You know you live in Southern California if

Status
Not open for further replies.
* Your co-worker tells you he/she has 8 body piercings...and none are visible.

* You make over $250,000 and still can't afford a house.

* Your child's 3rd grade teacher has purple hair, a nose ring, and is named Breeze.

* You can't remember ... is pot illegal?

* You've been to more than one baby shower that has two mothers and a sperm donor.

* A really great parking space can move you to tears.

* A low-speed police pursuit will interrupt ANY TV broadcast.

* You assume every company offers domestic partner benefits, a fab exercise facility, and tofu takeout.

* You're thinking of taking an adult class but you can't decide between aromatherapy and conversational Mandarin.

* Your best friends just named their twins after her acting coach and his personal trainer.

* It's sprinkling and there's a report on every news station about "STORM WATCH '99."

* The three-hour traffic jam you just sat through wasn't caused by a horrific 9 car pile-up, but by everyone slowing to rubberneck at a lost shoe laying on the shoulder.

quote:

Originally posted by Dan4510:

* It's sprinkling and there's a report on every news station about "STORM WATCH '99."

That must be a really old list
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Huhwhye:

quote:

Originally posted by Dan4510:

That must be a really old list
lol.gif

But so true. My wife is from L.A and everytime we visit, her dad warns us to be careful out in the rain - when it is barely even drizzling.

If it doesn't rain much or at all for weeks or months, the roads accumulate much more slippery stuff that takes a while to wash off after it starts raining. Therefore the roads in many parts of California are much more slippery when it first rains, or when it's only a short sprinkle that doesn't clean the road. Out-of-staters often sail right into accidents even more than the locals. If you think it's funny that people slow down, you don't realize that they often don't slow down enough and that they usually still don't keep enough distance to the car in front.

quote:

Actually, the locals were driving faster that we were

My observation was of course a gross generalization!

quote:

her parents cars have this wierd coating on the windshield that smears everytime it rains

Poor windshield and wiper hygiene, eh?
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
If you think it's funny that people slow down, you don't realize that they often don't slow down enough and that they usually still don't keep enough distance to the car in front.

Actually, the locals were driving faster that we were - we were making the 2 hr drive from my brother-in-law's place to my wife's parent's in a drizzle, and a lot of the traffic on the freeway was still going ~75-80 and here we were doing about 60 because her parents cars have this wierd coating on the windshield that smears everytime it rains, getting passed by everyone.

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
All I can say is ... YUP. Having moved from Iowa to California early last year... lol Funny to see everyone slow down on the freeway when it starts to drizzle.

It's even funnier when they don't slow down.
grin.gif

you forgot:

* you know what a negative amortization loan is
* you ride the bus and are shocked to hear a conversation in English
* The Gym is packed at 3PM on a workday
* Your hairdresser is straight, your plumber is gay, the woman who delivers your mail is into BDSM, and your Mary Kay rep is a guy in drag.
* You go shopping for clothes with your dog and for your dog.
* A man gets on the bus in full leather regalia and crotchless chaps. You don't even notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back