You thought YOU over do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well just a little while ago I am getting 10 Gallons of water for the house (filtered), and I run across a man with a 1993 Nissan PU, he left it running while we waited our turns.
I comment him on how smooth and nice it sounds,
and we talk more, he told me all the things replaced (a lot) for 157K miles. Naturally we talk lube... Get this: he says he learned long time ago to not let the lube get dirty... great, we talk more
And come to find out, He changes his lubes once a MONTH, yes on 15K a year, this man changes his Oil and ATF (original) every month. Every month I ask why... because he doesn't want to have dirty flids and he plans on keeping the truck til it dies.
I'd be
fruit.gif
if I ran across some vehicle like that... that's the kind of car I'm looking for! Anyone got one for sale - C H E A P !

there was a guy on here that had a SHO..young dude too..said he changes his own once a month. sounds extreme to the 3k oil changers?
lol.gif

What can you do? it's a free country. I know fools who change their expensive synthetic oil every 3k.
twak.gif
I do 3k too but it's with cheapie oil

its not much different in price than some people here who ditch the synthetic after 5K and do an oil analisis amlost every time.

i wonder if some of these people spend so much on oil and alanisis, that they could of just bought a new engine already......

I was talking to a friend at work a couple of years ago about cars and oil came up in conversation. He drove a Dodge Dakota V6 and changed Mobil1 every 2,500 miles! I politely suggested that M1 was good for at least 5K but he was convinced in his routine and so I just dropped it. It's his money.

I've come across a few people on the Corvette and F-body message boards who change their synthetic oil every 1000 to 2000 miles!

I remember one guy on a different forum who had heavily worked Chev 350 and he changed the oil every 100ks!!!!!!! Noone could convince him otherwise.

With the ca$h that this guy spends on fluid replacements he could probably aford a new truck. In the old days, when I didn't know didly squat about motor oils/fluids I changed my oil religiously every 3k miles
frown.gif
but now I know better and I don't waste my money on "clean-looking fluids."

I've heard so many people call it "cheap insurance" to change their Mobil 1 every 2,500-3,000 miles. I used to try to talk to them, but now I've given up.

Back in the 70's I used to buy 5 gallon cans of "Caker State" and changed my oil every 2K!

That darned '73 Chevy 350 started using oil at 80,000 miles, valve guides, I think, then the rear main started leaking. Go figure. It was a gas hog, so I repowered it with a 2 bbl 327, I got out of a '67 Camaro. Still got the same lousy mileage after the engine swap.
dunno.gif

There are some non syn oil whose TBN is shot after 2500 miles.

There are a UOA's on here somwhere.

As for syn, I do all short trip city driving (with the exception of the 10 minutes at 95mph of weekneds to remove water and fuel contamination from oil), I change every 3000-3500 miles (on all hiway driving ,like an across coutry trip I have gone to 7000 miles on M1)

Am I a fool?
I dont think so, at that point the oil is beginning to look pretty dirty and the process is so cheap.

Also time and again I have seen the insides of long OCI, negleted engines all sludged up.

That will not happen to my VH45de.

Fred...
fruit.gif

[ December 31, 2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

quote:

Originally posted by Scott P:
I've heard so many people call it "cheap insurance" to change their Mobil 1 every 2,500-3,000 miles. I used to try to talk to them, but now I've given up.

Sooner or later many people do learn though. I have admitted on here many times that when I was 18 and got my first new car, a 1988 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo, I used to change the oil every 1800 miles! (3000km) And I drove 1000km per week, so it was every three weeks! I used Castrol XLR 10w30 (dino oil) and a Fram oil filter
shocked.gif

I have a freind that changes his own oil every 3000 miles, he changes it twice every time! Drains the old oil, changes the filter, fills the engine, takes a drive enought to warm the oil, then comes back and canges it again but dosn`t change the filter the second time! uses nothing but Penzoil! told him that it is a waist, but he has his mind made up!

Hasbeen

Let me get this straight...he changes the oil twice to get rid of any "cooties" left over from the first change, but then leaves the filter on for the second drain?
twak.gif

My general rule has always been "If you're going to be insane, at least be consistent".

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
Let me get this straight...he changes the oil twice to get rid of any "cooties" left over from the first change, but then leaves the filter on for the second drain?
twak.gif

My general rule has always been "If you're going to be insane, at least be consistent".

I use to change it several times on the weekend Just because.
I use to change oil almost like I do underwear (everyday) and more than some people (change underwear - I can't see how anyone can use the other side!)... But I had a reason, I put a whole lotta miles per day and had a bad timing chain, and when I got the truck the oil came out like BLACK... anyhow I just would like to find one of these beasts when a good owner is ready to part with them.

Cryptokid,
i wonder if some of these people spend so much on oil and alanisis, that they could of just bought a new engine already......
I spend more on GAS than I ever would on oil, in fact I could have already bought my truck new over about 2.25 times just in fuel costs, On top of the gas, my maintenance has been about the same.. well maybe a little lower. People don't realize the actual costs of their cars. IMO, oil is CHEAP, if you select a good one, the engine is the last thing you have to worry about.

How about this guy, changes oil every 3000 miles. Goes to Wallmart and buys oil and filter, long sleeve flanel shirt and pair on jeans. Puts on newly purchased clothes, changes oil and filter. After he is done throws away the new clothes instead of washing them. What ever works

quote:

Originally posted by pepper32:
How about this guy, changes oil every 3000 miles. Goes to Wallmart and buys oil and filter, long sleeve flanel shirt and pair on jeans. Puts on newly purchased clothes, changes oil and filter. After he is done throws away the new clothes instead of washing them. What ever works

He needs to learn how to change his oil better then...I can do my Grand Prix without hardly getting my hands dirty! (Of course havign a shop with a nice hoist and extendable drain pan helps tremendously in the cleanliness department, but even when I was changing it on the floor of the garage, I didn't get that dirty.)

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:

quote:

He needs to learn how to change his oil better then...I can do my Grand Prix without hardly getting my hands dirty! (Of course havign a shop with a nice hoist and extendable drain pan helps tremendously in the cleanliness department, but even when I was changing it on the floor of the garage, I didn't get that dirty.)

Lay a beach towel down and use a pair of latex gloves, and you'll be able to do it in a tuxedo without getting dirty...

quote:

That's just ridiculous...why doesn't he just spend the money to have the dealer change the oil?
rolleyes.gif
I have an uncle who's wife went out of town for a month several years ago...he ended up throwing away most of his clothes and buying new because he couldn't figure out how to use the washing machine.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back