You go girls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by billt460
How many women ran out of the kitchen, or quit their job at the mall to become welders after watching, "Flashdance"?

OK, funniest line I've seen on BITOG in a long time
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by wings&wheels

No.

What I am saying is that for whatever reason(s), women in the US do not enter the STEM fields at the same rate as men nor at the same rate as in some other countries and it has nothing to do with capability. Because of this, we have folks who could have been capable engineers, developers, mathematicians, etc. who never even start to pursue the studies. Essentially, our STEM professionals are being selected from a smaller overall population than it could be.

Ok, that makes more sense. However, I'm not exactly sure how you got to the conclusion that we have a smaller population. It's not like engineering classrooms are sitting half empty because of lack of interest from women. They instead seem to be more interested in humanitarian types of careers. Just walk into any nursing clinic or human resources and see how many men you see.
I would agree that there could be a void if these women and men decided to do absolutely nothing, but they just pursue what naturally interests them, so I don't see where the void would be as far as talent is concerned.

From a diversity point of view, I could see an argument there, but diversity alone only take you so far, true talent and passion is what makes the difference.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I'm not exactly sure how you got to the conclusion that we have a smaller population. It's not like engineering classrooms are sitting half empty because of lack of interest from women. ……..so I don't see where the void would be as far as talent is concerned.

From a diversity point of view, I could see an argument there, but diversity alone only take you so far, true talent and passion is what makes the difference.

If you have a significant portion of population self selecting to not pursue certain fields then you have a smaller remaining population from which to fill the seats. Conceivably, there will be folks who choose not to pursue STEM (for whatever reason) who are better qualified then someone sitting in one of those seats.

Absolutely not talking some diversity goal at all, completely skill/capability based discussion and how folks choose to apply those skills.

Talent and passion do make a difference, and should, but don't forget naked ambition, thirst for power and greed. Those work too, work very well for a lot of people, most of whom I try to avoid
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back