You can't afford it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanx Patman, that puts it only slightly higher in price than M-1 (isn't a 4L jug $30 now?).

quote:

Do you realize how many people go to Jiffy Lube and pay $26 for an oil change? Ridiculous. I can do it myself and spend a little over $20 and use Amsoil or Mobil 1.

I can't do an oil change with synthetic for $20. In the best case I have to buy 6 quarts M1 (car needs about 5.5 quarts), so that's already about $33 (with tax). Add the Bosch filter, which costs me about $11 at the dealer (or $6 online). And I'm not going to save money at the wrong end (oil filter). After all, the whole system is only as good as its weakest link.
wink.gif

To me, it just doesn't make sense to pay more for syn when some of today's dinos put up such nice UOA numbers. If you only keep a vehicle for 4 to 6 years and maybe 100 to 150K miles like me, you may never see the difference in using a more costly oil. So why pay for it? One area where syn may be worth the extra $$ would be cold starts in arctic climates.

..keep a car 4-5 years.. interesting...
My '84 Firebird I purchased when I was 20..bought it 2nd hand (from a GM dealer) for 9500.00 sold it 18 years later for 2500.00.....
It's now the 3rd summer on my brand new '02 Acura.
Next vehicule i'm buying is a pine box....
Just trying to put thing in another perspective...
Jean

quote:

Originally posted by 2K2AcuraTL:
..keep a car 4-5 years.. interesting...
My '84 Firebird I purchased when I was 20..bought it 2nd hand (from a GM dealer) for 9500.00 sold it 18 years later for 2500.00.....
It's now the 3rd summer on my brand new '02 Acura.
Next vehicule i'm buying is a pine box....
Just trying to put thing in another perspective...
Jean

Pine box...
smile.gif

I keep them so long no one else wants them when I'm done. I've had vehicles I couldn't give away that I was still driving...

I lost track of this thread due to being evacuated due to the forest fires.
Can the oil companies justify the $7-$12 dollar asking price for their special synthetic secret formulas when a CI-4/SL dino II can be purchased for a buck or two?
I'm seriously thinking of switching to a Walmart type 15W40 CH-4 at $29.00 for a 20 litre pail and changing the oil more often, than paying $43.00 for a pail of CI-4 and extending the drain intervals.
I can't help but to agree with what Matt89 is posting.
Someone elses comment that the best way to get rid of contaminants is to drain the oil. Logic that is hard to argue against.
When in doubt, drain it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back