Yokohama Geolanders A/T ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent tires, OEM on Land Cruisers, do equally well on and off road with good life and low noise.

I had these on my 98 Chev K1500. They were great. I wish I would have switched them to my new truck when I got it. These will be my next set. They look like big lugs but ride very nice. Mine were LT265/75-16.

Whats amazing is that compared to my Dueler A/T, the sidewalls in Geolanders can take far more abuse.

Good.

I do have a set on my Dodge Diesel, however, that's quite a vehicle (size wise) and wanted to get opinions from others.

I had them on a 01 Isuzu Trooper, awesome tires. I used to have a couple of Jeeps and tested many tires; BFG A/T, Firestone Wilderness A/T, Goodyear Wrangler, none of those tires were as good as the Yokos. Price can't be beat either, actually a case where you can get a quality product for a low price. When my Michelins wear out on my Camry I plan on switching to some Yokohoma TRZs ... I just hope Yokohoma doesn't decide before then that they really need to charge more.

quote:

Originally posted by guile:
I had them on a 01 Isuzu Trooper, awesome tires. I used to have a couple of Jeeps and tested many tires; BFG A/T, Firestone Wilderness A/T, Goodyear Wrangler, none of those tires were as good as the Yokos. Price can't be beat either, actually a case where you can get a quality product for a low price. When my Michelins wear out on my Camry I plan on switching to some Yokohoma TRZs ... I just hope Yokohoma doesn't decide before then that they really need to charge more.

What size did you have on your Trooper?

Thinking about the 265/70's, but wondering if I should get the 75's on the Rodeo

I had 265/70x16" on my Trooper, this was an increase from the stock 245/??x16" size. I thought about mounting 265/75s and actually did have one side mounted just to check it out, but with the stock suspension and gearing I was worried about clearance and power loss. The 265/70s fit great though, no clearance issues and I could barely detect any power loss ... the Isuzu 3.5l is a great engine.

I've seen 265/75s mounted on a Trooper, they look good, just consider the potential trade-offs. I've even seen 285/75s mounted on a Trooper with a mild lift installed, now those tires really made the Trooper look tough. Thought I'd hate to think what the power loss was. I once upgraded a stock Cherokee (225/75x15") to 31/10.5x15" tires, looked great but the beast could barely pull itself uphill after the larger tires were installed.

I was wondering, hesitating to use the 75's as well - due to powerloss. And the 70's only weight 38#, whereas the 75's are 50#.

I did run a temporary set of the 265/75's last year, they were a used set of the Michelin's 10-ply that had come off a diesel truck.

When they wore out, I decided to go back to a 245/75 - which, I have got to say, was a bad choice. As they are taller without going wider - gave me feelings of being typsy.

The Yok's, have you had any problems with the sidewall strength?

It's not so much the weight that matters as the effect the overall tire diameter has on your gear ratios. I know that some will say going from a 75 to a 70 won't make that much of a difference, but when you've already increased your overall size by going from a 245/70 (original size of stock tire on my Trooper) to a 265/70 you want to avoid any additional power loss.

I didn't have any problems with the sidewall strength on my Yokos.

Figured i'd throw in a few cents here, since i was promoting these tires in another thread.

I ran 32x11.5x15 AT+2's, and they were great on the highway, as they are sticky, and the sidewalls are decently stiff for such a tall tire.

off road, I would drop down to 15-20psi (not doing anything real extreme, just wanted some extra float in the mud) and they handled everything I threw at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back