You are minding your own business in SF. Steve McQueen is dead. Then this happens...

IMO McQueen should have been driving the Charger R/T. IIRC The 440 had 375 hp compared to the 335 hp of the 390 stang as factory rated in 1968.
Yes but a heavier car with a heavy shotgun toting passenger. Seems like a fair fight to me especially with Mc Queen at the wheel.

Not a word of dialogue but always pretty mesmerizing. That cool background music is from Lalo Schifrin, responsible for all the original Mission Impossible music among other greats. Now, if you notice in the early scene Bullitt looks in the rear view mirror and sees the headlights and grill of the mustang, compare that to the cover of the Charger owners manual from that year..

68 charger owners manual.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221217-094750.jpg
    Screenshot_20221217-094750.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 26
IMO McQueen should have been driving the Charger R/T. IIRC The 440 had 375 hp compared to the 335 hp of the 390 stang as factory rated in 1968.
Agree. In a real chase scenario that Charger would eat that Mustang for lunch. May be stepping on toes here but a 390 Mustang was a slug. It was nose heavy and really under powered. The one used in the movie was single traction. It’s the only way it would smoke a tire. My neighbor had a 1968 Cougar 390 4 speed. His Mom’s 455 Pontiac Catalina 4 door would spank it easily. Now if McQueen would have had the 428 Mustang on the other hand…

Agree. In a real chase scenario that Charger would eat that Mustang for lunch. May be stepping on toes here but a 390 Mustang was a slug. It was nose heavy and really under powered. The one used in the movie was single traction. It’s the only way it would smoke a tire. My neighbor had a 1968 Cougar 390 4 speed. His Mom’s 455 Pontiac Catalina 4 door would spank it easily. Now if McQueen would have had the 428 Mustang on the other hand…
That Mustang McQueen was driving sounded like it was letting one long fart.

Yes. Minding your own business, your 50th Birthday. You think, "Hey, it's December. SF is sunny, the chic next to me is a generation younger, hot, English may not be her first language, but she came with me voluntarily."
Did she come with you 'voluntarily' because of your wit and charm or your bank book?

J/K but I ask because I have a cousin who is well to do and keeps getting taken by woman half his age...he doesn't seem to get why they 'like' him.

Did she come with you 'voluntarily' because of your wit and charm or your bank book?

J/K but I ask because I have a cousin who is well to do and keeps getting taken by woman half his age...he doesn't seem to get why they 'like' him.
Probably worth it.

Nope. The Bullitt Mustang is a 1968 Fastback 390. That photo is either a 1971 or 1972.
Yes, agree with you. No Bullitt there. The photo is showing a Mach1 model Mustang. They were available from 1968 thru 1978. That one does appear to be a 1971 or 1972. There is a 1972 Mach1 Black with Silver stripe sitting in a driveway down the street from us. Bullitt Mustangs are whole different animal. This talk has got me going search my ManCave DvD library for my Bullitt disc. Also own a DvD of another good "copy cat" of Bullitt type movie called The 7Ups , stars Roy Sheider (Police Chief in Jaws movies) with a very good chase scene like in Bullitt that ends with a spectacular crash. Guess I will pull that one out storage too. Love the car chases yet have no interest in that endless batch (seems like) of Fast n Furious ones? I just stumbled across some news about a new version Bullitt movie going to be made: https://carbuzz.com/news/official-a-new-bullitt-movie-has-been-approved

Last edited:
Reminds me of the time at a drive in watching the movie " Dirty Mary Crazy Larry" and there was a charger at the drive-in painted and decked out exactly like the one in the movie. Everybody in the whole place was staring at it through the whole movie.

That mustang is a hideous beast. Yuck.

The yellow “Elenor” from the original Gone in 60 Seconds pulled it off.

Back