Yokohama AVS db S2 tires...got'em, finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, thanks to everyone here who recommended these tires to me a few weeks ago.

I never knew that good/new tires can make such a difference..
I've been running on pretty badly worn and noisy overpriced s-rated Michelin symmetry's, and for the last few months I've been sliding over every little puddle, and sqeaking, and bumping, and rattling and, and....

Today I got the new Yokohama AVS Decibel S2 (225/60/16)put on:
$97 a tire at tire rack, W-rated, tempA and traction A

...and what a difference: quiet, smooth, and such great handling...the vibe I had at 40mph and 65 mph is GONE!
They handle great, even in rain, when taking curves fast. The car even feels like it's faster 'cause the tires are so stable, and roll easily. I drive in a very "decent" fashion normally, but today I felt like driving like a mad man!(and I did)...these tires are supposed to be the quietest ultra high performance all season tires Yokohama ever madc, and i can really testify to that...up to 65 mph i can hear absolutely NO road noise...after that, minimal.

I had the mounting place use the Hunter GSP9700 machine, and they balanced them well. This really is the best balancer ever made. The 97 t-bird's 16" oem wheels are a pain to balance, and this machine is the solution.

However, I didn't get the alignment done yet, 'cause my front inner tie rods have to be replaced. The old tires made me think there was a lot more wrong with my suspension. with the Yoko's I can feel only 5% of the harshness I felt with my old tires. With tie rods and alignment, and rear irs bushings, I hope it will ride like new again.

....I can highly recommend these tires to anyone.
Sorry for the long post...just wanted to share the happiness of bird getting new shoes-))

Glad to hear it's better.
Almost bought some no named tires today but couldnt justify the cost. But the man did do my alignment, and I have to say, so far so good. I think I may have finally found an alignment man in the Houston Area. I'll know more after several weeks.
I did notice an oil leak of some kind. I just cant figure it out, unless my rear seal was not done right and is leaking...
Anyway, sure is better riding on a properly aligned auto than one you have to ride the steering wheel to one side or have to brace for any puddle on the road... I like TRACTION, period.

These tires are like unobtanium. No one has them in stock in my size (205/60-15). Tirerack is backordered and locally, no tire stores or distibutors have ever seen them. My old Pirelli P600's are getting noisy and losing grip after 30,000+ miles.

Tirerack's consumer reports are an excellent place to learn how well a particular tire has worked for others. I tried a set of Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP's on my last 6 speed Z/28 based on those reviews, man what a tire, glued to the road wet or dry. There's nothing like rolling on good rubber.

Ah.. The tyre dilemma. I'd LIKE the SZ50 or the dB S2, but just the price gets me.

And from what reviews i've read, the Falken ZE-512 gives almost equal performance at almost half the price. Makes ya wonder, huh.

ferb!

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
What vehicle and size ferb?

'98 Grand Prix GTP. 225/60/16. Little on the narrow side, but i don't want to deal with fender rolling and whatnot. *shrug*

ferb!

In that price range, the Falken looks like the best tire. I have no experience with it, but I've heard good things about it.

I am a big fan of the Kumho Ecsta 712, but you'd have to go to 245/50 to get that.

A CHEAP tire for me $101.

[ December 22, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back