you think this guy is right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is what a guy posted over in this one site I goto. I think he is full of BULL> but what do I know. let you all let me know .

quote:

Don't know if anyone has said this yet, but:

Synthetic oils are fine for ALL vehicles, but if yuo are running a high mileage engine and want to switch to synthetic, pull the pan, and clean out the sludge first. Synthetic oils have about 5x the amount of detergents in them, so sludge will be broken up, and can get stuck in oil galleys or pumps or filters. Also, as far as leaks go, OLD engines (pre-1987 for most mopar engines) did not have a synthetic gasket set in them so stay away from high detergent synthetics (Mobil 1 is about the worst for old engines, but the best for newer engines).

The problem from switching oils IS NOT going from Conv--->Syn it is the other way around. When you run synthetic, your gaskets will expend beyond their original size and stay that way, if you switch back to conventional, they will begin to shrink, and eventually become about 1/2 as large as original spec. If you have ever seen a newer vehicle with low miles burn oil, this is usually why.

Also, thos oil additives you often see to stop oil burning are synthetic conditioners which only increase seal and gaskets sizes, if you then change your oil and don't run synthetic or the additive again, you can only expect another 20-30k miles out of those gaskets and seals.

All of this information was given to me by one of the lead engineers from Mobil Oil who told me he has never changed the synthetic oil in his 1998 Dodge Ram Beater, he simply filters the oil (his own process), and changes the filter every 5K miles. Synthetic oil gets dirty, but it never breaks down.

so what do you all think. right? some what right? or dont know what he is talking about?

I am more the train of thought that says if your engine is high miles(IMO that means over 100K NOT the 75K we always hear about), and its been run on dino all these years, keep running it like that. Obviously it liked that if it lasted this long. I cant see using synthetics outside of a few conditions,

Extreme temps(hi or low)
Desire for a longer OCI
Or if you will be putting alot of stress on the motor.

People may disagree with me but I think most vehicles would do just fine as long as they GET an oil change. I know plenty of folks that I ask em when they last changed their oil and they look at me like.."huh?". Nothing as scary as my neighbors car, a little old toyota....that things must have had 10K on the 10w30 she was running in it. It poured out like a thick creamer.

This guy wins the condensed misinformation award! He was able to stuff all that oil mis-info into only 4 paragraphs. This guy is talented! How did he do that?
smile.gif

I'm trying to be nice to the guy.
smile.gif

Synthetics *can* free up sludge that dino oils had left behind. Hence the syn-causes-leaks idea. I doubt the detergent levels are 5x higher though.

And I'd like to know how that Mobil engineer replenishes the additives in his filtered oil. I can conceive of filtering out the nasties, but the good stuff needs to get added back in.

quote:

Synthetic oils have about 5x the amount of detergents in them,

B.S, Synthetic often have almost the same or slightly(10%) more detergents in them.

quote:

Also, as far as leaks go, OLD engines (pre-1987 for most mopar engines) did not have a synthetic gasket set in them so stay away from high detergent synthetics

No such thing as "synthetic gasket sets", modern synthetic oil is compatible with all gasket materials.

quote:

When you run synthetic, your gaskets will expend beyond their original size and stay that way, if you switch back to conventional, they will begin to shrink, and eventually become about 1/2 as large as original spec.

B.S. no gasket will expand or shrink that much, modern synthetics are pretty neutral to gaskets.

quote:

Synthetic oil gets dirty, but it never breaks down.

Additives get depleted, Sythetic oil can still contain VIIs and shear ect.

I think his "mobil 1 engineer" was a guy from the loading dock.

lol.gif

Whoooo dogie, quite an imagination that feller has!
lol.gif

But seriously, I switched a Dodge 5.2 Magnum with 115k on the clock to M1T&SUV back in January and it loves it. Here we are six months later, no leaks, no loose sludge-induced catastrophic failure.

Just curious, what forum this cretin is haunting? I wouldn't mind having a look see and find out what other laughs may be had!
twak.gif

I agree with nothing!

Well, his story of the engineer could be true. With a little consumption, the right driving conditions, and the filter changes, the oil might hold up enough to keep the engine alive.

quote:

When you run synthetic, your gaskets will expend beyond their original size and stay that way, if you switch back to conventional, they will begin to shrink, and eventually become about 1/2 as large as original spec. If you have ever seen a newer vehicle with low miles burn oil, this is usually why.

Would those be the piston ring gaskets?

quote:

Originally posted by acewiza:
Whoooo dogie, quite an imagination that feller has!
lol.gif

But seriously, I switched a Dodge 5.2 Magnum with 115k on the clock to M1T&SUV back in January and it loves it. Here we are six months later, no leaks, no loose sludge-induced catastrophic failure.

Just curious, what forum this cretin is haunting? I wouldn't mind having a look see and find out what other laughs may be had!
twak.gif

I would tell you but I dont want a flame war to start on that other site. but if you have a dakota. yo umight goto that site. its one of the more popular dakota sites. there thats all I will say on the site
lol.gif

I can see people doing a google search right now. I already let him know that he was way off base. well heck he was out the ball park. just thought you all would get a kick out of that. when reading it. i was like. *** I cant believe he is saying all that. but I guess beings it wasnt an oil fourm. he thought he was safe lol.

If an engine run on dino oil is dirty and the syn oil cleans off the dirt, then the filter should pick up the dirt, so changing the filter (and the oil) until the dirt is out of the oil will solve the problem. And you can't say both that the syn oil cleans off the dirt and the dirt accumulates on parts of the engine. If the syn oil cleans of the dirt in the first place, the syn oil will then continue to keep the engine clean.

My understanding is that before syn oils became popular SOME gasket materials were not compatible with syn oil, so if you have an older vehicle it might have such a gasket and you might have a problem. But for quite a few years all vehicles have gaskets that are compatible with syn oil.

Why is that someone always paraphrases an "ex oil engineer", "given to me by one of the lead engineers from Mobil Oil", "an engine designer"?.....somehow these always set my ** meter at full boogie tilt.

Hard to believe there are still people out there that don't know JACK about what they are talking about.

ok here is what he replied.

quote:

Ok, believe what you want... Sludge IS common in most engines, and its not just from coolant leaks, PCV Problems, and poor maintenance. Ever heard of the 2.7L V-6 Problem with Chrysler? You have your foot in your mouth there.

Your right that High Mileage oils will swell your gaskets, but that is only more-so than a synthetic. Now if your already running synthetic approved gaskets your fine, but then why would you run conventional anyways?

I did in fact talk to a MOBIL Engineer, not Mobil 1, thats a specific type, not a brand ********. And this is all of the information he gave to me, and my co-workers. I personally know that all Synthetic oils will swell seals and gaskets, but like I said, Mobil 1 is the most harsh. I delt with all different types of lubricants as a material science engineer here at Dana. to shoot down your uber-knowledgeable info there Einstein.

I gave him the linkto this site and told him to come on in
biggthumbcoffe.gif

told him to brina flame proof suit
128.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back