yokohama avid trz

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just ordered a set from tire rack. the reviews on tire rack looked really good, esp when compared to my oem goodyear eagle ls's. i was wondering if anyone here had any experience with these tires. i have used yoko avid s/t on my 85 monte ss in the past and loved them, i just hope these are half as good. the price was great $53/ea

I just bought a set of Yokohama Avid H4S a month ago for my 95 Maxima. They are highly rated on tirerack and are a step up from the TRZ. I quite like them so far - they're very quiet and great in wet weather. I haven't tried them out on the twisties yet, but will in due course.

What car are they going on - your 85 monte ss or is it history? I don't think you can go wrong with the TRZ, but I would prefer the H4S for my car with its sport suspension and 5-speed manual tranny.

the monte is kind of history, its sitting at the back of the driveway waiting for me to graduate. then the fun begins. right now im driving a 2004 dodge neon sxt with a manual trans. its mainly for driving back and forth to school. thats about all i have time to do. so with the 700 treadwear rating and 80000 mile warrenty i should be able to keep these tires on for a very long time. i dont see many if any track visits in my near future so that will help. they are replacing the goodyears as mentioned above, thank *** they are coming off. i never liked those tires. seemed to have bad wet traction. when pulling away from a toll booth in the rain it would be guarenteed to spin them over a couple of times when i was just putzing along. i wouldnt even be all the way out of the clutch.

supposedly the trz has a little better wet traction and hydro resistance and tredwear. but i think that is based on user surveys. so they may have been exaggerated a little. i would have definetly considered the h4s if they offered it in my size, 185/60/15. its kind of an oddball which makes no sense at all. put an odd size tire on a cheap car. my mom spent $400 for eagle rs/a's on her neon. they were the best option of the three choices the tire center offered. walmart doesnt even stock this size.

either way i think any tire would be better than the eagle ls's and i hope i get atleast twice the milage out of the yoko's. i only have 35000 miles on the ls's and they are having problems. one day on decided to start leaking 2 psi per day, no nails/screws or visble leaks, fixaflat fixed that for the time being. i wonder if it will stop pulling with new tires? dealer said alignment was fine when i had them check it out and they said it was because i was running 38 psi in them (door says 32 but i never follow that).

I just ordered a set for our CR-V. A lot of CR-V owners reviewed them on TR. I'll check back in.

I put mine on 11/5. compared to my original eagle ls they are a million times better. ride is a lot smoother. cant go wrong when i spent $90 less than the eagle ls's cost (set of 4) and i got a better tire.

Tomorrow will be my 1st day in the rain. I had an emergency stop due to deer, and they did better than the Nexen that I had to do the same thing on because of heavy stop-n-go traffic. They were not even a day old and stopped well. They are smooth, as stated.

im hoping for some rain soon, i want to see how they do. after that bring on the snow.

They were great in the rain today. I could not even get a hint that they were letting loose. Our roads here allow PLENTY of antics. They are my new favourite tire. Plenty of sizes and good price. The extra-deep tread will be nice in snow. Wear rating of 700??? seems odd, I'd expect them to be like rocks.

Audi Junkie,

Looking forward to hearing how well they perform in the snow. I'm interested in the TRZ as a replacement for my Michelin's.

TRZ has one of the best overall ratings at tirerack.com and was recently rated #4 on a Consumer Reports test. Great prices also ... seems to be one of the better choices in tires.

it is odd how they have a 700 treadwear rating and still get such good traction. yokohama seems to really know what they are doing.

guile: i am pretty much in the exact same area as you, i drive to college park every day. ill post as soon as i get some snow info.

racer12306

I agree with you that yokohama knows what they are doing. Years ago I used to really be into off-roading ... built a couple of Jeeps and had a stock (but very capable) Isuzu Trooper. Anyway, over the years I tried a variety of tires, the popular BFG A/T, Firestone Wilderness, Goodyear M/S and others. The Yokohama Geolander A/T was, by far, the best tire. Great performance on and off-road. The best part about Yokohama, (IMHO) is the price ... just goes to show that you can still buy quality products at reasonable prices.

I'm new to the area, when do you expect the first snow?

this year winter is supposed to be bad (so i hear). normally snow doesnt start until late dec or early jan. (x-mas/new years time) but it may be more like early or mid dec this year. who knows maybe thansgiving. i hope not though. i would like to go a little longer than that, even though i want to try out the tires in the snow.

i did get to drive through a lot of rain yesterday. all i have to say is awesome tires in the wet. in one situation i had to floor it to get going into traffic, my old tires would have spun hard, these tires bit and went.

I just drove the CR-V w/TRZ for 5 hours in pouring rain on the highway. Passing trucks and all other manuovers were great. My new favourite tire. Size line-up looks good to me as well.

in my tire size they weigh the same as my oem tires, 18 lbs. i did lose a few mpg but i think my plugs need to be changed.

AJ, I looked into the TRZ, but I (as always) found a negative on them. Have you lost gas mileage or stopping distance on the TRZs? The TRZs are about 3-5 lbs heavier than other brand tires of the same size.

Tried them in light snow last night. They bit down hard during panic braking. Could not get them loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back