (wish I had one of those!!!) and washed it underneath once in a while - it would still be on the road!

But yes, he would run it until the oil pressure light came on, dump in a few quarts of whatever said "motor oil" (not exactly mechanically inclined ...) and drive on.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Teach here how to add oil and check it! Otherwise you're going to be riding around with her forever if it consumes that much oil...

Show her how to check and Add oil.
Tell her the consequences if the car runs dry.

Let do as she pleases. (never mention oil to her again, unless she asks)

WHAT!steam clean the engine,under car,transmission diff,transaxle and all thats underneat?sacrilege!!there is a lot of value there .sweat ,blood ,grease,oil,coolant,windshield washer,goods that people paid with their hard earned cash!(rofl)

I took a look at my sister's Highlander one time since the oil pressure light was "mysteriously" coming on when she stopped. I think it ended up having around 1 whole quart of oil in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back