Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 or snow tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to purchase a 2008 Lincoln Mark LT (long bed) truck with 4x4.

Would I want (what Tire Rack calls) a "On-/Off-Road All-Terrain" tire
for use in a New England Winter or a designated Winter tire ("snow tire")
like the Blizzak? I expect to be in snow: both deep and shallow, and
the slickest of ice. Which is better for that? Is a "On-/Off-Road All-Terrain"
tire just a Winter Tire for general purpose? Or is a Winter tire like
the Blizzak preferable?

Having a set of dedicated snow tires will definitely be better for winter use; I have General Grabber Arctics.

However, you can't use them in warm weather. Part of what makes them great for winter use is the soft rubber compound. They'll wear very quickly if used in the summer. I run snow tires November through March.

If you want a single set of tires for year-round use, I've found the General Grabber AT2 and Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor to both be better than the Yokohamas you mentioned. They won't be as good in foul weather as a dedicated snow tire, but they're the next best thing.

Thanks.
Sadly, looks like the SilentArmor isn't made in 275/65R18.

People rave about the Geolander G015 on TireRack. Is such a
tire really more for off-road anyway? Would I want that as
a tire for Massachusetts-to-South-Florida road trips?
The Blizzak would lose all its compound on such a trip.
I really want a best-of-all-worlds, won't-need-anything-else
sort of tire. But maybe that's unrealistic.

All-terrain tires are great for many uses, and are just fine for long trips. Keep them properly inflated, rotated regularly, and make sure your vehicle is aligned.

I've got Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my Jeep now, but I've used all the others mentioned on my vehicles, including the Yokohamas. I still think the General Grabber AT3 was the best of the bunch; outstanding snow performance with good dry road manners.

General Grabber AT2 are awesome. Had them on my last two trucks. I wouldn't waste time with snow tires, you have 4x4. Ht tires are even fine with 4wd.

Good Winter tires are always much better on ice and packed snow.

on light snow and deep snow a mountain snowflake rated all-terrain is great.

Being you are from florida

I certainly wouldnt want a RWD truck in a real winter. as my first option.

Most truck 4x4 are part-time.

So they are terrible in variable conditions on the highway..

Is this a rhetorical question or something that is actually happening.

The Blizzaks, or any winter tires, would be better in snow and ice than an A/T tire.

You may need to use two separate sets of tires, and change them in Virginia
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
Good Winter tires are always much better on ice and packed snow.

on light snow and deep snow a mountain snowflake rated all-terrain is great.

Being you are from florida

I certainly wouldnt want a RWD truck in a real winter. as my first option.

Most truck 4x4 are part-time.

So they are terrible in variable conditions on the highway..

Is this a rhetorical question or something that is actually happening.
People drive 2wd vehicles all over Wisconsin throughout winter. I have to laugh at people over thinking tires. Get a good AT tire and keep on keepin on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you just making highway trips through New England or will you set up housekeeping in Cape Cod?

They keep the main roads plowed and salted enough to be passable 362 days a year.

Is this going to be your only vehicle, or your only vehicle within 2000 miles? It'd be nice to keep a car on normal tires for road trips then switch to the 4x4 with snows during a storm.

I'm in the Rockies 8500' and am running the G015s. I'm not saying they are the equivalent to Blizzaks but, they are 3 peak/snowflake rated and most A/T tires are not. A lot of my fellow Coloradans run them.

Originally Posted By: Bronco1
I'm in the Rockies 8500' and am running the G015s. I'm not saying they are the equivalent to Blizzaks but, they are 3 peak/snowflake rated and most A/T tires are not. A lot of my fellow Coloradans run them.

A/T will move good forward. Stoping and handling in corners in snow and ice is another thing.
I always find amazing that people are still more worried about moving forward then stoping.

Originally Posted By: sgc2c
Thanks.

If you want a jack of all trades, including winter, then consider the Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus tires.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Thanks.

If you want a jack of all trades, including winter, then consider the Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus tires.

+1 The winter rated all terrain tires are pretty good for winter driving. We put a set of multimile xtx sports on the CRV and they are fine on everything but smooth sheets of ice (but we don't drive then anyways). A true ice tire would be better for that, but those get destroyed fast in warm weather.
99% of winter driving is knowing when to stay home, and driving to the conditions. Tires do make a huge difference, but you still have to know how to play it safe in the conditions you've got.

Thanks.

Are you relocating to Mass from Florida or, just traveling back and forth? Your location lists you as Florida. I relocated from socal to CO a few years back. I was using michelins as my summer tires and blizzaks during winter with about 350 lbs of ballast over the rear wheels. Most of the 4x4 people I know here use a 3 peak/snowflake rated tire, this includes the guys who run snow plows. They don't grip quite as good as something like a blizzak on ice but, they are functional. If you go the G015 route, i'd recommend some rear wheel ballast despite having 4x4. Indylan hit it on the head saying, "99% of winter driving is knowing when to stay home, and driving to the conditions. "

It will likely happen: Cape Cod Winters and South Florida from May-November.
[Don't ask me to explain it ... ]

Cape winters tend to not be so bad. I would recommend going with a good set of AT tires. Have you considered the Firestone AT? I have never been a big Firestone fan but their Destination AT tires have great traction and good road manners. Will be nice considering the miles you will be driving on them.

This is the perfect tire for your situation...a true AT tire but with emphasis on real winter performance.

Cooper Discoverer A/TW
discovereratw_black_top2.jpg

I forgot about the Cooper ATW. They were very expensive when I looked last, but perhaps that was they had just rolled out.

That would be a good choice, although I think the Grabber AT2 is the best overall value.

To answer a few questions, I'd be driving from Florida to Cape Cod on something other than a Winter tire (compound would wear right off on a snow-less 1700-mile drive).
Hence I wonder if an on/off-road AT tire like the G015 is suitable for everything since I'd use that as the go-to tire.
What I was really wondering was, would the G015 stand up to a Massachusetts Winter (I lived through 40+ of those) or would I be better off and closer to never-ever-slip on ice and snow with the Blizzaks (or other Winter tire)?
The truck would return to S. Florida in warmer-weather months the same way it got to Cape Cod.

For the tires some people mentioned, are you sure they are available in 275/65R18 ?
Especially the Nokians...?

Speaking of routes -- and not to get off-topic -- but for those of you who've made that trip, do you prefer my suggested route or do you have a better one?
I prefer avoiding tolls (other than Mass Pike and the Newburgh-Beacon bridge in NY) and the big cities like NYC and particularly DC.
My route is (northward): 95 --> 17 --> 66 --> 81 --> 84 --> MA Pike to Boston.
[84 to 495 to get to Cape Cod directly].
Chime in at will.

Yes, those Yokohamas will hold up in a Mass winter. I had them on a Subaru through a couple of very severe winters in Northern NY. They did fine, although I found the Grabbers to perform better in all conditions.

You've got to choose for yourself whether to have a second set of winter tires. It's worth it for me, but my driving needs are unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back