You guys were right xw30/40 over xw20/30 in D.I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Took the Sonata for the first free dealership oil change (I emptied FF at 1500 miles and used M1 5w20). Because I was getting this done, I brought my own oil. I stopped at WM prior and picked up Synblend 5w20 for this, the Sonata and EDGE 5w30 for the wife's Santa Fe Turbo. Well, when I showed the tech, he strongly recommended I use the 30 weight in the Sonata and advised me to go with a Xw40 in the turbo. I showed him where my manual makes no such recommendation for the turbo and he showed me their Tech Service book allowing for the Xw40 in the 2.0T (I didnt tell him I'd used it in the past). I asked why the recommendation and he said although dilution is normal, the less of it while staying within weight limitations, the better. They used the 30 weight and BOY, what a difference in engine sound. A lot smoother.

Merk'.........you were right.

Last edited:
shoulda got the supertech!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
shoulda got the supertech!
smile.gif

Lol... I know, thats his new horse.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
You change your oil a lot how many miles do you put on a week ?

Right now my work commute is back to normal. When I got the Sonata, it was 400 miles a week (9 wks). I'm switching from 3000 mile oci on the turbo, to 5k miles (wife drives it now). The Sonata will now be every 7500 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: wemay
Merk'.........you were right.

He might have been, but he's still using an ILSAC rated 10w-30, which is terribly thin.
wink.gif

10W-30 = H2o
28.gif
Lol

Op just said the walmart tech said xw30 and xw40 for respective car !it doesn't look like it Mather much if its a 0w,a 5w or a 15w,of course first number will vary if you live in the desert 15w might be your thing but if you live in Winnipeg Manitoba!?you will need a 0w and some prayer when peak of winter is online.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Op just said the walmart tech said xw30 and xw40 for respective car !it doesn't look like it Mather much if its a 0w,a 5w or a 15w,of course first number will vary if you live in the desert 15w might be your thing but if you live in Winnipeg Manitoba!?you will need a 0w and some prayer when peak of winter is online.

Hey yvon_la, not Walmart tech, it was the Hyundai's Tech.

Oh!now i am baffled!my gf own a 2013 hyundai accent!it is so noisy (the valve )im sure engine will need replacing soon!it is my belief that the oil being washed in ethanol and she does only short trip so water is created via condensation wich the ethanol rich oil and gas happily eat ,then as you can imagine water powered motor has never been the brightess idea but now fully cleaned with ethanoil gas and ethanol oil then waterised engine innard?yep ! Perfect storm

Right or wrong, I've gone from Dexos QSUD 5W-30 to M1 0W-40 in my wifes 2.0 ecotec 2011 Turbo Regal. Seems like these DI turbo engines are really hard on oil, and M1 0W-40 seemed to have the best specs at this ~$22-$26 / 5 qt price point.

My only hold-up is that there isnt a 0W-40 that has the API certification seal and 5W-40's arent sold at WM other than T6 that doesnt have the starburst seal either.

I decided on EDGE SPT 5W-30 - 2.4 // EDGE FST 5W-30 - 2.0T

My only hold-up is that there isnt a 0W-40 that has the API certification seal and 5W-40's arent sold at WM other than T6 that doesnt have the starburst seal either.

Solid choices, my mom's 2011 Sonata DI 2.4 is running on QSUD 5W-30, it rums much quieter than it did on PP 5W-20. As for my car I'm still on PUE 5W-40, after 2800 miles it still has the same color it did when I poured it in. I remember PU 5W-30 would turn darker after 1500 miles. I know color isn't important but it's something I've noticed.

I'll be sending out the PUE sample for analysis sometime next month, then I'll try some M1 0W-40 that I got at Wally World for 22 bucks on sale.

There are no Xw-40 oils that carry an API starburst that I'm aware of. They're too thick to be energy conserving. I think we've talked about this before.

I'm switching the Kia's over to 5w-30 as well. I had them on 5w-20. The 2.4GDI is very loud and I've run primarily QSUD 5w-20. Their new dose will be Trop Artic Syn Blend 5w30. Not sure if the 5w30 will make a difference on the noise it makes or if I'll even be able to tell.

Originally Posted By: Swift101

Solid choices, my mom's 2011 Sonata DI 2.4 is running on QSUD 5W-30, it rums much quieter than it did on PP 5W-20. As for my car I'm still on PUE 5W-40, after 2800 miles it still has the same color it did when I poured it in. I remember PU 5W-30 would turn darker after 1500 miles. I know color isn't important but it's something I've noticed.

I'll be sending out the PUE sample for analysis sometime next month, then I'll try some M1 0W-40 that I got at Wally World for 22 bucks on sale.

I have no doubt your UOA will be very impressive after running PUE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

There are no Xw-40 oils that carry an API starburst that I'm aware of. They're too thick to be energy conserving. I think we've talked about this before.

Yes, we surely have. My intention wasnt to rehash. Didnt mean for it to come across that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back