You gotta love car forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Grand Prix forum I frequent, I found this post about running without an air filter:

quote:

Well a few of my friends who have 4" FWI's have ben running without an air filter for almost a year now, they don't even have the tb screen in, I just did the same thing also with no filter, but I left the tb screen.

The blower absolutly screams, it would make baby ***** cry, but I am wondering, realisticly, how bad what we are doing is. There is nothing that gets in the fenderwell, the only problem any of us have had was Jeremy got some pollen on his MAF, so he cleaned it, and 4 months later still no problems.

It seems to me, that given that nothing really gets in the fenderwell, and at least in my case the tb screen will keep out anything obviously big, a good oil filter and maybe changing the oil a bit more often should be more then enough.

Thoughts?

I don't like the elevated silicone numbers from my K&N filter. I can't imagine just running without one. Anyone want to line up to buy one of these cars?

quote:

I wonder how many cars out there are completely missing the air filter due to quicky-lubes not replacing them..

I'll bet not too many, since the quicky-lube places always try to sell you a new one; and never mind the fact that the completely filthy one they usually show you to convince you that you need a new one isn't actually from your car...

I'm guessing after a year or so the seals on the blower rotors will be shredded to smithereens. I've seen a number of people run turbocharged 4 bangers with no filters and the fins on the compressor get all torn to ****.

I responded to that thread also, to me it's common sense. The only time the air filter is off is when the throttle body needs to be cleaned.

i'm sure the extra noise from no filter is gaining tons of HP. and then when their engine starts to get sandblasted and makes more noise --> even more HP! win win situation

I knew a lot less about cars when I was younger, but I knew enough to know that filters were a good thing.

Yep some of those GP guys are idiots when it comes to engines. Maybe they think that air filters are a conspiracy by the oil companies to worsen your gas mileage.

I was told on that board once that dirt that gets into the engine "just goes right through".

-T

Reckon when they were young-uns and they were eatin' sand out in the yard their mama said ingesting a little dirt never did no one no harm, only cleans out the system....

If it makes them happy and they've got the money I guess it's ok. I bet it makes the parts guy happy.

offtopic.gif
Years ago I had a friend who worked at the John Deere Plant in Ia. They received a call from some middle east clients whose Heavy equip was failing and seizng up in the desert. After going over to dissiminate the problem...They discovered that these engines had no air filters on them.. when asked why they said that they kept clogging up from all the sand so they just left them off.
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
offtopic.gif
Years ago I had a friend who worked at the John Deere Plant in Ia. They received a call from some middle east clients whose Heavy equip was failing and seizng up in the desert. After going over to dissiminate the problem...They discovered that these engines had no air filters on them.. when asked why they said that they kept clogging up from all the sand so they just left them off.
pat.gif

No brains, no headaches (as a good friend of mine would say). That's unreal. What a bunch of dopes.
twak.gif
banghead.gif

Many engines with carbureators caught fire and burned from this practice. Very unsafe if their is a backfire. The filter is primarily to filter, but not the only reason!! I think my newer GM car with FI even has this warning label inside.

If a vehicle burns down, insurance investigators know to look for this kind of modification and problems with claims could happen.

Plus, a person that's going to take their filter of a Grand Prix probably has already built an intake system with a HUGE cotton gauze filter. One that would probably supply enough air volume to a semi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back