Yokohama - Oh mama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new set of Yokohama V rated 225-55-16 tires for the wife's Cadillac Catera. Best tires I have ever purchased!!! So smoth and quiet. Made a HUGE difference in the ride. So quiet, smooth and nice handling too. I can't imagine a more dramatic difference before and after. It's like driving a different car.

I called around town and got quotes on Goodyear, BFGoodrich, Bridgestone, Cooper, etc. Some were Z rated some were H rated, I wanted a smooth quiet ride more than I wanted Z rated high performance tires and we don't do any racing or wild driving.

I told the guy I wanted a smooth, quiet ride and I'm glad I listened to the guy at Tire Kingdom and took his recommendation based on what I told him I wanted.

I could have gotten a Goodyear something or other from WallyWorld, but I really didn't want to deal with them for something so important. Sam's Club had a BFGoodrich performance tire but it was special order and I didn't like the guy's attitude over the phone-lucky break for me.

The Yokohamas cost me $500 on the rim and out the door. Being a bit conservative as I get older I opted for the road hazard, that added another $50, and they got me for a front end alignment for another $50. Not the cheapest deal probably, but I am so happy with the tires, I don't even care.

Glad you're so happy!

I put some new Avid TRZs on my car about 4,000mi ago and also couldn't be happier!

Yokohama has my business in the future! Great quality tires!

I've had the yoko avid h4s's on my car since feb, and put a little over 20k on them. They are excellent tires that i would recommend to anyone.

I rotated them the other day, and i was a little shocked at the front vs rear wear. When new, they have 10/32" of tread. My rear tires had 9/32", and front were down to 5-6/32".

They should have a long warranty. You may be able to get some nice new tires!
smile.gif

BTW, my AVID TRZs have an 80k warranty! Yay!

When I bought the tires the guy at Tire Kingdom stressed that I come back every 6000 miles for rotation to maintain the warranty and to make sure the tires wear evenly. The set I got is directional so the front go to the back and the back come to the front instead of a more complicated rotation scheme. They have a 60,000 mile treadwear rating, the Z rated tires had no treadwear rating.

I looked the tires over pretty good before I bought them and I noticed that the sidewalls are pretty soft and flexible. I wonder if that's why they're so smooth and quiet? The rubber seems pretty soft too. He also showed me that these tires are not made clamshell style, they are segments that are put together, I've never seen that before.

My wife and son have now both driven the car and are also very impressed with the ride and handling of the car after the new tires.

I realized after some of the comments that I need to drive the car a lot more to REALLY judge the tires, like in the rain etc., but at first blush I was really happy, it makes such a difference in your enjoyment of a car.

They have a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty. I have no idea how it works, what i should do, etc. So i guess i'll have to look into that.
worshippy.gif

Newly installed tires usually provide "excellent" feel. Let us know how they are in 10K.
smile.gif

The road hazard plan is never a bad idea unless you never have to use it. I bought some really expensive tires. I had to have a couple replaced due to nails. The $160+ tire cost me $16 for the road hazard on the new one. Without the road hazard, I would have been out $500 in a couple of weeks as I had 3 of them get nails in unrepairable locations. It is usually good practice to get the alignment checked when new tires are installed. My tire store will do this for free when you buy the tires from them. If the alignment is out of spec, then they will charge you to correct it obviously but if it is within spec, then you are out nothing.

The treadware warranties should be taken with a grain of salt. Most mfgs have a uniformity warranty that is separate from treadware (2/32 I think). The treadware warranty is prorated. If your tires only last 40K, you can plan on paying almost 100% for new ones. You have to read the fine print.

I asked about the treadwear warranty and the road hazard. Non prorated for the first year. After that is goes by how much tread is left. I imagine that in the first two or even maybe three years it's a good deal and the replacement will be a minimal cost, after much more than that you are going to pay almost as much as a new tire costs as was mentioned. It's $50 peace of mind insurance. I've blown more than that easily on ?crap, in fact a tank of gas for most of my vehicles now costs $50-$60.

If the improvement in ride smoothness, quietness and handling continues in 10k, 15k miles etc. then I would say that it was money well spent and Yokohamas will be going on more of my vehicles. It was more than I wanted to spend, but for now I feel like I got my money's worth.

quote:

Originally posted by stogiedude:
I asked about the treadwear warranty and the road hazard. Non prorated for the first year. After that is goes by how much tread is left. I imagine that in the first two or even maybe three years it's a good deal and the replacement will be a minimal cost, after much more than that you are going to pay almost as much as a new tire costs as was mentioned.

Threadwear warranties are usually based on full mfrs suggested list price. A tire that wears out 40% early might cost as much to replace under a treadware warranty as buying it outright at a discount tire source.

Yokohamas are fantastic tires,have used them since 80s and have never regretted,from high performance to off road,they can't be beat.

quote:

The set I got is directional so the front go to the back and the back come to the front instead of a more complicated rotation scheme.

If you're going back to the shop to have the tires rotated, they should also flip the tires on the wheels. So that the inside of your left rear tire becomes the outside of the right front, the outside of the right front becomes the inside of the left rear, etc.

It's pretty unusual to see tires wear perfectly evenly across the tread, so flipping them on the wheels helps to maximize treadlife.

quote:

Originally posted by drewjp:
Glad you're so happy!

I put some new Avid TRZs on my car about 4,000mi ago and also couldn't be happier!

Yokohama has my business in the future! Great quality tires!

same with me, except i have 16000 miles on them

My question is how do you prove how long the tires have been on your vehicle for the treadwear warranty? I have a dated reciept, but it does not list my vehicle mileage at the time of install.

When I bought mine they recorded the odometer reading. They should do that every time you buy a set of tires. They expect me back every 6000 miles for rotation to keep the warranty intact. No rotation per recommended guidlines then no treadwear warranty will be honored and no replacement if premature wear occurs.

Yokohoma frequently uses Rayon construction, even on the high performance models. Thats part of the reason they're so smooth and quiet. The Yokohamas I've had also had relatively soft rubber with excellent traction.

I had Yoko's on my Mitsu Galant. They were great in the rain and snow for an all season tire. I plan on getting a set for my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid within the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back