you get excited about lubing things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the other day i noticed my lawnmowers front end was making a little squeak while moving the lawn. i got all excited at the thought of pulling the front end apart to re grease the axle beam.
tonight my box fan started giving that dry bearing sound. it made me giddy to think i could try out my new way to grease motors. with a medical syringe filled with 15w40.
as i was greasing the motor bushings,. i got to thinking that my creaky elbow could use something to quiet it down. for about half a second i thought of filling the syringe with baby oil and giving a few cc's to my elbow. then i came to me senses.

you guys ever get happy that you get to do some lube based maintenance? the only other kind of lube that gets me this happy is a solution of Water, Propylene Oxide, Chlorhexidine Gluconate 20%, Acetic Acid, Lavender, Propylene Glycol,
Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Polypropylene Glycol, and Sodium Acetate.

woot!

Quote:

you guys ever get happy that you get to do some lube based maintenance?

Sure. I extended the life of my CPAP machine by about 6 months with some minor surgery and some MC 5w-20. The blower looked like half of a turbo charger (not uncommon for some blowers). I tried to get a new motor from the motor manufacturer ..but they told me that they only sell to the OEM manufacturer of the machine. Eventually my insurance company had to first rent a new machine for about $1300 ..then buy it for (I think) like $2400. A couple of drops applied with a Q-tip did the job.

Quote:

the only other kind of lube that gets me this happy is a solution of Water, Propylene Oxide, Chlorhexidine Gluconate 20%, Acetic Acid, Lavender, Propylene Glycol,
Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Polypropylene Glycol, and Sodium Acetate.

woot!

There's a thread somewhere where I had to buy 20 litre pails of personal lubricant.

So just how close can you get to the edge before prematurely losing it and crossing the line?
blush.gif
whistle.gif
whistle.gif

Gary, I'm with you on the cpap deal. You got the tell-tale quasi permanent nosebridge crease yet?
frown.gif
eek.gif
whistle.gif

my fan bearings have a fabric wick, probably cotton or something which soaks up oil and keeps it around the bearings. i can get to the inner part of the bearings and the cotton without tearing the motor apart by using a medical syringe and slightly bending the needle.
this means that as its running i can slowly add lube until the cotton gets to the point where it wont soak up any more oil. thats got to be close to prefect.

it also works great for other fans motors etc, computer fans, desk fans, belt driven drill press motor, lubing the idle control valve on a car, etc.

Originally Posted By: Ruminator

Gary, I'm with you on the cpap deal. You got the tell-tale quasi permanent nosebridge crease yet?
frown.gif
eek.gif
whistle.gif

Full face. Fairly easy on the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back