You are given any car you want, but must keep it, daily drive it, feed it and repair it.

The first 2 cars I fell in love with were a 911 my dad bought (ostensibly for me but he was bragging really and giving a 17 year old a 911 is kind of dumb - but i did get lots of seat time before it was sold.

Then a friends dads 928 which I got TONS of drive time in and I struggle today to find a better touring car than it was.

This reminds me of that 928.

Even with the tesla advantages I still kind of want one and the 100K one is in reach.

As long as I can modify it, I'll take another fox body. Probably a notch since I had a hatch before. Has to stay stock?, my 99 gs400 is about perfect

I saw this question on another forum and the responses were very interesting. So I thought I'd post a similar question here among the motoring enthusiasts.

Rules: You will be given any car or light truck you'd like, cost is no option. But you must drive it 87% of the time, you must feed it, you must insure and maintain it completely and properly. Put tires and brakes on it, you can't use it for any form of commerce, you can't lend it out sell it or swap it for another vehicle for daily tasks or trips. In other words, it's your baby. The 13% you can drive another vehicle is just for practical reasons, such as picking up concrete or plywood.

What do you choose and why?

I'm
I would happily use my Cadillac...except I won't drive that on salted roads. If it could be a summer-only car...honestly, the Green Brick.

As long as I can modify it, I'll take another fox body. Probably a notch since I had a hatch before. Has to stay stock?, my 99 gs400 is about perfect

You must maintain it properly. If modifications consist of improper maintenance, then they will be forbidden. :) :)

Example: The removal of catalytic converters will be allowed, because said removal both reduces greenhouse gasses and lets the engine naturally breathe better. :) (remember cat-con converts unburned hydrocarbons and CO into CO2)

The installation of nitrous or twin turbochargers on your fox body won't be allowed, as it overstresses the OEM parts.

As a caveat, I know that the OP asked what car a person would want, irrespective of the cost... And having said this, my response is slightly off-the-mark relative to the OP's question...

People poke fun at Lada's (i.e. the body style which originally was a Fiat 124 4-door)... and neither Lada's (nor Fiat's for that matter) were particularly well rust-proofed. And they were/are not aerodynamic or dashing. However, the underpinnings of the car was pretty decent. Independent frt suspension, wishbones. Four-link rear axle with a Panhard rod. And in Fiat guise - a pretty free-revving engine... be it the OHV 1400, or latterly the 1592cc DOHC. Also, knowing Fiat, I rather suspect that the steering was decent by way of road-feel (certainly was unassisted, and likely was a worm and roller arragement). I think in the end the Fiat 124 had four wheel disc brakes.

I have always wondered what that boxy Lada would drive like if it had a 1608cc or 1798cc or a 2 litre Fiat DOHC... with two 40IDF Weber carburetors and a Fiat 5 speed transmission... and other Fiat running gear (possibly, also, a ltd. slip differential). I would bet it would fit right-in.
So why not the original Fiat version rather than the Lada?

So why not the original Fiat version rather than the Lada?
'Cuz Fiat's truly are rust buckets; the tin worm has its way right before your eyes. No decent examples really exist... and the parts situation is hopeless. At a certain point in time a person has to leave one's memories of machinery-past - in the past...

Last edited:
You must maintain it properly. If modifications consist of improper maintenance, then they will be forbidden. :) :)

Example: The removal of catalytic converters will be allowed, because said removal both reduces greenhouse gasses and lets the engine naturally breathe better. :) (remember cat-con converts unburned hydrocarbons and CO into CO2)

The installation of nitrous or twin turbochargers on your fox body won't be allowed, as it overstresses the OEM parts.
I will take a Green Brick. 67-9 Valiant 100 with autocross suspension and a rip-roaring, fire breathing 550hp Ray Barton bullet.

At this point in my life? I'd take a new Honda Ridgeline. The poor Accord is starting to get up there in age and I'd like to have something to haul minor household items to keep maintenance on the house up. I already tend to keep cars forever. 45 years old and I still own 2 out of the 5 cars I've ever owned (None of the 3 bikes though).

HC is likely a bigger impact green house gas than CO2, and it causes local SMOG. You are breaking the federal law by removing it. It is not "maintained properly" by removing it.

HC is likely a bigger impact green house gas than CO2, and it causes local SMOG. You are breaking the federal law by removing it. It is not "maintained properly" by removing it.
I reinstalled cats on both my old cars because the smell without them gave me migraines.

Hollow them out and put them back on!
They were hollow on the one car, but they don't make the smell go away unless they actually have working guts inside. Had to buy 2 for one car (dual exhaust) and one for the other. Now they smell fine other than some rotten egg smell when you run it hard.

1969 Z/28 with the RS/SS package.

Z282.jpg

Last edited:
They were hollow on the one car, but they don't make the smell go away unless they actually have working guts inside. Had to buy 2 for one car (dual exhaust) and one for the other. Now they smell fine other than some rotten egg smell when you run it hard.

Ahh.. okay. So the innards scrub the smell, the hollowed out ones (an emissions cheat some claim works) stinks like rotten eggs?

Back